5 A Day Fruit and Veggie Challenge

I want in. I am going back to the basic food pryamid, and focusing on eating healthy.
Its not how much you eat. Its what you eat

I definitely NEED to join. I just increased my fruit/veggie intake to about 2-3 servings a day. That's a lot for me since prior to 2006 my intake was 1 serving every 1-2 weeks :eek: :( :nono: This challenge will be great for me since I'm trying to be healthier this year. One question though...how do you guys eat 5 servings a day, I can bearly eat 2-3 servings???

sweetness0099 said:
I would suggest for the ladies..especially anyone doing protein smoothies that adding fruit to shakes is an excellent way to up the amount u eat..
Also frozen fruit is a life saver...I get the big bags from Costco/Sams of mixed berries and fruit..this saves me time in preparation and I can take a large bowl with me to work or mix them in my smoothies..
also I have a fruit bowl at my desk at work so I when I grocery shop, I get fruit for the job as well..
Also Costco/Sams are very cost effective for purchasing fruit...
I get kiwis(12 for $4), 4lbs of bananas for $1.25 mixed fruit for $5...plus with so much fruit, it forces me to eat more so it doesn't waste...hth someone..

Excellent advice!! Thank you.

I think I will make this my first challenge on the LHCF. Im in!

karmelsassy said:
I definitely NEED to join. I just increased my fruit/veggie intake to about 2-3 servings a day. That's a lot for me since prior to 2006 my intake was 1 serving every 1-2 weeks :eek: :( :nono: This challenge will be great for me since I'm trying to be healthier this year. One question though...how do you guys eat 5 servings a day, I can bearly eat 2-3 servings???

I put it in tupperware containers and take it with me. During the week, I'm mostly eating things that are easy to take on the go i.e. a plastic bag of strawberries, a bowl of blueberries, 2 pears, a baggie of carrots & celery etc.

It's really not that difficult if you keep the fruit around. You have to keep it in sight so that you're reminded of it. I keep a tally throughout the day. So far today, I've had a banana, a bowl of blueberries, a huge pear, a plum, and some cherry tomatoes. I'll have a couple more servings when I get home. The diet is supposed to consist primarily of fruits and veggies. Americans have so many diseases that can be cured with diet and exercise that it's ridiculous...I'm gonna get started on that. :look:

Find some fruits/veggies you enjoy, and start with those. Then you can work your way up and before you know it, you'll be eatin 7-10 servings without thinking about it. ;)

We start Wednesday so maybe you can stock up this weekend...:D

angelk316 said:
I want in. I am going back to the basic food pryamid, and focusing on eating healthy.
Its not how much you eat. Its what you eat

Salaam,

They have a new food pyramid last year 4-19-05. I have the Web address if your interested MyPyramid.gov

Divine Inspiration said:
I put it in tupperware containers and take it with me. During the week, I'm mostly eating things that are easy to take on the go i.e. a plastic bag of strawberries, a bowl of blueberries, 2 pears, a baggie of carrots & celery etc.

It's really not that difficult if you keep the fruit around. You have to keep it in sight so that you're reminded of it. I keep a tally throughout the day. So far today, I've had a banana, a bowl of blueberries, a huge pear, a plum, and some cherry tomatoes. I'll have a couple more servings when I get home. The diet is supposed to consist primarily of fruits and veggies. Americans have so many diseases that can be cured with diet and exercise that it's ridiculous...I'm gonna get started on that. :look:

Find some fruits/veggies you enjoy, and start with those. Then you can work your way up and before you know it, you'll be eatin 7-10 servings without thinking about it. ;)

We start Wednesday so maybe you can stock up this weekend...:D

Definitely!! Cancer runs in my family so this (plus excerise) will put me on the path to good health (and thick healthy hair can't hurt :lol: )

Ok ladies, Feb. 1 was supposed to be day 1, but I didn't have access to the hair board. However, I did have 6 fruit & veggie servings! Has everyone started??

Hmmmmm huh, I got mine in for the day. I tossed some carrots, spinach, apple and cucumber in the juicer and had me about 16oz of fresh juice. Hope that's not cheating :grin:

LuvLiLocks said:
Hmmmmm huh, I got mine in for the day. I tossed some carrots, spinach, apple and cucumber in the juicer and had me about 16oz of fresh juice. Hope that's not cheating :grin:
I find juicing to be an excellent way to get in my fruits and veggies. :fat: But I make sure I eat some too in order to get that fiber.

Divine Inspiration said:
Ok ladies, Feb. 1 was supposed to be day 1, but I didn't have access to the hair board. However, I did have 6 fruit & veggie servings! Has everyone started??
Yes Ma'am! Fiber is my friend :lol:! I'm working on increasing my servings per day. I'm at about 3-5 servings a day (depending on how busy my day is). It's kinda tough but I'm hanging in there.

I've started!!!
but i'm having a bad fruit week. Literally.

I'm still eating my 6-7 fruits and veggies a day, focusing on plums, pears, cherries, carrots,lettuce, red peppers, and haha raisins in my raisin bran crunch. Oh yea, and Not from concetrate apple juice...

But my fruits that I purchased this week at the local flea market..(they usually have a really good fresh fruit/veggie section) I guess I went too late in the day, cuz i was waiting on friend...

It was all rotten/over ripe.... My fruits are soooo gross this week, all my cherries are brown in the middle, so i have to eat around the bad parts...

I threw away like 4 pears, and my coworked laughed at me today when i showed him my plum, cuz i thought it was rotten too. Nah. he said it's just overripe, and it's trying to turn into a prune, which is good for my 'regularity':lachen:

oookkk.. anyway.. all that to say, i'm still trucking away on the fruit thing, i'm actually not eating any meat until monday, (i'm trying to do a modified fast)

So we'll see what the benefits are next week.
I'll holla back if I feel all sparkling new!!!

