4a/b's

monie20032007

Is that a texture that does not really have defined curls? I know whenever I see people who say they have 3c texture have clearly defined curls, but people who say they have 4a/b, their hair just looks like an afro w/ tiny curls, is that right? is there anyway people w/ 4a/b can have clearly defined curls that are like 3c's but smaller?

JustKiya

My hair - it looks like tiny pensprings. You know, the kind that are in retractable pins? And I definitely consider myself a 4a.

Because there are so many of them, and they are SO tiny, it's almost impossible to get them to 'clump' together smoothly, and just about as hard to get a clear picture of them...but they are definitely there.

ladylibra

i hear these hairtypes described so many different ways... 3c is tightly curled, clumps are sidewalk chalk size to pencil size... 4a is clumps that are from pencil size to penspring size... and 4b is hair that may or may not be curly but it doesn't clump, or has no pattern at all...

quite frankly i gave up on all that confusing crap a long time ago... :spinning: LOL

nappity

Is that a texture that does not really have defined curls? I know whenever I see people who say they have 3c texture have clearly defined curls, but people who say they have 4a/b, their hair just looks like an afro w/ tiny curls, is that right? is there anyway people w/ 4a/b can have clearly defined curls that are like 3c's but smaller?

All 4a has defined curls that pop up-. 4b has a zig zag pattern- 4 c doesn't define without being physically manipulated.
My Fotki has a texture picture- they can all mutually co-exist. When you type your hair- it's what the majority of your strands do.

Kookie

I think my hair is 4a as well........
And depending on they styling product I use....I can also get well defined curls. No, it's not the definition of a 3C, B, A head of hair....because my coils are definitely smaller (but they are there, nonetheless).

sareca

My hair - it looks like tiny pensprings. You know, the kind that are in retractable pins? And I definitely consider myself a 4a.

Because there are so many of them, and they are SO tiny, it's almost impossible to get them to 'clump' together smoothly, and just about as hard to get a clear picture of them...but they are definitely there.

What a great description. :yep: Mine will clump together as long as I don't comb my hair every day.

PinkSkates

My hair is definitely 4A according to the standard typing system. If I apply gel and curl pudding products while wet and lightly blow dry my hair, my tiny corkscrew curls will stay defined and somewhat elongated. But if I let my hair air dry with no product, then my hair will just shrink into an undefined afro. See picture below.

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
All 4a has defined curls that pop up-. 4b has a zig zag pattern- 4 c doesn't define without being physically manipulated.
My Fotki has a texture picture- they can all mutually co-exist. When you type your hair- it's what the majority of your strands do.

I never heard of 4c before. Is this a new hair type?

anon123

Is that how it goes? I used to think I had this hair typing thing down, but the more I see people use it, the more it seems not everyone is using it the same way. So then it definitely becomes less helpful. I never understood the LOIS system because I've never seen any pictures to go with any of the letters, and I need that as a base of reference. My individual strands have zigzags and circles. But they don't come together to clump. A new term recently made up is "cnapp" and I am one of those. I sometimes see people doing a direct equation of cnapp to 4b, but lots of cnapps have primarily circles or curls, not zigzags, and they just don't clump. Again, because for neither the Andre or the LOIS system have I seen a picture of an individual strand next to the type so they can say "this is what I mean by a zigzag" or "this is what I mean by an L", it's hard to tell. Sometimes when I've seen people's individual strands, I'll see zigzags, but they'll see coils, it's all so subjective.

Jetblackhair

This is exactly how my 4a hair looks.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I have "4a" hair. It's springy with clearly defined coils and curls. It turns into an afro without much effort and can be straightened with a little more effort. The wind (forget water) turns it right back to coils and kinks. :grin:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member

I am so confused about this texture thing. Okay, I believe I am a 4A, however, my hair is the smaller penspring size on the hairline and nape like you described, but in the middle, I get deeper, wider waves. When I had lot of NG, took a shed hair and looked down onto the tip of it and it was definately a coil, but about the size of a crayon maybe, you know, like the 64 box. Is that not also a 4A?

JustKiya

I am so confused about this texture thing. Okay, I believe I am a 4A, however, my hair is the smaller penspring size on the hairline and nape like you described, but in the middle, I get deeper, wider waves. When I had lot of NG, took a shed hair and looked down onto the tip of it and it was definately a coil, but about the size of a crayon maybe, you know, like the 64 box. Is that not also a 4A?

*nod* 4a is m y MAJORITY hair type. I have this patch on the left side of my head that is 4a (with more shrinkage!!!) so that it shrinks down to about nothing, even when the REST of my 4a hair is doing it's version of 'hanging' - but it's got too many coils Along my back hairline I have - I think it might be 3a? it's VERY fine, and only curls when it's wet - when it's dry, it's wavy/straightish.

Also, if my hair is manipulated - at all - the curls stretch/get wider/go wavy - so even my shed hairs aren't usually accurate representations of my texture...

Cheleigh

((Shrugs)). I'm a type 4, and my hair defines.