YUCK!!! BUILD-UP ON SCALP

Nanyanika

Ladies how can i get rid of this stuff on my scalp. It must be from the sulfur oil mix i've been using. I've tried shampooing with no avail. i'd appreciate your help

RZILYNT

You may have to try Nizoral or Selsum blue. They help with dermatitus types of build up on the scalp. I would bump this for more suggestions ftom some of the other ladies that may have experienced this problem.

HoneyDew

How many times did yo clarify Den? I noticed that it was a few shampoos and conditions before my scalp got normal after trying to use sulfur last year. Also I had to really get down in there with my fingers to scrub my scalp and roots.

sistawithsumthin

Have someone look at your scalp for you and see if it looks like a scab. My daughter has dermatitis and it could definitely look like buildup.

It could be some form of dermatitis especially if you are washing frequently and it is still there.

BTW I have been a fan of yours for a long time!

Last edited:

cutiebe2

try a scalp scrub...there is one from ORS but if you want to make your own, I would combine olive oil with sugar and gently scrub it on the scalp, then rise out and use your clarifying shampoo again because my this time you have lifted up all the grime so it can now me easily washed out

Nanyanika

RZILYNT said:
You may have to try Nizoral or Selsum blue. They help with dermatitus types of build up on the scalp. I would bump this for more suggestions ftom some of the other ladies that may have experienced this problem.
i'm baffled by this issue, i don't actually have scalp problems i think its probably because i haven't clarified in a while. i will clarify again

Nanyanika

HoneyDew said:
How many times did yo clarify Den? I noticed that it was a few shampoos and conditions before my scalp got normal after trying to use sulfur last year. Also I had to really get down in there with my fingers to scrub my scalp and roots.
Only one lathering, didn't want to dry my hair out. I think my scalp needs a good exfoliating

Nanyanika

cutiebe2 said:
try a scalp scrub...there is one from ORS but if you want to make your own, I would combine olive oil with sugar and gently scrub it on the scalp, then rise out and use your clarifying shampoo again because my this time you have lifted up all the grime so it can now me easily washed out
thanks for your suggetions, i will try this next time

Nanyanika

sistawithsumthin said:
Have someone look at your scalp for you and see if it looks like a scab. My daughter has dermatitis and it could definitely look like buildup.

It could be some form of dermatitis especially if you are washing frequently and it is still there.

BTW I have been a fan of yours for a long time!
I sincerely hope its not a form of dermatitis, i think i better stop using the oil on my scalp. i don't wash frequently because i'm trying to keep manipulation at a low. thanks for the compliment

HoneyDew

cutiebe2 said:

that's sounds like a good idea.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
If its that bad and several shampoos havent helped, you may want to try adding the shampoo to your hair while its dry so the detergent can get to the oil directly. I've never come across anything that clarifying shampoor or acv wont take care of.

sherann

Enchantmt said:
If its that bad and several shampoos havent helped, you may want to try adding the shampoo to your hair while its dry so the detergent can get to the oil directly. I've never come across anything that clarifying shampoor or acv wont take care of.

When I get yucky buildup, I start with dry hair, section my hair and apply the clarifying shampoo with a light hand(as though I were applying hair oil) to my scalp. In each spot, after applying the shampoo, I really rub the shampoo into the scalp. Step in the shower rinse really well.

One more suggestion...You may want to add a little Baking Soda to yur shampoo (especially a clarifying one). The Baking Soda raises the alkalinity of the shampoo to make it even more effective. It will not harm your hair or scalp in any way, and is actually good for both. This method even helps to seal your cuticle and soften hair.

I guess I add about one Tablespoon to a quarter sized amount of shampoo and I also leave it on my hair a few mins. I am usually doing other things like shaving, lathering my body, etc.

Dare~to~Dream

I apply the shampoo directly to my scalp (parting small sections) and then I use a shampoo brush to really "scrub" the scalp...love it. I never thought about using a shampoo brush until I visited another forum and someone mentioned that they used this at every wash....it's a neat little thing.

shunta

Lanelle said:
I apply the shampoo directly to my scalp (parting small sections) and then I use a shampoo brush to really "scrub" the scalp...love it. I never thought about using a shampoo brush until I visited another forum and someone mentioned that they used this at every wash....it's a neat little thing.
Hmm...a shampoo brush, huh?:scratchch Does it make the hair tangled?

Dare~to~Dream

shunta said:
Hmm...a shampoo brush, huh?:scratchch Does it make the hair tangled?

No, my hair doesn't get tangled from the brush but since it's supposedly growing longer the shampoo and even the conditioner can tangle it (because I'm not relaxed). I apply the shampoo only to the scalp but now I also either braid or twist the hair...and then use the brush. I have tried two different types...currently I'm using the Denman shampoo brush. Before that I used this cute little shampoo brush and it was actually made with soft "rubber" bristles that were much more gentle on the scalp than the current one I'm using from Denman. The latter is made of regular plastic (not as soft as the rubber bristles) and you have to be careful to not get too rough but it works just the same in regards to cleaning the scalp.

LABETT

I use Polysorbate 80 to remove buildup from my scalp.
Before shampooing I rub some drop on my scalp for five to ten minutes and you can immediatley feel it warming up on your scalp and I start massaging then rinse my scalp feels great.
I also noticed it has help thicken my hair.

I heard the Hairever Cleansing Scalp treatment is good I have not tried it yet.
These products can be purchase at Puritan's Pride,plus the have a sale going on right now buy 2 get 3 free.

Nanyanika

sherann said:
When I get yucky buildup, I start with dry hair, section my hair and apply the clarifying shampoo with a light hand(as though I were applying hair oil) to my scalp. In each spot, after applying the shampoo, I really rub the shampoo into the scalp. Step in the shower rinse really well.
thanks!!! i'm going to try this soon

Misseyl

Even thou I used a clarifying shampoo I also had buildup on my scalp -- my hair was squeaky clean but my scalp was oily. I know I only experience this when I have too much newgrowth. I'm 17 weeks post and will be doing a touchup in 15 days so I know this touchpu will eliminate this problem.. Plus when I dry my hair w/my bonnet dryer, all the grease melt so I didn't have any dry scalp issues...