Hello! I've been doing at least 3-4 fruits and 2-3 veggies a day. I decided to buy my fruits/veggies a week at a time so that none of it spoils. I've had a big mixed green salad for lunch for the last 2 days (willl have another today) loaded with red bell pepper, cucumbers and tomatoes. I broiled zucchini and squash for dinner last night. My fruits are bananas, blackberries, peaches, plums, apples, kiwi, grapefruit. Plus I toss the frozen smoothie fruit mixture in my morning protein shake.

Off topic - has anyone ever had a colonic? I'm scheduled to have my first one tomorrow morning (will do another one next week) so I'm hoping afterwards my body will actually start utilizing all the vitamins/minerals that I'm taking in and benefit my hair growth!

Im in Divine Inspiration my diet officially started yesterday. even though i started a couple weeks ago jan 1 i was at 170lb i lost 10lb on fruits in 2 weeks i just ate oranges and grapefruit for breakfast and dinner

wow impressive plan i wanna do that lmjenk67 thanks for posting this!

lmjenk67 said:
Sorry about that! My church did a 21 day Daniel Fast so a lot of the "bad" food items were eliminated. Here's a list of what we could/couldn't have:
TYPES OF FOODS INCLUDED IN THE FAST:
• Whole Grains: Brown Rice, Oats, Barley
• Legumes: Dried Beans, Pinto Beans, Split Peas, Lentils, Black Eyed
Peas
• Fruits: Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries,
Boysenberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Cranberries, Oats, Figs,
Grapefruit, Grapes, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Kiwi, Lemons,
Limes, Mangoes, Nectarines, Papayas, Peaches, Pears, Pineapples,
Plums, Prunes, Raisins, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tangelos,
Tangerines, Watermelon
• Vegetables: Artichokes, Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels
Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chili Peppers, Corn,
Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Gingerroot, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce,
Mushrooms, Mustard Greens, Okra, Onions, Parsley, Potatoes,
Radishes, Rutabagas, Scallions, Spinach, Sprouts, Squashes, Sweet
Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini
• Seeds, Nuts, Sprouts
• Liquids: Spring Water, Distilled Water, 100% All-Natural Fruit
Juices, 100% All Natural Vegetable Juices (No Fruit Punch, Hi-C,
etc)
• WATER: Drink a minimum of eight glasses of water daily through
out the fast. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
FOODS NOT INCLUDED:
1. Sugar and sugar products (i.e. desserts, soft drinks, etc.)
2. Beverages that include caffeine (i.e. coffee, tea, etc.)
3. Breads, grains (rice is an exception)
4. Meats, fish poultry, eggs, dairy products, butter
5. Fried foods
6. Carbonated beverages
7. Foods containing preservatives or additives
8. Refined sugar
9. Sugar substitutes
10. White flour and all products containing it
11. Margarine, shortening, high fat products

I ate organic oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Usually cut up a banana or apple in it. Since we really couldn't have too much to drink, I mostly drank 65+ oz of water a day.

Since I was increasing my veggie/fruti intake, I did the 15 day Tiao He cleanse as well (www.thegreatestherbsonearth.com). I also did Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone (30-45 mins) 4-5x/week.

Hope this helps.

I started my fruit intake on Monday. I've been eating about 5 fruit a day, I'm slowly getting to adding the vegetables.

Salaam,

The challenge official started for me last week, I've been getting in about 3 fruits and about 2-3 veggies daily. So far so good. But just to make sure I'm going to make weekly trips to my grocery store to stay stocked up on my produce.

am interested injoining as well. my fruit and veg intake is virtually non existent.i need tips to make sure am getting enough

Divine Inspiration said:
Yep! I plan to start an update thread soon, but we can compare notes here. Den, are you in?
Yes, i'm in!! I juicing fruits and vege and saving the pulp to add in my smoothie maker machine. yum yum lol

Okay, I am in ...just started my day with a nectarine, a banana, and a warmed serving of prunes (about 5). Hey, I gotta start somewhere ;)

i been in . i went to buy my produce for the week and stuff yesterday man i bought two 3lbs of organic gala apples, and 3 boxes of diamond roasted almonds, organic salad, with blue cheese, 8th continent light vanilla soy milk (for my colonix fiber shakes),organic ACV, organic EVOO,organic balsamic vinegar, organic mustard ( so i can make my own dressings) and some potatoes and 4 gallons of purified water, asparagus,tuna cans. and i started the colonix yesterday i m on day 2 so far so good. i m trying to eat an apple as breakfast with my fiber shake and at lunch i'll have either a potato or a salad or both. and all day i munch on apples and nuts cause i need to have something in my mouth. i find the perfect snack to cure me from my potato chips disease , i snack on raw baby carrots and almonds and apples. but i m eating more fruits and nuts than veggies i need to increase my veggie consumption;)

Last edited:
This morning I had seasoned grilled red and green bell peppers with eggs and orange juice with a morning star (vegitarian) sausage patty. That's four already!!

AllAboutTheHair said:
This morning I had seasoned grilled red and green bell peppers with eggs and orange juice with a morning star (vegitarian) sausage patty. That's four already!!

wow AllAboutTheHair! i looooove me some Morningstar and Boca patties. the sausages, the ground meat i m scared to try their chicken and beef like strips though:D :p i like your breakfast a lot i needed some variety bored of eating one apple and i m joining the gym monday i need more food lol i m try your recipe eggs and veggie pattie and orange juice that makes you full right there

Have you tried their Garden Veggie Patties, that is what I plan to have for lunch with a Gala apple (galas are the bomb!) and maybe a lettuce and tomatoe salad. I gotta get my digestion right before I jump into exercise again :)

Back