Have You ever taken Gelatin?

• Yurp

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Nerp

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

genesislocks

Mmmkay so! nobody wants to be "that guy" who says they're taking a new supplement but never follows up with a review. So...as promised here are the goods! :grin:

WARNING: This is a loong informative post specifically designed for people who need a supplement review that consist of more than "I liked it" lol

Today I'll review a few supplements:

Gelatin
Rainbow Light Whole Food Organic Supplements
Silica

[please note I'll be doing a length check this summer so we can see whether or not Gelatin helped in length, for now since my hair will not be straightened until then I'll be focusing on thickness]

In this post I will highlight Gelatin because I think gelatin is the "underdog" of supplement powerhouses like msm, biotin, and silica.

Gelatin

If you're already tired of reading this post lol... here are the said benefits of gelatin in a nut shell:
-Thickens the diameter of strands
-Increases resilience of hair shaft
-Aids in weight loss (if taken at night on an empty stomach)
-applying topically can also instantly thicken hair

Attributes:
-It is a protein derived from either animal or plant sources
-Odorless, Flavorless, No side-effects on record
If not we can dive in a bit further here:

In a clinical study conducted by dermapam:
[participants] showed an increase of hair mass from 20 to 30% (p<0.005) together with a contemporary increase of hair number (from 17 to 27%) (p<0.005) compared to the placebo for subject using the lotion only. With the diet supplement a further increase of 50% (p<0.005) in hair growth and significant decrease of blood ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species) were obtained.

en.dermapam.com

Other clinical statistical studies have indicated that gelatine promotes hair growth and it is well known that gelatine is substantive to hair and has many beneficial effects in that it has an antistatic effect, hair strengthening effect and improves hair gloss and repairs the damage caused by permanent-waving when incorporated at the level of about 0.5 % in shampoos and conditioners.

http://www.houseofnutrition.com/gelatin.html

My Experience:

What I took:
-I take this particular Gelatin (partly because it's not derived from animals
-I took 2 instead of the recommend "3" per day
-I'm fairly consistent, I'd give myself an 8/10
-In conjunction with rainbow Light and Silica

Here is the brand I used:

How long?:
-Bout 2 months

A little about me:
-Hair type: 4a ish
-Highlighted about 1 years ago
-Relatively thick strands
-Low Density :/ this can be particularly challenging...
-Currently on a no-heat challenge with you tuber SistaWithRealHair (driven' me nuts but it will be worth it lol)
-My strategy has been blowdrying my hair on cool/cold setting (this has changed the game for me, if requested I'll give more details)
-wash and deep condition once per week
-Fave oils: argan oil, safflower oil

Did I see Results? Yes!:
-Thicker Hair
-More Resilient Hair (I can get away with more foolishness :p)
-Stronger Nails (my nails have been long since I was young, but I had a couple trouble nails that would break often...those are now ridiculously long)
-Less shedding
-Less breakage

Things I didn't see:
-It may be too soon to tell, but I didn't notice any super-fast hair growth
-Didn't see scalp improvement

Rainbow Light Review in a nut shell:
-Gives me lots of energy
-Compexion seems to be improving
-Feel better when I take these and they're more cost-friendly that my usual Vitamin Code

Silica Review in a nut shell:
-Makes my hair soft (almost too soft) lol
-Skin feels softer

If I can...I'll try and put a poll in here to see how many people have ever taken Gelatin

Please leave your questions, comments or contributions! :yep:

Attachments

• FR0026.jpg
    FR0026.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

Thanks for the feedback. I have some and have been meaning to use them, but haven't due to laziness. I want thicker strands, so I def. plan to utilize them after this review :).

genesislocks

Thanks for the feedback. I have some and have been meaning to use them, but haven't due to laziness. I want thicker strands, so I def. plan to utilize them after this review :).

Really? Kool! Let me know if they work out for you. Btw your hair is really pretty and shiny, it looks extra long too! What's your secret? lol

hair4today

Thanks OP very informative post. I just started taking gelatin 2 weeks ago so it's too early to tell if its having an impact on my hair as yet. I can attest to increased strength and growth of my nails. Looking forward to the same with my hair.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Thanks for this review genesislocks I've never considered gelatin before but I have fine strands so I'm interested in what will make them thicker and more resilient. Will look into this some more.

When I first found LHCF I used Silica and it made my nails stronger then I stopped and opted for a HSN.

cynd

I actually bought/used this same brand OP. I have extremely fine, lo-density hair and although I saw a difference in the thickness of my nails, I don't recall much progress in terms of length or thickness to my hair but I didn't finish the bottle. May have to revisit. Thanks for the review.

EnExitStageLeft

genesislocks

Looks who's talkin' miss ultra silky smooth press avatar lady:lol:.....Thank you so much for the sweet compliments though:) and girl I wish I had a secret :(. I need to up my ante and stay consistent with a growth aid (orally and topically). But like I mentioned before, I can get a bit hair lazy from time to time lol.

RngdeCurls

Oh that's cool! I've always been told that gelatin is derived from pig and since I don't eat pork, I've never been interested in trying it. I think I might have to look into that brand though. Great post!

nrock

Thanks for the info on taking at night on an empty stomach. I was taking first thing in the morning.

BonBon

You look so pretty and I love your highlights.

My hair is fine as hell. Might have to try this.

My Friend

Since the gelatin protein works internally and on new growth, you may need to take it from 6 months to a year to see a noticeable difference.