2010 Lose Minimal/No Hair While Detangling Challenge

Ms_CoCo37

Okay, so the other night when I got home I got started on my hair. I wound up prepooing with Vatika and Bramhi oil, along with a mixture of V05 and Garnier conditioners. I documented everything in a new album. I even took a picture of the hair I shed during detangling. Let me know if this is a sufficient amount for two weeks worth of twists :look::

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=4924

Overall, I think I did a better job with detangling. I'd like to shed less the next time around.:yep:

Okay, I took my twists down this morning and I'm going to mak another attempt to wash and detangle. I'm hopeful that this time around there will be less shedding.

I plan to prepoo with Amla oil and cowash with Hello Hydration condish. I'll let you know how it turns out.:look:

SherylsTresses

Okay, so the other night when I got home I got started on my hair. I wound up prepooing with Vatika and Bramhi oil, along with a mixture of V05 and Garnier conditioners. I documented everything in a new album. I even took a picture of the hair I shed during detangling. Let me know if this is a sufficient amount for two weeks worth of twists :look::

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=4924

Overall, I think I did a better job with detangling. I'd like to shed less the next time around.:yep:

Ms_CoCo37, your hair sooooo B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L...!!! :yep:

grow

i'd like to join this.....if it's not too late!

i just started co washing and it has helped with the detangling ALOT!

i also just started using a porosity control conditioner at the end of everything (but before my tea rinses). i've been using vitale. i've also heard roux is a good brand but haven't tried it yet.

i ONLY use wide toothed combs and seamless ones at that.

but i have a question about the garlic:

the one i use in the kitchen (it's powdered and a bit salty), is that ok to use in my conditioners?

how much garlic are we supposed to put in?

THANKS LADIES!!!

grow

i've just been reading that molasses (bio black type) is really good for detangling hair and giving it nutrients!
gonna try it....

grow

Grow, let me know how that works!

sure will, Ms_CoCo37:yep:

i plan to use it tomorrow with a coconut milk/aloe vera dc, however, i won't be washing it out fully (i'll only rinse it out after a few hours) until i do my ayurvedic powders (amla, shikakai, brahmi) which will be on saturday, so i don't know how much news i'll have until i complete the process.....

hhj, ladies!

grow

.....just a quick update.....Ms_CoCo37,

i rinsed the molasses, aloe vera juice coconut milk mixture out of my hair and my hair felt strong and was completely without tangles, so, so far, so good!

hair4romheaven

I'd love to enter this challenge. I currently wear corn rows under my wig and take them ot every 6 weeks. Co wash and DC weekly while in braids. I just started this so wish me luck. LOL. i plan on detangling next week when i take my braids out do a egg then cholesterol treatment blow dry with tension method and braid back up. QH cholesterol + CO, JBCO melts my NG.
I also just purchased a seamless comb and a hot sock. Can't wait to use it.

Vonnieluvs08

So I did my hair last night and it was a good and bad experience. I'll start with the good.
Good- I did a prepoo, rinse then an oil rinse on wet hair. I applied condish. Slowly combed through 4 sections with a wide tooth come. I lost maybe 20 hairs. Yay!!:grin: DC'd and fingercombed to distribute. Lost a few hairs! Yay! Yay!:grin:

Then the Bad- So I started to twist my hair. I let it dry to 80-90%. Applied EVCO and butter mix to each section. As I started to twist things were going well. Then as I started moving into my crown (I started at the nape) things got bad. :nono: By the time I finished I had lost the same amount of hair if not more then from my initial detangling session.:wallbash::wallbash:

It seems that if I don't lose it during the detangling session then I lose it during the twisting session.

Help!!! Please!!! I'm not bald but this is very frustrating.

Jewell

May I join, though I'm late? I must say that the French Perm Stabilizer Plus lotion is da truth. I've used it for years after a relaxer TU. Never really thought about using it any other time. I've been saying I will get some French Perm for this challenge specifically, or some Porosity Control.

I can also attest to the fact that garlic is great for the hair and scalp. I used to take the pills years ago (more for heart health than hair), but now that I see it'll help in the shedding dept, I'm off to find some! My next wash is this weekend. I'll be back afterwards to post my results as far as this chall. is concerned! All the other helpful techniques listed on OP have worked to reduce hair loss during wet combouts after washing. One lady recommended I add a serum to my hair after leave-ins to reduce tangles on this 6+ month post transitioning head. So far, so good.

SherylsTresses

I've been using the same Porosity/Moisture and Porosity/Protein regimens and flat iron once a month. I'm still losing the same amount of hair but twice as much when I flat iron. :sad: so this weekend I'm going to revisit suave and olive oil.

