2010 Lose Minimal/No Hair While Detangling Challenge

ebonylocs

I just started detangling while in the shower under straight running water w/o conditioner and have noticed I've lost alot less hair than in the past. Usually if I go a week w/o detangling and even using conditioner would have alot of hair in the brush. Not with this method. Id say I'm down to half the amount I was w/ conditioner detangling.

Yes! I used to do this when I was natural with short to mid-length hair.

Detangling under running water with NO conditioner was definitely better than with conditioner.

It's like the conditioner kind of clogged it up too much and made detangling harder. I would detangle under plain running water, and then add conditioner *afterwards* as a leave in.

I can't detangle my relaxed / texlaxed / transitioning hair under water though - too stretchy. I'm sure it works for some.

hair4romheaven

I am 7mnths post and I don't detangle my hair AT ALL. That's right AT ALL. I don't wash my hair loose or comb it conditioner thru. When i do comb a little when 90-95% dry i loose about a dime size amount of hair after 4 weeks of being braided.
I'm loving the transition but miss wearing my hair out. ;-(

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I took down my braids out last weekend after being in braids for 4wks and I was SO HAPPY!
I had very minimal shedding. I went from having a fist full of hair to less then 1/2 of that and I retained my growth. I don't know if I stated this in here, but I switched my reggie to all kitchen ingredients, except for the S-curl, I just started using that and it's a life saver so I will continue to use it. Still DC 2x a wk and doing hot oil treatments.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Ladies how are you coming along?

I tried my entire line of Joico K-Pak and it didn't work on my hair as well as my Silicon Mix proudcts although K-Pak is all the rave. So this weekend I will return to my Silicon Mix products with my usual routine.

Also, now that I'm using a hairstopper in my tub, I've noticed almost twice as much hair loss while detangling. :nono:

How is your hair doing?

Hey Sheryl:wave:
If you don't mind what were some of the differences you noticed between the 2. I've always been curious about the K-pak line and where did you purchase the hairstopper, I can't seem to find it. TIA

lwilliams1922

This is a great thread!

I thought I learned a lot of things on the board but seems like there's still something new each day.

I never heard of garlic for shedding. Can someone share their experiences with using garlic?

I JUST happened to have purchased some organic podwer from the health food store the other day. I'm natural but growing out some heat damage. There are two textures so I have a good amount of shedding. I'm really about to grab the bottle and go to work but then I thought....

Does the smell linger?? I LOVE garlic in my food but I wonder if it's totally washed out? I can brush my teeth after I eat but what would I do if I were in an elevator and started smelling garlic??

guudhair

Hi ladies...I haven't been doing too well with detangling :nono:...still takes forever...and still losing lots of hair...I'm gonna cut back on my herbal rinses to every other week and start cowashing with Lustasilk Cholesterol during the weeks I don't use the rinse to see if that helps at all.

sqzbly1908

Ladies how are you coming along?

I tried my entire line of Joico K-Pak and it didn't work on my hair as well as my Silicon Mix proudcts although K-Pak is all the rave. So this weekend I will return to my Silicon Mix products with my usual routine.

Also, now that I'm using a hairstopper in my tub, I've noticed almost twice as much hair loss while detangling. :nono:

How is your hair doing?

Hey ST - have you tried combining the lines..I have used my K-Pak and followed up with Silicon Mix...K-Pak is okay as long I have a good follow-up...I also followed it up with the Silicon Mix Bambu'

SherylsTresses

Hey Sheryl:wave:
If you don't mind what were some of the differences you noticed between the 2. I've always been curious about the K-pak line and where did you purchase the hairstopper, I can't seem to find it. TIA

:hiya: Firstborn2
My hair was not as moisturized with K-Pak and it didn't seem strong at all after using the reconstructor. As for the hairstopper, I purchased it from Walmart.

I'll just stick with what I know. Thanks for asking. :yep:

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

Hey ST - have you tried combining the lines..I have used my K-Pak and followed up with Silicon Mix...K-Pak is okay as long I have a good follow-up...I also followed it up with the Silicon Mix Bambu'

I haven't tried combining them but might try it out. Thanks! :yep:

SherylsTresses

This is a great thread!

I thought I learned a lot of things on the board but seems like there's still something new each day.

I never heard of garlic for shedding. Can someone share their experiences with using garlic?

I JUST happened to have purchased some organic podwer from the health food store the other day. I'm natural but growing out some heat damage. There are two textures so I have a good amount of shedding. I'm really about to grab the bottle and go to work but then I thought....

Does the smell linger?? I LOVE garlic in my food but I wonder if it's totally washed out? I can brush my teeth after I eat but what would I do if I were in an elevator and started smelling garlic??

Here's a thread about adding garlic powder to your conditioner.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=410406&highlight=

dimechiq

What seamless comb do you use? Do you have a link?

