Affirm problem w/dryness

angelbaby

Hi everyone. I have been checking out this board mostly as a lurker and I've gotten good information on haircare from this site. However, I've run into a bit of a problem. I purchased the large tub of the Affirm relaxer which I used with no problems at the beginning of the spring. I recently gave myself a touch up and my hair feels rather dry. I must stress that I have ONLY USED FOR TOUCH-UPS!

The first time I gave myself the Affirm touch up, I used the Elucence Barrier Balm, the Affirm Preservo, the Affirm Fiberguard Mild Relaxer, the Optimum Multi-Mineral Post Relaxer Normalizer/Moisturizer, Elucence Moisture Clarifying Shampoo, and the Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner. My hair was like SILK! It stayed straight, soft, and shiny.

The second time I gave myself the Affirm touch-up, I substituted the Optimum Multi-Mineral Post Relaxer Normalizer/Moisturizer with the Affirm Sustenance . My hair felt hard and it didn't get as straight. It still feels hard. I am using the Affirm from the same tub. What happened? Is it possible that the Sustenance has too much protein in it?

The products that I normally use on my hair are the Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo and Conditioner or the Moisture Clarifying Shampoo. The Elucence Moisture Barrier Balm, and the Lacio Lacio or Salerm 21. I also do a deep conditioner with the Motions CPR once a week. I wash my hair daily and have been doing so for years so I know that isn't the problem. It doesn't dry my hair out. My hair stays soft and supple from daily washing and conditioning. My problem started after this second touch-up. I took approximately 3 months between touch-ups.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

kitchen_tician

Hi and Welcome AngelBaby! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I use Affirm Lye Mild and haven't experienced any dryness with it at all. I've never tried the Sustenance, but your right, the Sustenance may have caused the dryness, but I'm not sure. Maybe, during your next wash, you can use your regular arsonal of products and hopefully it will get back to normal.

I would advise to do a good deep conditioner, that's very moisturizing. Keep us posted. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh yeah, I think MissB listed this as a HIT in the September Hits & Misses thread . Maybe she could give better insight about the product.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hi,

I probably won't be much help for your dryness problem, but I can tell you definitely that the Affirm Sustenance has no protein in it. Also, if you are only touching up your new growth, then the relaxer should not have contributed to all of your hair feeling dry. Was it only the new growth that was freshly relaxed that felt dry?

It could have been one of the products you used also.

angelbaby

No, everyplace that the Sustenance touched is dry. I don't think the problem is the relaxer, I think it was the Sustenance.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hmmm... sounds like the Sustenance may just be a drying conditioner for your hair. Affirm 5 in 1 seems to be really good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jellynote

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... sounds like the Sustenance may just be a drying conditioner for your hair. Affirm 5 in 1 seems to be really good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Have you thought about going back to what you were using before.

starz

I noticed that my scalp was dry after self-relaxing with Affirm. My hair was okay. I used a combination of 5 in 1 and Positive Link after the relaxer was rinsed out.

B

ballet_bun

I bought 2 bottle of Sustenance(plus a small sample someone sent me), but so far I have only used ot for CO Washes.

I thought that it didn't have protein in it, but onm the back of the bottle it says, " Sustenance Fortifying Treatment is an advanced, high performance conditioner containing an impressive blend of five conditioning agents. <font color="red"> Micro-Molecular proteins </font> and humectants penetrate deep within the hairshaft to help repair fiber damage, help moisturize and fortify. Hair becomes less susceptible to breakage and shedding."

However, looking at the ingredients, I can't tell which is supposed to be the protein.

stacy

Perhaps it's the combination of products you used, too. IMO, Affirm relaxers work best with Affirm after-relaxer products. Adding other products to the mix may not give you the best results on a consistent basis.

msniq

I had dryness with the no lye but after last time I have found a miracle! aveda hair revitalizer. oh my gosh. It is great. i used it as a deep cond. my hair has been shiney and bouncy all week long. it smells great too! I am soooo happy I bought it. Try it

angelbaby

I guess I won't be using the Sustenance anymore. I will go back to using the Optimum Post Relaxer Normalizer instead of the Sustenance next time I give myself a touch up.

I have been washing my hair daily with the Elucence Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner and it seems that it has softened up quite a bit. It took over a month, but at least it's happening.

Thank-you all for your insight. I will try the Aveda after my stash goes down a bit. I just purchased the Capilo Cinnamon and Sole and the Salerm Wheat Germ Mask.

hiza

I use Affirm Fiberguard Lye Mild 3 times a year and haven't experienced any dryness either.
It may be the Sustenance.

hiza...