I'll be 25 weeks post and transitioning to natural and this weekend I will try:

Porosity & Moisture Regimen:

1. Prepoo w/ Alter Ego Garlic conditioner for 30 mins
  2. Shampoo with Silicon Mix
  3. Add Suave and EVOO and detangle in sections--not in shower
  4. DC with Silicon Mix Avanti for one hour........no heat needed :blush:
  5. Towel dry
  6. Final rinse with Roux Porosity Control for one minute
  7. Apply Chi Keratin Mist and Silicon Mix leave-in
  8. Airdry in scarf method with part in middle, wear curly ponytail
  9. Moisturize as needed with Nexxus Humectin and seal w/EVOO and cowash ponytail as needed
I'll check back and let you all know how things turn out.

Chevelure618

I lose little to no hair while detangling. I'll try and post a pic of this after my next wash.

1. The trick is to let the water wash the tangles out for you. VO5 and LTR moisturizing conditioners are fine.

2. Do not rough up the hair at all or change its position when you get out of the shower. Only squeeze it once and then put on the Twistie Turban.

3. Seamless comb from very tip up to root, but don't go crazy trying to detangle the roots. I only worry about matting...not tangles. Those I can do with my fingers.

4. Lacio Lacio has a lot of slip.

5. Mane and Tail detangler has a lot of slip

6. I used to use Wanakee Detangler which has awesome slip.

7. Pull the shed hairs out from the bottom of the hair as I've found that these are the ones that cause tangles.

8. My BEST KEPT SECRET: Hold the comb so loosely in the tips of your fingers and with a limp wrist, that if the comb hits a snag the comb will fly out of your hand.

dlove

I tried this twice and it works. I got about 10 broken hairs yesterday. First of all, i wash in sectioned plaits. After a wash and condish, use Knot Today by Kinky Curly. I slather it on each plaited or loose hair section, smooth it in well and rinse only that section under running water. I slowly and delicately use a Jilbere shower comb ( I finally bought the LHCF rave) under the running water to detangle then plait back up in sections.

Now if I get little to no breakage after I let this air dry before I press my hair...Any Suggestions?

Chevelure618

Here is a picture of the amount of hair I typically lose after a routine shampoo/DC. These are all shed hairs. I lose a little more late in my stretch
shedhair21310.jpg

SherylsTresses

I changed plans and went to the salon today. :nono::nono::nono::nono:

DH said I spend too much time doing my own hair. Man, my stylist was very rough on my hair. She "yanked" my hair from roots to end and my head yanked with it, with a fine tooth comb then a detangling brush.

Hopefully, (if DH don't complain about how much time it takes for me to do my own hair) I'll never go to another salon again. :nono:

I saw some of the hair I lost in her hand as if she was trying to hide it. Golly, it was about 4x the amount I normally lose and that was with the first detangle. :blush:

I guess I just need to speed things up with my own regimen. :perplexed:ohwell:

Ms_CoCo37

Hi Lovelies! Just popping in for a brief minute. I recently invested in one of those Ouidad Double Detangler Combs. All I have to say is:

BEST INVESTMENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!:yep::yep:

It's been a total lifesaver for me. It's cut my detangling down like you wouldn't believe...AND I'm not combing out as much hair either. I'm a very happy camper right now.

dlove

Hi Lovelies! Just popping in for a brief minute. I recently invested in one of those Ouidad Double Detangler Combs. All I have to say is:

BEST INVESTMENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!:yep::yep:

It's been a total lifesaver for me. It's cut my detangling down like you wouldn't believe...AND I'm not combing out as much hair either. I'm a very happy camper right now.

YALL GON MAKE BE LOOSE MY MIND, UP IN HERE, UP IN HERE:lachen:

Thinking about buying one...

SherylsTresses

I lost about 4x the amount over the weekend doing my own hair this time. I think prepooing overnight and then DC for 1-3 hours caused me to overmoisturize. I won't prepoo overnight anymore. :ohwell: So this weekend, I will clarify and do a protein treatment, actually using my entire Joico K-Pak product line.

I sure hope that helps. :look:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Hi Sheryl I want to give you a :bighug:. I saw the thread that you started about the stylist. Sorry you and your hair had to endure that type of trauma.

SherylsTresses

Hi Sheryl I want to give you a :bighug:. I saw the thread that you started about the stylist. Sorry you and your hair had to endure that type of trauma.

Awe thanks Firstborn2. We have to live and learn. But as of now, I don't trust stylists anymore. I understand they have appointments they have to keep so they could never do our hair the way we prefer. I'll just keep seeking advice from you guys instead.

