$175.00 for a relaxer - No way!

Edie

I went to the beauty salon to find out how much it would cost to get a relaxer in my hair (I'm am not doing it). The lady said for me to let my hair down (I had it in a bun). The woman said she would only charge me $175.00. Regular price is $75.00. She said she was giving me a break because with my length of hair (3 inches from waist length) she should charge me $200. I said thanks, but no thanks. My own hair dresser charges me $50.00 just to wash and press my hair, but $175.00 is just too much money to have someone put something in my hair that will in the long run damage my hair.

SweetNic_JA

In the words of Mike Tyson, "that's Ludicrious!". Is your hair natural? Are you just trying to get a touch-up? I suggest you shop around. The only way I'd pay that much for a relaxer is if she could guarantee me an additional 6 inches of instantaneous new growth.

Edie

My hair is natural. But the bad thing is that it is three different types, 2b around the perimeter, then 3a to 3b in the next outer perimeter with straight up 4a in the middle. When I get it press and it reverts it is a scary picture. My husband says I look like I got shocked by electricity and hair just stands out on my head in the middle section.

Edie

I started seriously to grow my hair in October 2002. I was just past shoulder length at that time.

Allandra

That price is crazy (even on virgin hair). How about the stylist that presses your hair, can she do a relaxer?

katie

I don't see why hair length should matter if they are only relaxing the new growth.I guess that extra money comes from extra conditioner they have to use on long hair,but that price is still ridiculous anyway!

14got

the lady is probably freaking out because she may have never 1. relaxed hair that long
2. Relaxed virgin hair that long.
Is it thick? I have never had really long hair, but my hair is very thick and when me and my best friend would go to a hairdresser she would charge me 15 more than my friend (my hair was only sholder length) She said it was because she ahd to spend more time on my hair than most of her clients.

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
Edie said:
I started seriously to grow my hair in October 2002. I was just past shoulder length at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
You've just started growung your hair since October 2002 and you are close to waist length --- that is very encouraging for a transitioner such as myself.

Were you fully natural in October '02 or did you have relaxed ends to deal with?

Also, have you tried getting a Dominican wash and set + blowout? That may help you achieve the straight style that you are seeking.

Chichi

Edie

My hair is natural, not thick. I guess you would call it medium thickness, simply very long. I am not going to get it relaxed. I was just curious as to what someone might charge me. Besides even when my hair was medium length, my former hair dresser would have a fit, because with the 3 different textures, she had to time all three textures differently. Consequently most of the time she only retouched the outer perimeter of my hair one month. Then the next one, then the next one. She said she had to do it that way or my 2b hair would need to be rinsed before the 3 and 4a and might break. She tried it once and my edges started to burn before the coarser grade hair had relaxed. So I decided to go natural in the fall of 2002 and have not had a relaxer in my hair since. I will be presssing my hair from now on. And then only about 4 to 5 times a year.

ChoclatePrincess

A Hundrend and Seventy Five Dollars!!!!!! OH HELL NO! That is outrageous! I would have asked her if I was on Candid Camera or something! I get my hair relaxed, deep conditioned, ends clipped, set, and blown for 55 bucks no matter how long my hair is. Did that chick understand English? Maybe you misunderstood. That's unbelievable!

On a happier note. That is great that you've achieved so much length! Keep up the good work!

Edie

I have been natural for some time now (2-3 I think) but it wasn't until the fall 2002 that I started taking vitamins, other supplements, detoxing and keeping the hair moisturized, etc. You know all the things we do for our hair. My hair really took off at that time because I was put on 12mg of biotin per day for help in controlling my diabetes. After a couple of months my hair started to grow 1.5 to 2 inches some months, but always at least 1 inch. I had to trim off unhealthy ends during the way, but now my hair is in pretty good shape. I am only taking 8mg of biotin now because the large amount was causing me to have very heavy (extremely so) periods. On 8mg I am getting a steady 1 to 1.5 inches, mostly 1 inch. But I can live with that. I also make sure that I have multiple types of shampoos and conditioners (all moisturizing, strengthing, except one that I keep for clarifying). I am of the mind that if our body can adapt to vitamin, so can our hair when it comes to conditioners/shampoos. That's why they will stop performing well. Your hair has simply adapted to them. Just keep moisture, softness and vitamins in mind when it comes to your hair. You can't lose with those 3 ingredients.

aqualung

I would expect to pay at least that much for a virgin relaxer on waist length hair at the premiere black salon in Boston (Olive's) considering that the stylists are the most experienced and best trained in the city. They do rollersets and blowouts exclusively. They're booked weeks in advance, and they overcharge their (primarily rich) patrons.

This isn't a touchup of 6 weeks' new growth that a beauty school student could underprocess without upsetting you too much. It's a big job.

Good idea not to relax. If it aint broke...

jd_bdfly

megonw, I'm not sure that Olive's is as good as is used to be. My younger sister lives in Boston and she got a touchup there not too long ago, and it was just aiiight, but they ARE still expensive. I think they might have gotten some new managers and that's part of the problem.

Edie, do you have pictures? I'd love to see some.

Edie

I don't have access to ascanner and the only way I hook up to a computer is at work. My computer at home is not hooked up yet and I don't have a scanner there either.

G

Edie, do you mind mentioning what brand of Biotin that you take for growth?

GodMadeMePretty

That price sounds about right if they were going to do it in two trips. Beauticians that I know never do a virgin head of hair down to the scalp so as to minimize burning. The only do the length and leave the roots for the next time. So there would have to be two trips - approximately $75-100 for the first time and $50-$75 for the next depending on the salon's retouch price.