A New Henna Thread

I see that some relaxed heads choose to henna after a touch up...I am considering a henna treatment tomorrow (gloss). Has anyone experienced a negatie difference hennaing first and then relaxing , like a week later?

I was always told to color your relaxer not to relax ur color.

Okay ladies, I am so excited that I have to post this in all the ayurveda threads I can think of. It's a response email I got from Ekua at http://ayurnaturalbeauty.ecrater.com...keywords=henna, is this service or what?

Here it is:

Hi Agatha,

I'm back in town and have been busy with fulfilling the orders that came in the past few days while I was away. I see your order delivered. I hope all was satisfactory!

Good news (and you should spread the word) ... I should have indigo, cassia, and pure henna (100% henna, no blends) by the end of this month. I received the samples and they are all very finely sifted -- very powdery. This first order is a smaller one as I want to be sure of how well it will be received. If response is favorable, then I will increase the supply.

As for the discount, I know I was going to offer free shipping over a certain amount ordered and I was thinking of 10% off across the hair boards. Still working it all out.

I appreciate you being willing to promote me across the boards. I need the support as there is no AyurNatural Beauty without the support of customers! Any and all feedback is welcome!

Please stay in touch and also, I'm working on my blog for store updates and announcements -- http://ayurnaturalbeauty.blogspot.com -- feel free to join!

And I was recently interviewed by Kinky Rhonnie on her blog. See here -- http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com/2009/07/ekuas-ayurnatural-beauty.html

Again, thank you for your support!

~ Ekua

This email was in response to an email I sent her earlier in the week. Everyone feel free to visit her blog spot. I am so excited about the indigo:grin:. That was costing me an arm and 2 legs in shipping charges coming from Canada and I just don't want to pay those anymore:nono:.

I am itching to do a henna+indigo two step treatment but I don't even need to do it. I just colored my hair a month ago.

But Karishma Henna is so effective and softening... I want to use it all of the time. :whyme: And it's so cheap... only 1.49-1.99 USD at my Indian store. I'm trying to be frugal and only color my hair every three months but I love henna!

I have never heard or usually recommend that anyone use henna on their face. At least not natural henna. It is safest on skin for body art (not face really), and for hair usage. I've had requests to do henna on people's face before but I usually decline.

ok so I see it says to leave henna on for like 6 hours...but if I just want to use henna for conditioning purposes and stregthen purposes (maybe a little color) whats a good amt of time 2 leave it on...

I used cassia for the first time today and I LOVE it!!! Is henna much better? Are the results similar? I keep reading that cassia does not compare. I think I am going to have to try henna next

Henna works a bit better as it is more long term and permanent. You can do it every 4-6 weeks (henna), but with cassia for condition and protective results you may need to do it every 3-4 weeks. We can see this because with cassia on light hair it fades out, whereas henna doesn't fade, it has to grow out

Good morning ladies,
I had a quick question regarding henna usage and sulfur mixes. Does anyone here use henna and apply sulfur based growth mixes frequently? If so, have you experienced any ill side effects?
tia,
tishee

Good question. I use Growth Specifics Revitalizing Hair Balm pretty regularly - 'bout 3 or 4 times per week. (http://www.growthspecifics.com/ ) I still henna faithfully every 2nd and 4th friday of each month. I have noticed absolutely NO ill side effects whatsoever. The only thing I do specifically for "henna week" is to make sure I DO NOT oil my scalp on the Thursday nite, since I am sleeping with henna on the Friday nite. That's it. Nothing special what soever. Matter of fact, that same nite (Saturday nite....), after my freshly henna'd head is dry, I do a whole head baggy, and I oil my scalp with my hair balm!! Yup...works like a charm for me, and I never skip a beat.

Hope this helps.

I have a quick question:

I received some opened henna from hennaforhair.com (it's still in the package, but it's opened) I called customer service and they're sending me a new pack, but I was wondering if its too late to freeze the opened powder? It's been exposed to air for almost a week...should I just throw it out? TIA

It should be okay. I wouldn't throw it away. What crop year is it? Does it have any writting on it. I'd say you could still use it, as I am sure they always sell relatively fresh henna powder

Quick Question:

After a henna treatment, would it be safe to do a Aphogee protein treatment right after?...or should I do it before the aphogee treatment?

*Of course I will follow up with a Deep conditioning treatment after everything*

It should be okay. I wouldn't throw it away. What crop year is it? Does it have any writting on it. I'd say you could still use it, as I am sure they always sell relatively fresh henna powder

Thanks for responding...its BAQ 3 Henna from Yemen: NEW CROP, I just put it in the freezer

So from Yemen it came in a green bag right? The new crop meaning summer 2009? It should be good. I noticed too with this order there were more faulty henna bags from Yemen then usual. So it's not their fault but the manufacturer in Yemen that has some packaging issues. It's hard to catch the openings some times because you have to press down on them and then see some powder leak out. Is that what happened?

hi, henna ladies. i've been using henna once a week but lately i've been feeling lazy, last week i applied henna to the last third of my hair only (basically the ends) and left it on overnight. the breakage that i had been getting (when i'm due for my next treatment) stopped immediately. so i've decided to do full head henna treatments only every 2-3 weeks and ends every week as i use henna mainly to stengthen my line between relaxed and natural hair.
any one else ever try this or anything similar?

I use a Henna I bought at the Indian store it's called "Atul Henna" and there is Shikaki, Katha and Amla powder in it :yep:. One bag costs me $2.99 and that is good for about 2-3 applications.

I use it once a week everytime I wash my hair I mix it with plain full fat yogurt, hot water, olive oil and castor oil. I base my hair and scalp with coconut oil so my hair won't dry out as quickly and my hair is freshly washed (with shampoo) before application. I LOVE the colour and my hair feels super healthy.

I've only done this twice (I used to do it before, but that was only once a month) weekly, I'm doing more often to see if I can get a growth spurt. I'm hoping to be FULL APL by this Christmas (right now the longest part of my hair passes APL)

I use a Henna I bought at the Indian store it's called "Atul Henna" and there is Shikaki, Katha and Amla powder in it :yep:. One bag costs me $2.99 and that is good for about 2-3 applications.

I use it once a week everytime I wash my hair I mix it with plain full fat yogurt, hot water, olive oil and castor oil. I base my hair and scalp with coconut oil so my hair won't dry out as quickly and my hair is freshly washed (with shampoo) before application. I LOVE the colour and my hair feels super healthy.

I've only done this twice (I used to do it before, but that was only once a month) weekly, I'm doing more often to see if I can get a growth spurt. I'm hoping to be FULL APL by this Christmas (right now the longest part of my hair passes APL)
thanks for sharing! do you mind me asking how much yogurt you use in your mixture? I purchased a bag of Karishma henna locally and it states to use yogurt & egg(for extra body) for the conditioning treatment. ETA: is this the henna that you use:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Pack-ATUL-INS...nk-MEHNDI_W0QQitemZ350100037995QQcmdZViewItem

thanks for sharing! do you mind me asking how much yogurt you use in your mixture? I purchased a bag of Karishma henna locally and it states to use yogurt & egg(for extra body) for the conditioning treatment. ETA: is this the henna that you use:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Pack-ATUL-INS...nk-MEHNDI_W0QQitemZ350100037995QQcmdZViewItem

The one I buy looks like this: http://new.punjabfoodcenter.com/images/Picture 1451.jpg it doesn't say it on the front but on the back it says it has Shikaki in it. I would say that I use a pretty decent amount of Yogurt in my mix (I add the Yogurt and the oil in before I add the water and the water is used only to thin the paste). I never actually measured how much, but a pretty hefty amount of yogurt, a 1:4 ratio perhaps? I add a lot because the henna can be really drying and it really helps with moisture.

