A "Natural Hair" Category??

hothair

I disagree with a separate natural form/ sub forum/ area etc.

However I think maybe if the search engine was better:look: able to group relevant topics it would cut down on time and frustration...for example I need to find a thread on humidity and caruso setting 4 ab hair and I KNOW I won't find the threa I KNOW exists:rolleyes:

dinaaike

I agree that it would be a great idea.

When I mentioned this site to family members, the first thing they said was, "yeah, but they don't have 'our kind' of hair". I had to search around for non-texlaxed hair that had a similar curl pattern to convince them that it was possible to have waist-length curly hair that was not chemically processed.

There don't seem to be many hard-core naturals here. I think a lot of us are in it for the fun and beauty of it. Most of the posts I see seem more interested in the personal challenge of finding their personal best. While I agree that a search feature capable of categorizing would be VERY helpful, a section dedicated to those specifically avoiding chemical processing might help simply things for some people. After all, the needs of hair change greatly after a process.

Maynard

I agree that it would be a great idea.

When I mentioned this site to family members, the first thing they said was, "yeah, but they don't have 'our kind' of hair". I had to search around for non-texlaxed hair that had a similar curl pattern to convince them that it was possible to have waist-length curly hair that was not chemically processed.

There don't seem to be many hard-core naturals here. I think a lot of us are in it for the fun and beauty of it. Most of the posts I see seem more interested in the personal challenge of finding their personal best. While I agree that a search feature capable of categorizing would be VERY helpful, a section dedicated to those specifically avoiding chemical processing might help simply things for some people. After all, the needs of hair change greatly after a process.

What's a hard-core natural? I think there is a site for those "hard-core" naturals....the exact opposite of LHCF

DeepBluSea

I disagree with a separate natural form/ sub forum/ area etc.

However I think maybe if the search engine was better:look: able to group relevant topics it would cut down on time and frustration...for example I need to find a thread on humidity and caruso setting 4 ab hair and I KNOW I won't find the threa I KNOW exists:rolleyes:

I think either trying a temporary sub forum or the above search engine idea would be a great compromise. I don't think it would be divisive at all. I think we can handle it all ladylike.:yep:

OT: As for the other hair site, I think it just goes to show everything ain't for everybody. The goals of that site are plainly stated. If you don't read it then someone will *usually* nicely tell you that topic isn't allowed. I wouldn't go to the other site to ask what heat protectant and "flaming hot tool of torture" to use. :spinning: Just like a gay athiest looking for advice on her breakup with her gf would be schooled that this site may not be the site fo her. You know what I'm saying. Take the bitter with the sweet.

glamazon386

What's a hard-core natural? I think there is a site for those "hard-core" naturals....the exact opposite of LHCF

Yeah... what's the definition of a hard core natural? I'm not natural for the beauty of it. I'm natural because it's the best thing for my hair.

NewYorkgyrl

I thiink it is a GREAT idea,

I don't care how many tips people give on how to work the search engine. When trying to find topics relevant to natural hair I ALWAYS have problems and never get the info I was really looking for.

dinaaike

Yeah... what's the definition of a hard core natural? I'm not natural for the beauty of it. I'm natural because it's the best thing for my hair.

A hard core natural is the natural elitist. The one that looks down on those who aren't on the chemical-free bandwagon.

I haven't seen any posts by those who would say nay to anyone doing what works best for them.

glamazon386

A hard core natural is the natural elitist. The one that looks down on those who aren't on the chemical-free bandwagon.

I haven't seen any posts by those who would say nay to anyone doing what works best for them.

That's what I figured. It just seemed to me that when you said there weren't any hard core naturals here you made it seem like we're just in it because it's fad or something. Like we don't take it seriously. And that's not neccessarily true. Also, you aren't going to see those types of elitist natural posts here since we don't allow those types of posts on this board. But don't think that they don't exist on this board. They just don't say it. Some people flip the script as soon as they get to the other board. Like they're two totally different people. I've seen it happen quite often.

Last edited:

TinyT

I do think this a nice idea for a pilot forum. I would continue to visit the main Haircare forum as well. It just seems that having a designated area would assist the natural with natural specific questions or issues. The LHCF culture is such an accepting one that I do not believe that a specfic Discussion Board for Natural Hair would be seen as divisive. If anything it creates a more inclusive forum that can more directly aid and address the issues of natural or chemically processed ladies. It's worth a try.

ScandalousBeauty

So, how do we get the mods in on this?? I've been on NP for the last hour just wishing I could find stuff this easily here at LHCF!

chocolatejalapeno

I wish they wold at least try it out... how can you knock something if you haven't even tried it. :mad:

I would love to be able to gather hair care tips from my natural sisters in one location.

Avyn

I would love a forum for naturals. Can't they just add another one similar to the Christan forum and the health and beauty forum. I think that they are being prejudiced against the naturals.

Country gal

I like having one forum for all hair care related topics. My natural hair has strived without having a natural only board. I still get great product advice from the relaxed heads.

BonBon

Speaking from the point of view as someone whose texlaxed but has a fro:

I tend to ask for help with eg, rollersetting, styling, cutting, detangling etc.. from naturals but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going to the natural section & that would end up in not benifitting from the afro support lol.
I support the natural section idea tho and it wouldnt stop people mixing on the main section hopefully.

I would like it if their was a texlaxed bit tho if I was welcome asking questions in natural:perplexed.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I like having one forum for all hair care related topics. My natural hair has strived without having a natural only board. I still get great product advice from the relaxed heads.
Same here. Plus, I am content with what I do with my hair now. I'm no longer in that "trial and error" stage looking for advice and tips, so I'm straight.

However, I think it would be a great idea to have a natural hair section for ladies who are still trying to figure things out and don't want to get butchered over at Nappturality.