A Setback is a Setup for a Comeback - Pics on my Progress so Far

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Just wanted to share some pics and update on my progress after my first setback. I had a MAJOR setback that brought me back to my beginning length of barely SL when I was working my way towards APL.:perplexed It's so sad that it happened 3-4 months before my one year anniversary on LHCF so I basically had to start over.

I started noticing thinning/shedding and breakage about November 2009. So I don't know for sure what caused my setback but there are several things it could be.

1. The cold winter weather

2. Breakage started about a month after starting antibiotics for my acne (it dried my scalp out horribly). But it did work wonders for my acne.:grin:

3. I changed up my regimen and wasn't clarifying as much, overdid the ORS replenishing pack instead of alternating with my cholesterol, and slept without wrapping my head up too many times when staying at my BF's.

4. I never really increased my heat usage, which is usually once a week flat-iron after washing and airdrying, but I probably got lax on using enough heat protectant spray.

Anyway, I feel like I'm on my way back to at least my previous length so I'm not as depressed anymore. :drunk:

Things I did to get back on track:

1. Started drinking waaaaay more water and working out.

2. First two weeks I used castor oil on the scalp.

3. Third week I broke open my MSM capsules and mixed it with castor oil and applied that to my scalp. I don't want to take anything internally that may interfere with my acne or hormones. Oh yeah, I occasionally take fish oil tablets and garlic tablets.

4. Gave up on the MSM capsule and castor oil (got tired of the grains in my hair) and I pulled out the old Sulfur 8 grease. Used that alone for about 2 weeks.

I just received my sublimed sulfur powder yesterday so I plan to mix that with castor oil and start using that next week. I think the sulfur really does help with growth.

Thanks for letting me share!!

ETA: Sorry the wording is so grainy in the pics.
First pic - 8/31/09 - Healthiest my hair has been
Second Pic - 11/23/09 One week after relaxer, damage noticed
Third Pic - 2/8/10 - Cut some of the damage - back to starting length
Fourth Pic - 2/9/10 - Relaxed the next day/Started experimenting with castor oil/sulfur 8
Fifth and Sixth Pic - 3/18/10 - Relaxed early at barely 6 wks. Didn't want to risk more breakage/shedding from stretching. Plus, had lots of new growth.

Attachments

• Aftersetback.jpg
    Aftersetback.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Janet'

Congrats on figuring out what was causing the problem and then rectifying the situation. You have made some great progress. HHG!