Yes, but for some people, the amount of shedding is a real problem that hinders that achievement of their hair goals. Blocking DHT won't negatively affect the growth process, it just means that it goes on for longer before the hair sheds - you extend your growth cycle so each strand stays on your head for a longer time and gets the chance to grow longer.

For me, my *huge* amount of shedding affects my hair goals in 3 ways:

1) The more hair sheds, means the shorter amount of time each strand stays on my head, means that my hair will never reach certain lengths, no matter how much I reduce breakage.

2) Shed hairs causes tangles like nobody's business, so I have to detangle more often, sometimes twice a day. More manipulation = more breakage.

3) Shed hairs causes tangles like nobody's business, so when I'm detangling, the comb will often get caught --> more breakage, or all kinds of knots and dreads form which I have to rip / cut out.

This I believe is my problem. DHT. If its not that its definite a hormone issue. Because its falling out to much for anything else. Plus other issues all checked out well.

Yes you are right. My hair at one time reached down to my waist. But it was thin because most of the rest that would be at that length fell out. Now it reaches to mbl and by then its thin at the ends so I have to cut. Yet again. *sigh*.

guudhair

I spent over three hours detangling my hair the other night...I lost a lot of hair but I went through my entire head with a wide tooth and a rat tail comb :blush: in sections...I know rat tail combs are taboo here but I had bad matting and small knots that the wide tooth wouldn't/couldn't grab...most of the matting and knots were from previous rinsing/cleaning days so it was only gonna get worse if I didn't comb them out...since I got out all the matting and tangles, I'm hoping it will be much easier next time...I also joined the co-washing challenge so maybe that will help too.

I used Cowboy Majic for the first time...it was quite moisturizing but I can't tell if it helped with detangling...I would like to think so but the jury is still out on that.

I usually wash my hair in the kitchen sink but since it's getting longer, I've started washing it in the shower to counter the tangles...I HATE, HATE, HATE washing my hair in the shower...I can do without oils, herbal rinses, and conditioners running down my back and into other "areas" :perplexed.

Last edited:

lolascurls

I've decided to try an oil rinse recently. I just did one a few minutes ago.
I used EVOO and Coconut oil on my hair and rinsed with HE Hello Hydration /HE LTR (half and half on either side of my head).
Hair is SOFT. But most importantly, I washed in braids (in single braids about 16 of them.
I then applied leave-ins and some more coconut oil (castor oil to edges and ends) then covered with a satin scarf to go to bed.
For work this week (I've had Monday to Wednesday off), I will be bunning it again. I've got my half-wigs and stuff I just like that I can bun, then go to bed for a few days with it in! I moisturize my edges and the sock bunned hair nightly and I go!. No manipulation, no take down in between.
I think I will be making these kinds of braids every time I want to DC or co-wash my hair. Why?
1) Easier to get to my roots (NG)
2) I can soak my hair without worrying about unravelling whilst washing
3) I can airdry in the same braids.

Also, I'm going to keep oil rinsing! Will update on my detangling session on Friday evening, by God's grace. (My steamer is broken after only ONE use! But I'm praying on it and will try to fix it -lol!)

amwcah

I spent over three hours detangling my hair the other night...I lost a lot of hair but I went through my entire head with a wide tooth and a rat tail comb :blush: in sections...I know rat tail combs are taboo here but I had bad matting and small knots that the wide tooth wouldn't/couldn't grab...most of the matting and knots were from previous rinsing/cleaning days so it was only gonna get worse if I didn't comb them out...since I got out all the matting and tangles, I'm hoping it will be much easier next time...I also joined the co-washing challenge so maybe that will help too.

I used Cowboy Majic for the first time...it was quite moisturizing but I can't tell if it helped with detangling...I would like to think so but the jury is still out on that.

I usually wash my hair in the kitchen sink but since it's getting longer, I've started washing it in the shower to counter the tangles...I HATE, HATE, HATE washing my hair in the shower...I can do without oils, herbal rinses, and conditioners running down my back and into other "areas" :perplexed.

First bolded-->I thought my 5 hour session was long, but mine incorporated relaxing and conditioning time as well. The ends of my hair was like dreads. I just patiently pulled each strand out of the matts one by one.

Second bolded-->Lol! I know how you feel.

This is a great thread!

guudhair

took about 35 minutes detangling today and was pretty happy about that...I didn't add anything to help with detangling...just did my regular oil prepoo, herbal rinse, cowash, then detangled...I started back using the sink too because I just can't take that stuff running down me in the shower...I might cowash in the shower on the days I don't prepoo or herbal rinse...I'm still losing a little more hair than I would like while detangling but I think/hope it's just normal shedding...

Last edited:

SVT

Today was not so good. I haven't been taking of my hair so I had more than the usual shedding.

Time to get back on track!

MsPlatinumbsf

I know it may be to late but I will be following this thread I need to Lose Minimal/No Hair While Detangling I am using M-Tex and Bee Mine and my NG is no joke and the shedding too so is double battle.

grow

first of all, Lolascurls, i'm so glad this oil rinsing thing is working out well for you!
i love it too! discovering it was like discovering running water for me!

