Why Do People Make Silicone Look So Bad? There Are Some Benefits In Using It.

Blue_Berry

Silicone is not as bad than what people believe. Yes, over using it can lead to build up and up taking in sulfate shampoos usage, but there are some good qualities in using silicone products. It's a great heat protector. The silicone coats the hair shaft protecting it from heat damage. If you use straight olive oil or coconut oil as a heat protection on your hair you might cook or fry your hair which leads to further damage:

http://www.labmuffin.com/how-do-heat-protectant-hair-products-work/

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/why-oil-doesnt-work-as-a-heat-protectant/

pinkchocolatedaisy

I tend to use silicones when I wear my hair straight. I personally do not like sulfates so I have found products that are cone free. The only sulfate I use is coco betaine and it works just fine if and when I do use cones.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I believe in using silicones as a heat protectant too. I also find that they help for stretched styling as they keep out humidity and weigh my hair down.

However, I haven't found a non-stripping sulfate shampoo and I can feel the cones coating my hair on wash day if I don't use a sulfate, so I stay away from them (unless I'm straightening, which I do once a year or less).

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
When I was relaxed I could not use silicones. Even with SLS it was too much. I had nothing against them, but they didn't work. My hair would be dry from poo and then the cones would cause breakage. I had to eliminate the cones. When I stopped relaxing bone straight, I was able to use them without issue, especially since I rollerset a lot.

I haven't revisited cones fully as a natural but I do love them for heat styling. I haven't used heat in a year and a half though. I'm also not against using them again.

nymane

I'm a huge fan of Silicones. Many sulfate-free shampoos contain ingredients that can easily remove them.

According to the Science-y Hair Blog these ingredients effectively remove Silicones as well:
  • Cocamidopropyl betaine
  • Coco betaine
  • Cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine
  • Lauryl hydroxysultaine
  • Sodium cocoamphoacetate
  • Sodium Lauroamphoacetate

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I'm a fan of sulfates (I use a clarifying/chelating shampoo every wash). Despite having a large stash of natural/handmade products, I have no issue with silicones. I have a few conditioners with cones in them.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I did jump on the no sulfates and silicones a few years ago when it was hot on the boards, but that didn't really work. I love a nice thick leave-in and serum to smooth my cuticles especially for rollersets, to remove the heavy cones I need sulfates. I use a sulfate shampoo every wash.

Alma Petra

I avoid sulfates except when I get build up; they always strip my hair. But my hair loves silicones. Ironically I regularly cowash with a conditioner that contains bis-aminopropyl dimethicone (non-water soluble), and I can continue to do that forever without needing to clarify with sulfates. My build-up usually comes over time from the leave-ins because my hair likes them thick and heavy.

Ironically again, the only sulfate shampoo that my hair has loved so far (even though I can only lather once if I don't want to strip my hair) does contain a silicone: amodimethicone. Go figure!

Blue_Berry

I avoid sulfates except when I get build up; they always strip my hair. But my hair loves silicones. Ironically I regularly cowash with a conditioner that contains bis-aminopropyl dimethicone (non-water soluble), and I can continue to do that forever without needing to clarify with sulfates. My build-up usually comes over time from the leave-ins because my hair likes them thick and heavy.

Ironically again, the only sulfate shampoo that my hair has loved so far (even though I can only lather once if I don't want to strip my hair) does contain a silicone: amodimethicone. Go figure!

I agree with the sulfates. Those gentle cleansers are not going to get rid of those heavy creams and butters I use in my hair.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
I think it is a case of doing what works for you. For me, the use of silicones comes the need to clarify and strip my hair (because silicones are not easily removed). I prefer to keep my hair moisturized at all times, and the use of clarifying/stripping shampoos will not help me to do so. For my hair, silicones also cause a false sense of moisture -- meaning my hair feels moisturized but it really isn't.