Who uses molasses in their hair?

Kurlee

I been seeing this mentioned lately. Who uses it and how? What does it do for you. Molasses are much cheaper than honey:look:

Aggie

I also use organic blackstrap molasses but not as a moisturizer because it is a protein. I use it as a pre-poo mixed with some moisturizing conditioner like CON ultra nourishing conditioner or mizani moisturefuse or kenra moisture conditioner and leave it on for about an hour with a plastic cap. This does wonders to reduce breakage.

bravenewgirl87

I also use organic blackstrap molasses but not as a moisturizer because it is a protein. I use it as a pre-poo mixed with some moisturizing conditioner like CON ultra nourishing conditioner or mizani moisturefuse or kenra moisture conditioner and leave it on for about an hour with a plastic cap. This does wonders to reduce breakage.
Ditto! Makes my hair strong for heat styling

Demi27

I just used it this weekend for the first time. I mixed a few other things in it as well. I let it sit on my head for about 45 minutes and then washed/condioned as usual.

I used black strap molasses (which is supposed to be better than regular molasses). I found it at the Whole Foods Supermarket by my house.

MJ

My deep conditioner usually consist of a mix of conditioners, honey, black strap molasses, and, sometimes, oils. My hair feels better when I use it. I deep condition my hair once or twice each week.

Kurlee

Did a DC with black strap molasses, honey, castor oil and a little affirm 5n1. Left it on for an hour and about half of that time was with heat. Im a DC like this every other week, my hair was so ft, yet strong feeling after i rinse and NO TANGLES :grin:

Isis

I didn't realize it's a protein. I use blackstrap as a food and in my Vermont Cocktail. Haven't tried it on my hair yet...Thank you Aggie for sharing this. :)

Isis

I just used it this weekend for the first time. I mixed a few other things in it as well. I let it sit on my head for about 45 minutes and then washed/condioned as usual.

I used black strap molasses (which is supposed to be better than regular molasses). I found it at the Whole Foods Supermarket by my house.
I eat/drink Blackstrap because of all the vitamins and minerals it has, including iron. It's like the bottom of the barrel when making molasses. You're right about regular molasses--it is mainly sugar.

Aggie

I didn't realize it's a protein. I use blackstrap as a food and in my Vermont Cocktail. Haven't tried it on my hair yet...Thank you Aggie for sharing this. :)

You're quite welcomed Isis. I've also just started taking the Vermont cocktail and I actually like it. I sometimes make it hot like a tea and sometimes like a cool refreshing drink.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I use molasses as a prepoo from time to time. I mix mine with conditioner and maybe some EVOO and slather it on for about 20-30 minutes and then rinse out. It's a really good mild protein treatment and it's natural, so for those of you who don't like putting all that other stuff in your hair, this really comes in handy. Just make sure you add enough condish to balance it out so that it doesn't make your hair hard, sticky, and tangled:nono:

sweetwhispers

I took my hair out of a weave 2 days ago. I was experiencing a ridiculous amount of breakage ( i'm transitioning) Broken little pieces were every where. I saw this thread on BHM. I used organic blackstrap molasses added to my superdrug coconut and almond conditioner and some castor oil. I left it on overnight (by mistake) washed it out than DCed with Lustrasilk. My breakage has decreased by like 80%. I will be using this monthly i think.

I use it as a way to relax my new growht and this works really well. I don't put it anywhere except for on my new growth using the following method below and it really worked and my hair felt softer afterwards. I don't use blackstrap just the regular old organic stuff.

Ingredients
MOLASSES (organic)
HONEY (organic)
OLIVE OIL
GLYCERIN
WATER
Dove Intensive CONDITIONER
CASTOR OIL

Mixture Ratio
*i used slightly more molasses than conditioner the molasses was poured in first, then 1 spoonful of olive on top w/ a little castor oil
*a small dose of water and couple of drops of glycerin was next
*mixed this together
*then added conditioner last to make consistency less thick

Application
*used hair color brush and applied it only on new growth all over head
*put plastic cap over head and sat for 30-40 mins with heat
*rinsed out w/ water only (newgrowth felt loosened, but hair did not feel very moisturized until I followed with my regular DC then I noticed the difference.

LadyZ

I agree with what everyone say about the molasses... I have been fighting breakage for months and tried everything under the sun... I tried this as my next to last hope an I am in love with it... I used plain molasses and my breakage went down to 85%... I can not believe it... I lost over 2 inches the pat few months fighting this breakage... I sure wish I had not sleep on this one...

Thank you ladies

Majestye

I use molasses when I need a deep treatment to combat breakage or hair boost for a lot of shedding. I haven't used it in a while because I've been doing henna (for coloring grays) and Henna has a lot of protein.

I will say, when I was 16, my hair stylist SEVERELY over-processed my relaxer and my hair was falling out. My mom screamed that he'd better do something so I could take my prom pics. I went to him every 2 days and he did a molasses treatment. It stopped the hair loss and strengthened my hair.

I simply use Grandma's molasses that you find in the grocery store near the syrup. Wash my hair, then put it on straight, soaking the hair. Then wrap it in a plastic cap. You will need a towel around your neck and the cotton head wrap or you can use paper towels around your hair line to catch the drips. ---- Drips a lot! You can sit under a dryer or I just leave it in for about an hour. Then rinse with hot water well, so that it's not sticky. Then follow with a good moisturizing conditioner (otherwise your hair will be hard from the protein and iodine).

Works wonders, inside (drink it) or on your hair.