AIR DRYERS....

ms_kenesha

After you airdry how do you style your hair? I have been hood drying, but with just combing my hair straight down, no wrap or roller set, but I follow up with a jumbo curling iron. I was wondering what no heat styling methods you all employ, so I can put down the iron!
laugh.gif

Same here--bun. I've gone downtown to one of the accessories stores here in Korea, and gotten a ton of hairsticks, combs and barrettes and throw one in if I'm feeling particularly "sassy". Other than that, summer bun is all there'll be this year. If you do it right, people will actually compliment you too. I've even worn two buns and gotten complimented.

Here's my current air drying styles, but I'm keeping my eye on this thread
smile.gif
... maybe I can pick up some new ones...

1) BRAID & TWIST STYLES
Wear cornrows, single braids, single ponytail braid, braid outs, braid out buns, braid out french rolls, single twists, single ponytail twist, single flat twists, single 2 strand twists, 2 strand flat twists, twist outs, twist out buns, twist out french rolls, add a few flat twisties w/twist outs, etc.... The possibilities are endless, & I can get really creative too . (BTW, I made up some of the names for description purposes).

2) FLEXI-ROD STYLES
I tried this some time ago but I didn't let it dry completely (i was pressed for time). I'm planning to give it another try real soon
cool.gif

3) BANTU KNOTS
Tried this for the first time on Fri. The knots make very cute lil spirals
smile.gif
, but it took 23 hrs to dry
frown.gif

4) BUNS
I'm wearing my first "air dry" in a bun right this second. Loving it so far...

[ QUOTE ]

BANTU KNOTS
Tried this for the first time on Fri. The knots make very cute lil spirals
smile.gif
, but it took 23 hrs to dry

[/ QUOTE ]
My hair is long and thick. When I do bantu knots, I sit under a hooded dryer for a little while once I first do them (about 20 - 30 minutes late evening). The the remainder of it dries overnight. Sitting under a hooded dryer should help your bantu knots to dry in way less than 23 hours. If I didn't sit under a hooded dryer for a little while my hair would be wet/damp forever.

I tried the bantu knots for the first and second times over the weekend. The first time, my hair was slightly damp ( I misted it with water and oil) and it turned out great in the morning. My hubby even commented "your hair looks beautiful". The next day(Sat) I CO washed and did bantu knots, sat under my dryer for a while, tied it up with a thin scarf and went to sleep. Sunday morning, it looked crinkly with a alot of sharp angles. Peachtree, is this what you meant by "rusty"?

[[ QUOTE ]
My hair is long and thick. When I do bantu knots, I sit under a hooded dryer for a little while once I first do them (about 20 - 30 minutes late evening). The the remainder of it dries overnight. Sitting under a hooded dryer should help your bantu knots to dry in way less than 23 hours. If I didn't sit under a hooded dryer for a little while my hair would be wet/damp forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been sitting under the dryer too lately because my hair never dries even over night. I sit under it for 20 minutes(my hair isn't as long as yours)...then finish over night. I think I'm gonna try the bantu knots.

When I did the bantu knots I didn't use the hooded dryer, but I also wore them a whole day and didn't unravel them to the next day. My curls were super tight! The only other time I had done bantu knots I did it on dried hair and not wet hair so I was surprised that the curls were sooo tight, it took two days for it to be looser. I like them better loose so I'll be doing them with 85% air dried hair next time!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I tried the bantu knots for the first and second times over the weekend. The first time, my hair was slightly damp ( I misted it with water and oil) and it turned out great in the morning. My hubby even commented "your hair looks beautiful". The next day(Sat) I CO washed and did bantu knots, sat under my dryer for a while, tied it up with a thin scarf and went to sleep. Sunday morning, it looked crinkly with a alot of sharp angles. Peachtree, is this what you meant by "rusty"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately not
nono.gif
. When I said "rusty", I was referring to my technique... see, I didn't secure the "coiled" knots with a hair pin, so the knots had loosened & were literally "flopping" around as I walked
laugh.gif
(however the ends were still secure). So I have to re-do each one.

[ QUOTE ]
4) BUNS
I'm wearing my first "air dry" in a bun right this second. Loving it so far...

[/ QUOTE ]

Updating...
When I unwrapped the bun, my hair was pretty straight. This is a nice healthy way to get "straight" hair
smile.gif

Peachtree-

I think I know what youre talking about when you speak of a bun, but could you describe it in detail and/or post a pic?
confused.gif

Also can someone post how to do the bantu knots (sp?)?

Thanks in advance.

Depends. Sometimes I wear my hair in a bun, braid or ponytail. If my hair dries wavy, I like to wear it loose.

. [ QUOTE ]
Gimme a sec... I'll post a "bun" pic...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice bun Peachtree
smile.gif
How did you do it? You a very good with hair. I sure wish you lived around the corner
laugh.gif

Awwww shucks, thanks Marabou & Allandra
cool.gif

Armyqt, thanks hon
cool.gif

I'm not as good with the buns as I'd like to be, be here's what I did.....dampened with distilled water & applied Wonder 8 throuhout. I've been testing out different bun techniques. This time I:

1) gathered hair loosely in the back to form a ponytail held by my left hand. (making sure the length is as straight as possible)

2) with my right head, rolled / twisted the length with my finger about 2x, just to get the length to bend a lil bit.

3) proceeded to "wrap" the length around itself (laying flat) in a circular motion (forming a donut). the technique I used this time was "wrap, twist, wrap, twist, etc". I'm trying to see if "twisting" makes a difference.

4) applied more oil to the ends & tuck the ends under the bun.
smile.gif

I haven't unwrapped the bun yet... but it's soooo soft, that if I shake my hand hard enough, it'll unwrap itself.... I think that's due to the distilled water, maybe
confused.gif
??? I'll see in a bit
smile.gif

Back