3 Strand Twist-Out Disaster *pics*

KurlyNinja

So... I'm transitioning (11 weeks post) I've been practicing on different twist-out/braid-out/bantu knot-out techniques so when I do finally do the BC i'll be perfected at it. I just heard about the 3 strand twist a few days ago and decided I'd try it since I was headed out for a friends bday and was going to do a twist out anyway.

What I did:

Poo'd with Skala Shea Butter
DC with Skala Fruit Cocktail
Sealed with EVOO

My hair doesn't like much product in it AT ALL. I just don't understand where I went wrong with this... any help at all? TIA

1st Pic - 3 Strand Twist
2nd Pic - Another Angle
3rd Pic- Twist Out (Back)
4th Pic - I didn't like it, but I wore it out anyway because it took me 2 hrs to do it and I just decided to spice it up with a headband hoping it distracted people from my crappy hair.

Attachments

• DSCN0456.jpg
    DSCN0456.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0459.jpg
    DSCN0459.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0465.JPG
    DSCN0465.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN0472.JPG
    DSCN0472.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 163

Solitude

Well, it's probably because your hair is mostly relaxed. You may need more texture to make the twists hold and have more definition when you untwist. Give it another try when you're further along in your transition and do braid-outs and bantu knots in the meantime. I actually think it doesn't look that bad. Your color is pretty.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I think it turned out fine. Twist outs, braidouts, etc look totally different on relaxed hair than they do on natural hair. I've also found that what would work on my twist outs when relaxed, did not really work when natural. Perhaps you could try braid outs or two strand twist outs to see if you like a variation.

Again, I think it turned out cute.

chasturner84

I don't have any suggestions, because I don't know what a 3 strand twist out is or looks like but keep practicing! On another note, your new growth/texture is gorgeous! :grin: I would have BC'd like yesterday...:lachen:

DaDragonPrincess

It turned out good to me, I'm relaxed and I do braidouts,twistouts,bantu knots alot, I have even did a briadout mohawk style, next time try a mohawk with your twist out, you would love that style too, pin all your hair to the middle in a form of a mohawk. The thing about braidouts and twistouts etc some come out bad some come out great, just pratice with it,if you think it wasn't your best sweetie. Goodluck on your transitioning!!!

Shea Butter is a great moisturizer

Nonie

I tried the 3-strand twist after Pokahontas posted a video of it, and....

Not only is it a pain to do, it's a recipe for tangles. It doesn't create, to me, anything prettier than a two-strand twist. In fact, in my case it was uber ugly.

So when I see talk of 3-strand twists, I feel like popping corn coz I expect a bit of drama, action, cussing, and maybe a few tears. Why anyone would take something that is just perfect and easy and make it more complicated to do and undo, makes no sense to me. :nono:

ETA: I remember why folks like them: they are supposed to last longer than 2-strand twists. I don't think the twist-out looks any different from 2-strand, so if I were doing the style to undo, then I'd stick to 2-strand. If doing the style to keep it in for long and if 2-strand twists unravel easily, then I can see why someone might do 3-strand: in order to keep them in for long. THEN I can understand the time and effort.

Last edited:

ZkittyKurls

what if you tried a styling gel or a holding creme to help get them more defined?? i have been transitioning for awhile and i understand completely how frustrating relaxed ends can get. i tried to twist my hair and i looked a HAM. but the rollersets, braidouts did well for me. my relaxed ends are pathetic and cant hold twists on its own like my natural hair for nothin.

yamilee21

I do not see a "disaster" at all. It does seem that the three-strands twists are more trouble than they are worth for the purposes of doing a twistout, but your twist-out looks nice.