Thanks for the hug! :yep:

SherylsTresses

Ladies how are you coming along?

I tried my entire line of Joico K-Pak and it didn't work on my hair as well as my Silicon Mix proudcts although K-Pak is all the rave. So this weekend I will return to my Silicon Mix products with my usual routine.

Also, now that I'm using a hairstopper in my tub, I've noticed almost twice as much hair loss while detangling. :nono:

How is your hair doing?

baddison

natural for good
My new growth is making my detangling sessions pretty rough right now, too. I pre-poo & detangle only once during my wash/DC regimen. I use amla oil. But since I'm so far into my 13weeks stretch, I notice I've got a whole lot of shedding & breakage. Can't wait 'til this stretch is over.....:wallbash: ...hope I still have some hair left to relax....:nono:

ebonylocs

ok so I washed my hair today only doing my protein treatment. I did not follow it up with a moisturizing DC as my hair felt really soft after using my protein treatment.
What is your protein treatment?

I am definitely going to keep up this blow dry and flat iron thing every 2-3 weeks. Assuming I don't see damage. It's so nice to feel like I have normal hair that can be done in a normal amount of time.
Mwedzi, I'm happy you've found something that works for you. I've always considered you my sister in detangling trials. I don't know anyone whose hair tangles like mine and retangles so quickly after detangling.

the one i use in the kitchen (it's powdered and a bit salty), is that ok to use in my conditioners?!
No! Do not use cooking garlic powder in your shampoo. People are talking about real pure powdered garlic that you would find in a health food store. I don't know how much they are using.

Detangling still going well. I'm still using the same oil. It's my "crack". :yep:
What is your oil?
ETA: Oh, I see it's the GroHealthy Oil
I lose little to no hair while detangling. I'll try and post a pic of this after my next wash.

1. The trick is to let the water wash the tangles out for you. VO5 and LTR moisturizing conditioners are fine.
For some us, water washes the tangles in. I do agree with you about keeping the hair smoothed back though.

As for me:

My hair seems to shed over 100 strands a day. Probably more. And it *is* shed hairs with the bulb and everything, although I do have breakage too. SO no matter what I do and even if I detangle everyday, I can never lose the small amount of hair that some people do.

What works best for me is:

*Detangling NOT under the shower, while soaking wet, or crispy dry.
*Detangling dampish, moisturised hair in sections. If I am starting from dry hair, spritzing a little water from a spray bottle on each section is fine. If I am starting from wet hair, e.g after washing, I apply leave ins, let it dray maybe 50%, then detangle, gently.
*Gently but strongly smoothing the hair (especially the natural hair at my roots) down each section before moving the comb through it.
*Detangling the ends before working down from the roots.

I still lose a ton load of hair, but I think this is the best I am going to get where technique is concerned. The only other way I can get improvement is to either get better products, find a hair relaxer that makes my hair easier to comb, or dramatically decrease my shedding.

Last edited:

ebonylocs

I lose very little hair when detangling. I cannot stress enough the importance of using seamless combs.
What seamless comb do you use? Do you have a link?

And don't we want our hair to shed as it normally would? Isn't that apart of the growth cycle (barring any illnesses)?
Yes, but for some people, the amount of shedding is a real problem that hinders that achievement of their hair goals. Blocking DHT won't negatively affect the growth process, it just means that it goes on for longer before the hair sheds - you extend your growth cycle so each strand stays on your head for a longer time and gets the chance to grow longer.

For me, my *huge* amount of shedding affects my hair goals in 3 ways:

1) The more hair sheds, means the shorter amount of time each strand stays on my head, means that my hair will never reach certain lengths, no matter how much I reduce breakage.

2) Shed hairs causes tangles like nobody's business, so I have to detangle more often, sometimes twice a day. More manipulation = more breakage.

3) Shed hairs causes tangles like nobody's business, so when I'm detangling, the comb will often get caught --> more breakage, or all kinds of knots and dreads form which I have to rip / cut out.

RieB81

I just started detangling while in the shower under straight running water w/o conditioner and have noticed I've lost alot less hair than in the past. Usually if I go a week w/o detangling and even using conditioner would have alot of hair in the brush. Not with this method. Id say I'm down to half the amount I was w/ conditioner detangling.

Sometimes I add coconut oil before, depends my mood.

SherylsTresses

I just started detangling while in the shower under straight running water w/o conditioner and have noticed I've lost alot less hair than in the past. Usually if I go a week w/o detangling and even using conditioner would have alot of hair in the brush. Not with this method. Id say I'm down to half the amount I was w/ conditioner detangling.

Sometimes I add coconut oil before, depends my mood.

Very interesting...!!! :yep: