A New Henna Thread

AtlantaJJ

Thank you. For the colour, I just used red raj or Rajasthani henna and hibiscus powder, ground from dried hibiscus. I found the hibiscus colour was more vibrant when I ground and sifted the powder myself. I would also freeze my henna before using because I read that the colour would be more vibrant that way. Something about the lawsone molecules bursting. I applied to the top 2 thirds of my head (leaving the bottom section henna-free), always root to tip.
This is all true, this is what I do and I love my grays, they look like highlights.

AtlantaJJ

@lavaflow99 do you use aloe vera powder in your mix? I will be doing my first henna ever and I want t avoid the whole hair drying out fiasco many people experience.
I always use aloe powder in all of my Ayurveda batches. I recommend hibiscus powder as well. Mix using hibiscus tea made with distilled water. Use hot or warm tea to mix your batch. Freeze the batch before using to get the strongest dye release.

FelaShrine

I always use aloe powder in all of my Ayurveda batches. I recommend hibiscus powder as well. Mix using hibiscus tea made with distilled water. Use hot or warm tea to mix your batch. Freeze the batch before using to get the strongest dye release.
Hm thanks for sharing. Ive always avoiding hibiscus because I dont want that red/orange tinge AT ALL. Is that not why its used?

AtlantaJJ

Hm thanks for sharing. Ive always avoiding hibiscus because I dont want that red/orange tinge AT ALL. Is that not why its used?
Henna is really what gives the red/orange, so if you don't want that, you will have to use indigo in some fashion to help change the red to a varying shade of brown or black. Some people use Alma powder to help tone down the red / orange of henna but the outcome is still reddish. I use hibiscus powder and tea because I think it helps to make the tones of my grays more red to a dark auburn color over time and it's a growth aide.

GGsKin

Echoing @AtlantaJJ, henna is the one with staining properties. In my experience, hibiscus alone does not deposit colour. When I used henna, I added hibiscus to deepen or emphasise the red tones of the henna. The preparation is also key, (freezing) so that my hair turned out less orange, and more red/ burgundy. I used Rajathani or red raj henna, since they have a deeper hue than some other regions. Basically, I did everything I could to ensure that my hair turned out more red, than orange. But it will definitely be in that hue if no indigo is used.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
@lavaflow99 do you use aloe vera powder in your mix? I will be doing my first henna ever and I want t avoid the whole hair drying out fiasco many people experience.
My bad as I am just seeing this. I don’t use aloe Vera powder. My hair doesn’t get crazy dry after henna/indigo. But I may consider adding.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Finishing up a henna/indigo session as I currently have indigo on my hair now. Will wash out and DC overnight.

On a schedule of henna/indigo every 10 weeks. My grays are getting more extensive. :nono: May need to bump it up to every 6-8 weeks.

GGsKin

Decided to start using henna again. On Sunday, i used a mix of henna and hibiscus powder. I happened to have some clove water in the fridge, so I diluted with hot water and used that for my liquid. I like to lean towards richer redder tones, so I will be back.

AtlantaJJ

Decided to start using henna again. On Sunday, i used a mix of henna and hibiscus powder. I happened to have some clove water in the fridge, so I diluted with hot water and used that for my liquid. I like to lean towards richer redder tones, so I will be back.
How did adding the clove water turn out for you? Did it affect your color in anyway? I should try it!!

GGsKin

How did adding the clove water turn out for you? Did it affect your color in anyway? I should try it!!
@AtlantaJJ
My hair turned out quite brown, but I've grown out and cut off all my previously hennaed hair, so I expected that result. I got a good stain. I can't say it affected the colour but it had no negative effects for me. (I have another application prepared with clove water, that I am going to use.) Also, I usually mix my hibiscus in after the dye has released in the henna, but I did an all in one mix on Sunday. I definitely want to lean more red. I had a fair amount of treatments before to build to that lovely red/ wine colour, and so it will be interesting to see how many it takes this time.

GGsKin

Currently sitting with a mix of henna, hydrated fenugreek and hibiscus. The last time I used fenugreek in my mix, I found it quite moisturising, so I decided to hydrate and strain it properly this time.

GGsKin

Another henna tx this weekend. This time I used hibiscus tea and mainly beet water (grated and boiled with the hibiscus tea) as my liquid. Once again, I didn't freeze my mix (or add any essential oils this time). After rinsing, I'm currently sitting with some hydrated fenugreek and conditioner as a mask. I used the hibiscus & beet water to hydrate the fenugreek and it's a beautiful vibrant deep pink. Wonderfully messy in the shower lol.

Last edited:

Aggie

I still have some demi permanent color to use up, at least 6 more color treatments. After they are all gone, I will also be back to using henna/indigo for my hair coloring treatments plus some other ayurveda powders I have in my stash. I have Aloe Powder, Amla, Brahmi, hibiscus, rose petals and rose powder, cloves, moringa powder, and fenugreek. I want some Kalpi Tone next but it is so hard to find now. I saw it on Amazon but it is twice the price now and this has been prohibiting me from purchasing it. I might as well just buy the powders separately and make my own mix.

Last edited:

sweetiep

Anybody still using Henna and Indigo?

I went back to both and so glad I did. Demi was too strong for my hair and semi was barely lasting the next day. Just used henna/indigo yesterday. This was my third time after years of not using and my hair hasn’t been this black in forever. I started graying at 17 so about 90-95% of my hair is gray. Nothing against gray but I love black hair.
Took this today and did a length check while I was at it. It’s coming along nicely.

AtlantaJJ

I'm still doing my henna...I switched up my batch by adding neem powder and fenugreek seed that's blended and sifted into a gel. This is for my scalp health and it's fabulous! My hair is growing like weeds. I was having a good bit of hair loss in my crown due to age before I started this mixture. I also use nettle and rosemary tea as part of my liquid.