4 techniques that grew my hair to BSL!!!!!!

nnmiles

Your hair is wonderful. I must say that elastic mango butter has been my staple for the past couple of days. For some reason its making my hair so soft. Unlike how my hair use to respond to it. Either way I'm glad. Keep on growing girl!

Butterfly08

I do all that you do except the no trimming part. :look: I just like the feel of freshly trimmed ends. My HD knows I am trying to grow out so she just trims 1/4 inch, 4 times a year. So I'm losing about an inch a year but I have no raggedy or uneven ends.

Also I stretch at least 12 weeks, on up to 15.

I cowash daily, but not that it's getting cold, 3 - 4 times a week. This has my hair like :lick:. The moisture is ridiculous. Then I usually just wet bun. Maybe every 3 weeks I roller set but I usually just pin it up to protect the ends.

I do not personally use direct heat, only when I go in for a relaxer or color touch up (7 - 8 times a year). That may change if I buy a flat iron for Christmas. :look:

I am currently about 1/2 inch from BSL. I hope I can make it by Dec 31, 2008!! :grin:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Great info OP! Your hair is gorgeous. Ur tips will help me to reach APL by June '09..I can smell it :lachen:

mzcris

First I want to say your hair is so beautiful and healthy! Thx for sharing these awesome tips :) My goal is BSL and by you sharing these tips it has helped me so much.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

how much elastic mango butter do u put on ur ends when i triedit made my hair stiff maybe i used to much do use it on wet or dry hair

I used Redken Extreme Anti-Snap (Generic Leave-in Treatment substit. from Sally's) to detangle and provide strength during combing then applied a smidgeon of Elasta QP mango Butter Moisturizer on the ends, wrapped bun in stocking and by the morning, my hair was buttery soft with very little breakage. Actually, I noticed the conditioning effect immediately. It increased the moisturizing efficacy of the Anti-Snap. One of the best 5 dollars I ever spent!

vestaluv1

I can definately say that the following helped me get from SL to APL (I have not reached my goal length of BSL yet :nono:):

Hiding my hair (under wigs)
Moisturising/sealing daily
Less manipulation and combing
Stretching my relaxers for months and months (over 9 to be exact)
Baggying
Ayurveda

Its not even like I used to trim that much I have had only one trim (before the one I had last month) in 5 years.
I just was not retaining the length.
This was because my hair was overprocessed, dry, brittle and I would still not moisturise it, but brush and comb the h3ll outta it with only gel as a hairdress :perplexed... What was i thinking? :nono: I obviously didn't care about my hair AT ALL!
Oh well, I know better now :look:.

Lioness

My hair was has been at BSL for some time, then I cut two inches off in September. I'm an inch from BSL now...
4 Techniques that worked for me:

Protective styling (weave in my case)

Growth Aid- BT/ MTG / scalp massages

Vitamins- Biotin, Multi, Zinc, Sea kelp, others I can't think of right now

Moisture- spraying braids with my home made braid spray

Last edited:

Summer 74

I can definately say that the following helped me get from SL to APL (I have not reached my goal length of BSL yet :nono:):

Hiding my hair (under wigs)
Moisturising/sealing daily
Less manipulation and combing
Stretching my relaxers for months and months (over 9 to be exact)
Baggying
Ayurveda

Its not even like I used to trim that much I have had only one trim (before the one I had last month) in 5 years.
I just was not retaining the length.
This was because my hair was overprocessed, dry, brittle and I would still not moisturise it, but brush and comb the h3ll outta it with only gel as a hairdress :perplexed... What was i thinking? :nono: I obviously didn't care about my hair AT ALL!
Oh well, I know better now :look:.

What do you moisturize with???

MzOptimistic

Is there anyone who NEVER or RARELY protective styles? I have been getting nice growth by:

-- No trims only S&D
-- Relaxing every 10 weeks (really texlax)
-- Deep CO at least once a week - usually twice
-- Alternating protein & moisture conditioning weekly
-- Rollersetting twice a week
-- Moisturizing daily

I haven't used my flatiron since August and been strictly rollersetting. I don't have patience for protective styles.... I getting good growth, so I'm sticking with this, but just wonder if EVERYONE is protective styling.

There's ladies on here who wear their hair down all the time and still get good growth. I can't remember their names though:perplexed There's even a few who get good growth AND uses heat:yep: I just choose to protective style because using heat is what jacked my hair up in the first place:blush:*no pun intended*

taj

Washing on a weekly basis
Deep conditioners
Stretching
Moisturizing
Sealing ends
Braids

pri

Great post..thank you! Very useful for someone like me who is trying to get to that length and beyond :)

CHECKMATE!

thanks ladies for all of your responses:yep:...I see that most of us agree that protective styling and stretching is the truth!:grin:...seems like the hair growth journey takes consitency of a simple regimen...I am sooooooo working on this...my regimen is simple but my consitency sucks at times :look:

I_shure_do_wish

- Washing and deep conditioning weekly
- No trimming
- Stretching relaxers to 8-14 weeks
- MOISTURIZING CORRECTLY!
- protective styling - usually for me in single braids,

I think that when I simplified my regimen was when I started seeing results.

laCriolla

*moisturizing,using Elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends and sealing with Coconut oil

HIGH FIVE! :grin: this worked for me, too!:grin:

also faithfully sleeping with a silk scarf (I hate it but it helped)
protein treatments every 6 weeks

keeping hair out of the seatbelt
keeping hair out from under purse straps
being careful putting on my coat

CHECKMATE!

HIGH FIVE! :grin: this worked for me, too!:grin:

also faithfully sleeping with a silk scarf (I hate it but it helped)
protein treatments every 6 weeks

keeping hair out of the seatbelt
keeping hair out from under purse straps
being careful putting on my coat

I really need to work on this:yep:

ladylina

Switch from a regular to a mild relaxer
rollerseting
con washing every three days in the summer
washing once a week in the winter.

Chevelure618

My problem is I'm not long enough yet to wear in a loose bun, so I have to wear a tighter more slicked down bun & add hair. I am on a constant quest for a product that will moisturize, slick down edges, and tame the beast called NG:lachen: any suggestions will be welcomed.I pretty much follow your same reggie except I'm currently using MT/OCT. By the way great progress, your hair is beautiful. LOVE THE V!!!!

Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme Moisturizer moisturizes, slicks down edges and tames my NG...it's great on my hair....have you tried it?

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
My problem is I'm not long enough yet to wear in a loose bun, so I have to wear a tighter more slicked down bun & add hair. I am on a constant quest for a product that will moisturize, slick down edges, and tame the beast called NG:lachen: any suggestions will be welcomed.I pretty much follow your same reggie except I'm currently using MT/OCT. By the way great progress, your hair is beautiful. LOVE THE V!!!!

Castor oil :yep: