* 4B Natural, please HELP!! *

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I'm going to just launch into it.

I BC'd in January 05 and have used a combination of braids and twists to help my hair grow.

The more it grew, the harder it got to deal with. Now, my hair is at a nice length (Only in my opinion of course!) But it's seriously out of control.

I leave it in twists for ages, because I just dread having to do the whole thing all over again, it's really getting me down. Can any 4b naturals with extremely thick hair tell me what kind of styles they do and how they cope with the maintenance of their hair?
Washing and detangling is no problem, it's the styling that really gets on my nerves. Feeling desperate, I partially blow dried my hair, thinking it would be easier to deal with, well, it wasn't.

I just feel defeated.. Things were easier when my hair was 3 inches long.

cheetarah1980

I'm gonna be honest, unless you wear your hair out on a regular basis styling it is gonna take a while. The longer your hair gets the longer each braid and twist will take to do. It takes me forever to style my hair, too. But once it's done, the style lasts for weeks. Can you do a wash-n-go? Or maybe a puff of some kind. Those styles take way less time. But if you plan on braiding/twisting/knotting/coiling your hair, it's gonna be some work. Sorry I couldn't tell you something better. JMHO.

P.S. I just went to your album. Your comments were off so I couldn't say anything there. Your hair is beautiful and the twists are mind blowing. So many women pay to get twist extensions that look like yours do naturally. WOW!!

Last edited:

mslionheart

cheetarah1980 said:
It takes me forever to style my hair, too. But once it's done, the style lasts for weeks.

Yup :) You might put in a lot of hours to do the style, but it also means that you'll be able to get up and go everyday for weeks (and still look good).

I also agree that the more hair you have, the longer it will take to do certain styles. I will say though, that there are long-haired type 4s who have twisting down to a science so that they are done in just a couple of hours. I believe Babyblue has managed to do this and her hair is terrific. I think the more you work with styling your hair at this length, the easier it will become just because you will grow more used to it.

Char, are you bored with twists and looking for something different or is it just the time and effort you put in that is bugging you right now? I have to tell you that your hair is gorgeous! That last set of twists that you call fuzzy look fabulous to me.

CarefreeinChicago

your hair looks great ...the only style i know how to do is a puff or a twist out i have not learned to master any style either

babyblue

Unfortunately longer hair=longer twisting time, which is why when I do decide to wear twists nowadays I try not to make them so small unless it's a special occasion and i'm trying to look cute lol.

I hate spending lots of time on my hair. Right now I'm on a protective style challenge so i'm forcing myself to keep my hair twisted up for the winter, (otherwise i'd be wearing a wash and go puff right now). I currently have my hair in 16 chunky twists pulled back into a bun. I divided my hair into 4 quarters and put 4 twists in each quarter for a total of 16. I admit it's not the flyest, most sexiest style out there, but it's pretty simple and doesn't take long to do. besides it's really cold up here and a i wear a lots of hats this time of year so it's no biggie. If i need to dress up my look i'll undo the twists and pick out with my fingers for a nice twist out.

This being said if managability and time is a factor for you you may wan't to avoid twisting your hair period. do other styles like puffs, updo's, buns and wash and go's which take little time to do. if the above styles are not your thing, you can do chunky twist outs by putting in a total of 10-16 twists with a holding product, let set overnight and undo in the morning when dry for a twist out. It should last a 1-3 days. if it starts to get fuzzy looking you can add more product and retwist dry at night. you can dress it up with nice headbands and accesories or just let it flow freely.

Throw away the comb and start using your fingers more. Trying to make perfect parts and things waste time and energy. Style your hair while damp with a good leave in is always the easiest. trying to comb and style dry natural hair will do nothing more than cause more frustration.

Last edited:

ThursdayGirl

Char, I really have nothing to add. I do basically what babyblue does. I did want you to know though, that your twists are marvelous. You have done a really wonderful job with your hair.

JustKiya

Have you tried flat-twists? They are prettier than cornrows, can go in quickly, and the length of your hair doesn't really matter - you can bun/ponytail/use a hair stick and pull up any loose/extra hair. you can do your whole head with five or six 'twists' - and it'll look fabulous.