Guudhair, i'm sad to hear the shower idea hasn't worked out, but i, like Amwcah, understand how the water can yes, run into "those areas". i just try to bend back when rinsing, as if i'm doing a back bend stretching excercise.
i do get some water on my face, but i'd rather that than the alternative.

speaking of which, i haven't detangled with a comb in about 10 days.
it's all part of an experiment i'm doing with my (now 14 weeks) stretch in order to not stress my hair (or that all important line of demarcation!)
so, today i plan to cowash - oil rinse - cowash and let's HOPE the detangling process goes well!

grow

i'm so happy to report that my cowash-oil rinse-cowash went well!

i also detangled and was amazed to see so few hairs in the comb after 10 days of no combing! (i suppose having applied alot of leave in conditioner helped.)

i think that means that this new experiement of combing alot less is really working!

lolascurls

I'm co-washing more often now and stretching main DCing and detangling sessions to two weeks. We will see what it's like detangling on Friday evening :look:
I co-washed with some L'oreal elvive conditioner claim to have ceramide in it! I will see what it's like when detangling time comes.

dancinstallion

any updates?.

I started shedding alot, I detangled for 5 days straight, I was in tears. I had tangled knots all over my head in the middle of each strand. At first I thought it was the garlic that I put in the conditioner. But I thought no that is supposed to stop shedding. Maybe it's because I wore twists for 6 weeks. Idk.. Then I did a touch up and more shedding, I detangled for 3 days. I finally stopped my hair from breaking but now the shedding is too much. I dread cowashing my hair. Should I clarify more often? Everyone keeps saying this is normal because I don't comb my hair often, But minimal to no shedding is normal to me.

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

Ladies,

I've found the ultimate detangling regimen for me. :yay: I lose very little or no hair now. :yay: :yay:

1. Saturate hair in sections with conditioner mixed with lots EVOO
  2. Detangle hair with very wide tooth comb
  3. Plait conditioned hair in 6 loose sections with barrettes on ends; 2 front, 1 top, 3 back area
  4. Shampoo with Proteina de Perla in braids using shower comb to scrub scalp
  5. Deep condition with Silicon Mix conditioner, 20 mins
  6. Remove barrettes from ends to complete final rinse
  7. Gently towel dry
  8. Take one braid at a time, then apply Chi Keratin Mist & Luxxtress leave-in spray and gently comb thru
  9. Airdry with part down middle into a braided ponytail using scarf method
  10. Moisturize edges with conditioner/EVOO mixture at night
  11. Moisturize newgrowth with conditioner and/or Luxxtress leave-in spray and spray with distilled water at night
  12. Massage edges with JBCO nightly
  13. In the morning, take down end of braid and use a barrette, cowash braid, about 80% dry, take down braid, then moistruize and rebraid

Last edited:

lolascurls

I've slacked off on the oil rinsing but I've been steaming my hair either before I wash it (with a DC) or after co-washing.
Also co-washing with at least 2 moisturizing conditioners, one after the other really helps soften my hair a treat!
Finally, I have decided to FINGER DETANGLE only for the next few months. So far, so good!
By using my trusted Organics Leave-in Liquid Hair Mayonnaise, I get the slip I need. I then add my main leave-in aftet detangling. I then seal with oil (or shea butter-coconut oil mix) and style!
Check in at the end of the month to let you know how it's going!
God bless and keep up the good work, ladies!

SherylsTresses

Hello ladies. :hiya: Thanks to everyone who participated! :yep:

Well, it's the end of the year and I'm closing out this thread. So what detangling method has worked for me? Chicoro's detangling method has worked very well for my transitioning hair and so has this method:

1. Saturate hair in sections with conditioner mixed with lots EVOO
  2. Detangle hair with very wide tooth comb
  3. Plait conditioned hair in 6 loose sections with barrettes on ends; 2 front, 1 top, 3 back area
  4. Shampoo with Proteina de Perla in braids using shower comb to scrub scalp
  5. Deep condition with Silicon Mix conditioner, 20 mins
  6. Remove barrettes from ends to complete final rinse
  7. Gently towel dry
  8. Take one braid at a time, then apply Chi Keratin Mist & Luxxtress leave-in spray and gently comb thru
  9. Airdry with part down middle into a braided ponytail using scarf method
  10. Moisturize edges with conditioner/EVOO mixture at night
  11. Moisturize newgrowth with conditioner and/or Luxxtress leave-in spray and spray with distilled water at night
  12. Massage edges with JBCO nightly
  13. In the morning, take down end of braid and use a barrette, cowash braid, about 80% dry, take down braid, then moistruize and rebraid

Again, thank you for your participation and good luck on your 2011 hair journey! :gorgeous: :yep: :thankyou::thatsall: