3 Month Ayurveda Challenge Results!

MissMusic

Ladies, please post your results here. Also, if you would be so kind, please answer these questions along with any other words of encouragment for those new to Ayurveda:

How did Ayurveda effect the texture and feel of your hair?
Was using Ayurveda more work than using non-Ayurvedic products?
How did you include Ayurvedic products in your regimen these last three months?
What is your favorite Ayurvedic product (just one!)?

sheba1

I'm just moving my results from the original thread so they're all in one place. :)

121408.jpg

Stretched fro. Took these 12/14/08.

022709.jpg

Flat twist out, taken this morning. I think I see some growth.

flat iron shine.jpg

shine2.jpg

1back.jpg

Flat iron pics taken a couple days ago. First flat iron length check. Trimmed .5 to 1 inch.

I've definitely never had shine like this before.

I believe ayurveda has helped my hair to get thicker and more manageable. The shine is outrageous and my hair is just so healthy. I see no reason to stop, ever.

sheba1

If I could make a request. Ladies when you reveal, please answer these questions:

How did you include Ayurvedic products in your regimen these last three months?

Gladly! Ayurveda caused my hair to become fuller but more manageable. The first time I did a prepoo with Amla oil and detangled before washing I was sold. I knew immediately that if it didn't do anything more than help with detangling I would do it forever. Since then, my hair is also feeling silkier to the touch. I just :heart: touching my hair, now, so I keep it pinned up or braided up. I use my wash days as my opportunities to have my fill of hair rubbing! :spinning:

I don't feel that Ayurveda is any more difficult than anything else. The great thing is you can add and subtract things until you find the right blend for you. I started out doing the rinses. I used to prepoo with Amla oil, rinse with the tea, wash with Dr. Bronner's shikakai soap, and add a mixture of herbs to my DC (sometimes). Once a week I make a moisture mix out of a blend of ayurvedic herbs (tea) and add glycerine, conditioner and silk amino acids. This mix is also my leave-in and I keep it in the fridge. When in braids I just drenched my hair with this mix every other day or so and sealed with a mixture of vatika and castor oil. After a while I nixed the tea rinsing since I was using the tea moisturizing leave in. I kept everything else. I did a few hennas when my hair was not braided. And that's pretty much it.

My tea mix started out as shikakai and brhingaraj. Those were the first herbs I could get my hands on. But now I use a mix of brhingaraj, amla, henna and brahmi. Just a teaspoon each is enough for the week. At this rate, the stuff will last forever!

I mostly where wigs right now. I keep my hair in medium sized individuals underneath and wash and condition them as if my hair was loose. I like this because I have less manipulation and I can remove shed hairs with my denman for each braid during the take down. I take them down once a month and then rebraid.

Does this sound like a lot? I don't know, it's not to me, but my bf says I'm nuts. lol. But I think I spend more time on this site perusing ideas than actually doing anything with my hair. And anyways, I like it so I'm gonna keep doin it! :D

flowinlocks

The first pic. is from 12/1/08, the second pic is from 2/23/09

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 145

sheba1

Oh, Flowinlocks!

Grow on, gurl! :yep:

Just beautiful! So what have you been doing to your gorgeous hair these past three months?

flowinlocks

How did Ayurveda effect the texture and feel of your hair? It feels MUCH stronger, silkier & overall healthier
Was using Ayurveda more work than using non-Ayurvedic products? Slightly, but it was worth the extra effort, having the powders premixed help speed things up.:yep:
How did you include Ayurvedic products in your regimen these last three months? Mixing the powders in cowashes & DCs, tea rinses whenever I felt like it, usually about 3 to 4 times a month. Henna/Indigo treatments, oiling nightly with various oils
What is your favorite Ayurvedic product (just one!) Vatika oil :grin:

MissMusic

Thanks for reposting in here sheba1. Your healthy definitely seems to have grown! I love the shine and swang! Great Progress

Flowinlocks, your hair looks fabulous. Your hair seems to be just as thick as when you started, shiny, and just plain healthy! Great Progress!

Dee Raven

So here are my results. The first pic is from 12/11/08 and the second is from today. I think I probably got about 1.5 ins growth, which is my usual. I'm pretty psyched though because, in my fingers I could feel some of my hair actually grazing MBL, so in a month or two, it should be official.:yay: (In re: to pics, sorry for rolls and backround, usually I would cut that out, but my photosmart program is taking forever to "catalog" all the photos.)

How did Ayurveda effect the texture and feel of your hair? The aritha powder washes did make my hair feel pretty soft initially. Also, I used to get an itchy scalp, and that went away. But other than that I didn't notice any real difference, but unfortunately I'm not the most observant person.

Was using Ayurveda more work than using non-Ayurvedic products? Yes, cause you have to prep stuff, it's not pre-made. But that is the bright side as well, there are no preservatives or colorings or anything unnatural. There was also an issue with smell, because the oils have very strong scents, and even over night, the smells wouldn't entirely dissipate. I didn't mind for myself, but for other people it did make me a little nervous. Don't know if you guys have found some way around that.

How did you include Ayurvedic products in your regimen these last three months? I washed once a week with a mix of shikakai and aritha powders and lemon. Then I would twist my hair with vatika oil, which is the best. Then, I tried to oil my scalp and hair 3x wk with amla/brahmi, jasmine and neem oil, rotating between the 3.

In the end, Ayurveda is definitely a keeper, despite the cons. And I would like to introduce tea rinses and more frequent oilings into my regimen in the next challenge.

Attachments

• beginning pic 12.11.08.jpg
    beginning pic 12.11.08.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 173

sheba1

Wow, DeeRaven, just beautiful! You inspire me to try to reach your measure of success in the next year. Lovely :yep:

flowinlocks

So here are my results. The first pic is from 12/11/08 and the second is from today. I think I probably got about 1.5 ins growth, which is my usual. I'm pretty psyched though because, in my fingers I could feel some of my hair actually grazing MBL, so in a month or two, it should be official.:yay: (In re: to pics, sorry for rolls and backround, usually I would cut that out, but my photosmart program is taking forever to "catalog" all the photos.)

How did Ayurveda effect the texture and feel of your hair? The aritha powder washes did make my hair feel pretty soft initially. Also, I used to get an itchy scalp, and that went away. But other than that I didn't notice any real difference, but unfortunately I'm not the most observant person.
Was using Ayurveda more work than using non-Ayurvedic products? Yes, cause you have to prep stuff, it's not pre-made. But that is the bright side as well, there are no preservatives or colorings or anything unnatural. There was also an issue with smell, because the oils have very strong scents, and even over night, the smells wouldn't entirely dissipate. I didn't mind for myself, but for other people it did make me a little nervous. Don't know if you guys have found some way around that.

How did you include Ayurvedic products in your regimen these last three months? I washed once a week with a mix of shikakai and aritha powders and lemon. Then I would twist my hair with vatika oil, which is the best. Then, I tried to oil my scalp and hair 3x wk with amla/brahmi, jasmine and neem oil, rotating between the 3.

In the end, Ayurveda is definitely a keeper, despite the cons. And I would like to introduce tea rinses and more frequent oilings into my regimen in the next challenge.

Wow, I can def. see your results!! Do you plan on incorporating anymore powders in your reggie?

MissMusic

So, I retained at least an inch and a half. My start pic is here (my hair is uncombed in both pics):
December 1 2008

March 1 2009
My current wet shot:

Looks exactly the same, I had an inch and a half cut off in January and my hair looks exactly the same length as it did in December. The front of my hair also seems to have caught up with the back, giving it a much fuller look all around.

A pic of my hair in January after the cut (curled and wraped):

Today, same style, curled and wrapped:

Its the same, but it made my new growth soo much more manageable somehow.
Yep, but it is well worth the trouble.
How did you include Ayurvedic products in your regimen these last three months? I replaced Shampoo with an Ayurvedic tea and I pre-poo with Vatika or Amla oil and seal with Coconut oil.
What is your favorite Ayurvedic product (just one!)? I would say the Ayurvedic Tea I concocted, it contains Brahmi, Amla, Henna, Shikakai, and Aritha powders.

*There are more pics and a full explanation of the tea on my blog.

Last edited:

Faith

^^So without the cut you would have gotten 3" of hair in 3 months? Well done. Your hair looks beautiful.

For your questions..is it possible to also add how many inches were achieved within the 3 months? Was there a noticeable increase in growth or just the usual?

flowinlocks

So, I retained at least an inch and a half. My start pic is here (my hair is uncombed in both pics):
December 1 2008

March 1 2009
My current wet shot:

Looks exactly the same, I had an inch and a half cut off in January and my hair looks exactly the same length as it did in December. The front of my hair also seems to have caught up with the back, giving it a much fuller look all around.

A pic of my hair in January after the cut (curled and wraped):

Today, same style, curled and wrapped:

Its the same, but it made my new growth soo much more manageable somehow.
Yep, but it is well worth the trouble.
How did you include Ayurvedic products in your regimen these last three months? I replaced Shampoo with an Ayurvedic tea and I pre-poo with Vatika or Amla oil and seal with Coconut oil.
What is your favorite Ayurvedic product (just one!)? I would say the Ayurvedic Tea I concocted, it contains Brahmi, Amla, Henna, Shikakai, and Aritha powders.

Your hair is so pretty!!! Thick & Full. How often do you do your tea rinse??

MissMusic

Faith: I knew that I explained it wrong! No its only an inch and a half in all. I didn't get anything cut today, just in December. Sorry I explained it so weirdly.

flowinlocks: Once a week

FeelinIt

I'm actually starting up my ayuverdic washes again starting this Wednesday. This is very encouraging. Thanks for this thread!

bee

You ladies have some amazing progress! I've been asking a question about ayurveda oils, but it hasn't been directly answered yet. Hopefully, I'll get an answer here. I have Dabur Amla and Vatika oils. Can the same growth be achieved using these oils as a pre-poo? I don't have access to the powders locally and am trying to forego buying them on-line. The two oils I do have, were purchased a while ago. They stank to me, so I just stashed them.

I decided to revisit ayurvedic methods, after a physical reaction to Megatek. I oiled my scalp with Vatika oil, sealed my hair with coconut oil and sat under a heat cap for about 30 minutes. My hair was so bouncy, that I decided to perform the same method on my daughters' hair and got the same result. I would like to see the three of us with waist length hair and ayurveda seems to be the way to go. Are these oils sufficient enough for the results I want?