heresy: EASIER way of DETANGLING 4B HAIR!!! woohooo!!!

tada1

I don't know if someone else has said this before, but I will say it again, detangling can be a JOY!!!! :grin:

as far as i know, conventional wisdom pontificates that hair must be soaking wet or dripping with conditioner in order to detangle. Suffice it so say that i debunked that ish last night.

HEY. DONT KNOCK IT IF YOU AIN'T TRIED IT! I detangled my hair last nigth using this method and i was SMILING all the way to the last section. why? NO SSKS, ROTTEN TANGLES, or MISBEHAVIOR from my 4b natural hair :drunk:

Here's what I did:
1. took down my 6 week old greasy kinky twists :look:
2. As I went along, I used my fingers to lightly detangle and braided my hair in about 12 sections
3. Co washed with the braids in
4. Squished my deep conditioning mixture into the braids
5. DCd while i took care of my business around the house (about 1.5hrs)
6. Rinsed out conditioner still with those braids in

*****then my friend called and I wound up talking for over an hour*******

of course my hair was no longer sopping wet by the time we quit yapping. It was just slightly damp but I proceeded to detangle anyway and it was a dream come true!

I applied TJ's midsummer night's cream mixed with some coconut oil to each section, ran my seamless comb through and then my Denman D3 and I had no issues whatsoever with major tangling, shrinking, and breakage.

try it y'all. sopping wet with conditioner/water = more shrinkage while you detangle = more problems.

damp well conditioned hair = slightly stretched while you detangle = amazing smooth hair sans tears

try it try it try it :poke:

Geminigirl

I agree. I have started washing in sections and I only use oil to detangle. It works so much better then just condtioner. I then let my hair airdry plaited and it works everytime!

tada1

I agree. I have started washing in sections and I only use oil to detangle. It works so much better then just condtioner. I then let my hair airdry plaited and it works everytime!

i'm so happy that i've finally found something that works! :drunk:

do you let your hair airdry a little like i did or do you add oil to wet hair?

Geminigirl

wet/damp hair. I do my washing in the shower and my hair is in four sections I then finger part and add oil to each tiny section and de tangle and braid. Conditioners alone just don't give ME enough slip.

scarcity21

tada1...how long is ur hair...I dunno why i thought u were natural 3c...i might have gotten u mixed up with taradyan or someone elese

IrrationalThoughts

yeah, I detangled with condish over oils on dank hair. I apply the oils and condish as a prepoo onto dry hair and put on a cap...my head sweats like the dickens and makes it just barely dank. I detangle then wash.

malibu4590

I'm not 4b but close and I always detangle freshly washed and DC'd, towel dried, damp hair with no additional product. I also wash and DC in braids so that cuts down on the tangles in and of itself. I remove one braid at a time, detangle it, add my leave-in, then braid it back up. I use that method until I'm finished my entire head. I've also been transitioning for 2+ years and this way is the easiest way to wash with no issues.

peachfuzzz

I'm not 4b but close and I always detangle freshly washed and DC'd, towel dried, damp hair with no additional product. I also wash and DC in braids so that cuts down on the tangles in and of itself. I remove one braid at a time, detangle it, add my leave-in, then braid it back up. I use that method until I'm finished my entire head. I've also been transitioning for 2+ years and this way is the easiest way to wash with no issues.

I just wanted to say great progress Malibu!! Your hair looks wonderful.

Thanks OP! I now have something new to try!

tada1

tada1...how long is ur hair...I dunno why i thought u were natural 3c...i might have gotten u mixed up with taradyan or someone elese

3c? nahhh :lachen: that's definitely not me. i have a patch of 4a at my nape and that's it. my hair is about 8 inches all over my BC was Jan 09

I never thought to use TJ's body lotion on my hair...hmmmm.....*eyes bottle*

try it :poke: it feels really good and the ingredients are yummy :lick:

Minty

I couldn't get past the detangle with fingers and braid part......I suppose it was easy since you'd already had your hair in a stretched state. This makes perfect sense. I always had to use *NTG* to detangle enough to finger comb.

scarcity21

3c? nahhh :lachen: that's definitely not me. i have a patch of 4a at my nape and that's it. my hair is about 8 inches all over my BC was Jan 09

We might be hair cousins although I cut my hair in Jan...I have that 4a patch at the nape too....do u have a fotki?

tada1

I couldn't get past the detangle with fingers and braid part......I suppose it was easy since you'd already had your hair in a stretched state. This makes perfect sense. I always had to use *NTG* to detangle enough to finger comb.

but i thought all 4b naturals keep their hair in stretched states all the time? how do you normally wear your hair? and what's NTG? sorry i have so many questions :lachen:

We might be hair cousins although I cut my hair in Jan...I have that 4a patch at the nape too....do u have a fotki?

woohooo!!! I'm yet to find someone that my hair is "related" to :grin: i don't have pictures up on my fotki yet, but I just got my first professional flat iron today and I am itching to post pics for comparison towards the end of this week. :drunk:

charmtreese

Yeah I can not detangle my hair while dripping wet. I only detangle after I have applied leave-ins...this renders much better result for me!

goodmorningruby

Running water (and EVOO) helps make detangling almost effortless for me so I will continue this method.

I'm glad you found something that works. Thanks for sharing. :yep:

scarcity21

but i thought all 4b naturals keep their hair in stretched states all the time? how do you normally wear your hair? and what's NTG? sorry i have so many questions :lachen:

woohooo!!! I'm yet to find someone that my hair is "related" to :grin: i don't have pictures up on my fotki yet, but I just got my first professional flat iron today and I am itching to post pics for comparison towards the end of this week. :drunk:

check out my fotki an let me know...

bbdgirl

I have to agree I started doing this recently after I got this tip from Traycee's youtube vid and I tried it and I found that I get a lot less hair in the comb and I only comb my hair when I wash once a week. I wash and cond, give my hair a shot of an ice cold water rince at the end, finger comb, wrap in towel to sop up excess water, put in my leave in conditioner and some coconut oil and then proceed to detangle. Alot less resistance and breakage. It really works and it is sooooo much faster!

tada1

I have to agree I started doing this recently after I got this tip from Traycee's youtube vid and I tried it and I found that I get a lot less hair in the comb and I only comb my hair when I wash once a week. I wash and cond, give my hair a shot of an ice cold water rince at the end, finger comb, wrap in towel to sop up excess water, put in my leave in conditioner and some coconut oil and then proceed to detangle. Alot less resistance and breakage. It really works and it is sooooo much faster!

just wanted to say that your avatar is lovely!