I've been flattwisting my hair for about a month, and I LOVE it - I can keep changing up the styles, it stays in all week and I can still moisturize my hair and treat my scalp..... I think it's a great style.... and FAST.

Miss*Tress

I don't really have any tips for you, Char, but whatever you're doing to your hair is making it thrive. It's absolutely beautiful.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
cheetarah1980 - Thank you for your post, I know you're right, I'm just in a 'hair funk' right now! I don't think wash and go and puffs would work for me, and I don't like big massive puffs either, and I also have a hung up on my big forehead, so like hair to come down by my face LOL, thanks for the comments, I didn't realise my Fotki was set to comments from friends only.

kinchen - Thank you for your comments! Much appreciated.

babyblue - Thank you for your advice! I checked out your album, it's hot!! I think variety is definitely the key here, I need to try something new, because at the moment, I've convinced myself my hair can't do anything and always looks a frizzy mess. I have so many products, and some haven't seen the light of day. I think I'll also purchase some rollers, and see how that goes. I like the sound of the twist out, I might give that a go next.

naturallylovely - For some reason, I can't get my hair to go into a low pony tail, but wouldn't wear one anyway, because of my forehead! Thanks for replying.

bluehatter - Thank you for your comments, I think it's a bit of both, I'm totally fed up of twists, and frustrated that it seems to take all night! I really think I did my first twists when my hair was long and it only took about 3 hours, it's now taking between 5-6 hours, and they look like locks after about 3 weeks. I generally go back to braids when I get fed up, which I guess is part of the problem, because I'm not really getting to know my hair.

ThursdayGirl - Thank you for your comments!! Much appreciated :)

nappywomyn - I haven't tried flat twists, do you have any pictures? I'm very interested in this!

Miss*Tress - Thank you for your comments!! :) :)

OK, so I guess I just need to let go of the fear and try something less time consuming. I mean, obviously, I won't be ruling out twists completely, but it's definitely time for change.

Thanks again ladies, you've been really helpful!

xx

londonjakki

I looked at your fotki & I luv your twists and cornrows....sorry I don't have any advice either....I'm mostly natural the front is about 12 inches and the back about 8inches..Its true the longer it gets the bigger......I'm planning on wearing braids for the next year...I also tried to wear mine, natural braids out etc...it doesn't work for me I also have an issue with my forehead.....I'll be watching this thread for advice also!!!! :) :) :)

JustKiya

The only pictures I have are of my own head - but if you go over to np.com and check out the style gallery, I THINK there are some other pictures there too...

This was the first set I made - I think I've gotten better since then. :lachen: At least I hope so! And of course, you could do more rows of flat twists....

The picture in my siggy file is the back of this - I put that one section of hair into twists, and then made a wee baby bun out of them....
When I trimmed my hair, I lost enough length that I can't babybun anymore, so instead I do flattwists that go straight down, and join the end of the twists at my nape and 'tuck' them in....

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
londonjakki - Big foreheads unite! LOL (not saying yours is, but still :) )

nappywomyn - I forgot all about NP.com, I'm going to head over there soon! Thanks for posting the picture. It looks difficult to achieve that style, but is probably very easy, so I'm going to give it a go and see what happens :)

JustKiya

*giggles*

The first couple of times, it's hard (or at least it was for me) getting my fingers in the right place/going the right direction. Once I got the hang of it though - it is/was a snap....

seraphinelle

I just did an afro puff all day every day.

I wasn't very eventful!

Although, I did start CWC in the mornings, using some scrunching gel for curls, and then tying down the front with a headband.

I did twists.

And did cornrows.

DragonPearl

I CANNOT spend hours twisting my hair, especially when I NEED to wash my hair once a week or at the very least every 10 days. I am not one of those who can keep twists in for weeks.

So I have cut down on the number of twists I make. Last time, I made less than 20 twists, kept them overnight, and undid them the following day. I am currently wearing my hair in a 3-day old twistout, in an half up, half down style. When this gets tired, I will roll it into a french twist.