So from Yemen it came in a green bag right? The new crop meaning summer 2009? It should be good. I noticed too with this order there were more faulty henna bags from Yemen then usual. So it's not their fault but the manufacturer in Yemen that has some packaging issues. It's hard to catch the openings some times because you have to press down on them and then see some powder leak out. Is that what happened?

Yes, the Yemen is in a green bag and I thought it was just leakage, but when I looked it was completely opened. I bought two and the unopened one is sealed air tight.

Ok I know I asked how long to leave henna on if your mainly doing it for the conditioning purposes/stregthening purposes, BUT if you are only doing it for these purposes how long should u let ur mix sit before using it??

Does it have to set out overnight or do u just mix and apply??

Thanks ladies...thinking about trying it this weekend but still a little :ohwell: b/c it seems like A LOT of work!! and i'm a KISS kinda girl lol

So a month ago I said henna didn't work for me on this thread. But I tried it again and it worked greeeat! I used Jamalia henna 2009 crop, added ION light protein treatment, oil (I don't remember which one), green tea, and a heaping tablespoon of my powder mix (amla, maka, shikakai, and brahmi). I think the key was I rinsed my hair out using in a several sinkfuls of water. then DC'd with aveda moisture dc. Doing it again at the end of the week. YEA!

Ok I know I asked how long to leave henna on if your mainly doing it for the conditioning purposes/stregthening purposes, BUT if you are only doing it for these purposes how long should u let ur mix sit before using it??

Does it have to set out overnight or do u just mix and apply??

Thanks ladies...thinking about trying it this weekend but still a little :ohwell: b/c it seems like A LOT of work!! and i'm a KISS kinda girl lol

You can leave henna in for an hour if you like but 2-4 hours is optimal. Henna takes different amounts of time to develop I usually leave mine out for 2 hours but have applied it immediately. You are waiting only for the color to release and you can see this happen when the top layer starts to turn reddish brownish but underneath will be the original henna color. Some ladies apply it right after mix to avoid the color but I don't know how well that works.

You can make henna easier by using plenty of water in your mix (prevents drying aftereffects) which makes it easier to use an applicator bottle to apply the henna. When you do it this way it is as easy as applying hair color.

I'm henna-ing my hair right now. I'm sitting under my Pibbs to speed up the dye process. how long should I sit here since I'm using heat? Its been 90 minutes so far...

So, I'm finally going to do
a henna treatment tomorrow
and I need a few clarifications..

Do I use cool, lukewarm or hot water?
Is it okay to put some conditioner in the henna mix?
If I add oils to the mix, will my hair come out greasy?

TIA!
:grin:

So, I'm finally going to do
a henna treatment tomorrow
and I need a few clarifications..
:congratulations:Congrats on your forage into the henna world.:lachen:

Do I use cool, lukewarm or hot water?
I usually try to use room temperature water. For my nupur henna mixes, if the water is too hot, I get color release right away....don't ever want that. If the water is too cold, I have to stir forever to get out the lumps...don't want that either.

Is it okay to put some conditioner in the henna mix?
I always add a natural/no-cone conditioner to my henna mix, because I sleep with it over nite. I also combat the drying effect of henna. So I guess I'm dc'ing too....LOL!

If I add oils to the mix, will my hair come out greasy?
For me, I add a few squirts of Dabur Amla Oil to my henna mix. This helps the mix to simply rinse right out like nobody's business...

TIA!:grin:

Good Luck. I know you won't be sorry.

Using a warm liquid is really good so it gets the henna to wake up and start having dye release, not too fast, and not too slowly. Then you allow it to sit for the right amount of time (depending on which henna powder you are using, as each one varies)

Using a conditioner is fine with your mix especially if you have dry hair, but also keep in mind if you use conditoner, the reddish results will be less then with full strength henna paste/powder

A hair oil would be an ideal choice right into the henna paste recipe, or to use afterwards. If you choose the right hair oil, it shouldn't be too greasy. Argan oil is light and amazingly mositurizing. It keeps frizzies down big time.

Back