All the ladies who are thinking about quitting MTG because of the smell...

Starian

...please reconsider. Let me tell you what I did as an experiment.

I went to GNC today and picked up some lavender essential oil and peppermint essential oil; 7.99 and 4.99 respectively.

I shook up some MTG and poured some into a 4 oz. applicator bottle. I applied 30 drops of peppermint oil and 30 drops of lavender oil.

The smell is almost indetectable. Like 98.2% indetectable. Now I never had a problem with the smell of MTG in the first place; I never minded the smell. It smells like Sulfur 8 to me, not nauseating at all. *shrug* But it definately helps that I can use MTG again without people detecting the sulfur smell. :trampolin :yep:

Not only does the MTG smell--dare I say it--good now, :lol: the peppermint gives my scalp a refreshing tingle;very stimulating.

Just wanted to put it out there that you don't have to suffer with the smell. To my knowledge, the essential oils aren't daminging to your health so I don't see why you can't experiment with adding more oil until you get the desired smell(someone can clarify if they know more about the subject than me), but 30 drops a piece should be enough.

If you really want the benefits of the MTG, there are options ladies. I'll personally be starting MTG back up, except every other week instead of daily.

czyfaith77

Starian said:
...please reconsider. Let me tell you what I did as an experiment.

I went to GNC today and picked up some lavender essential oil and peppermint essential oil; 7.99 and 4.99 respectively.

I shook up some MTG and poured some into a 4 oz. applicator bottle. I applied 30 drops of peppermint oil and 30 drops of lavender oil.

The smell is almost indetectable. Like 98.2% indetectable. Now I never had a problem with the smell of MTG in the first place; I never minded the smell. It smells like Sulfur 8 to me, not nauseating at all. *shrug* But it definately helps that I can use MTG again without people detecting the sulfur smell. :trampolin :yep:

Not only does the MTG smell--dare I say it--good now, :lol: the peppermint gives my scalp a refreshing tingle;very stimulating.

Just wanted to put it out there that you don't have to suffer with the smell. To my knowledge, the essential oils aren't daminging to your health so I don't see why you can't experiment with adding more oil until you get the desired smell(someone can clarify if they know more about the subject than me), but 30 drops a piece should be enough.

If you really want the benefits of the MTG, there are options ladies. I'll personally be starting MTG back up, except every other week instead of daily.

Thanks Starian,
I have been using it and I am pleased with the results. I have heard of several recipes but I think I will try this one. I am about 2 inches from a little goal that I have for myself. And I am in the middle of transitioning (something I would have never considered but am enjoying the benefits such as volume and add'l body). The MTG is really doing it's thing. I used my maxiglide for the first time in a while ( I has been keeping my hair cornrowed and wearing a wig while using the MTG). My ends look good due to maintaning moisture and limited manipulation. Again thanks! I have been wanting to add peppermint oil to my hair regimen. :)

SparklingFlame

Hi Star! I tried your recipe before but it didnt work for me. My MTG just smelled like bacon with peppermint and lavender! :lachen: I'm glad it worked out for you though. Maybe my nose is to receptive or something.

Cooyah

i'm going to make my own MTG alterative,

I purchased some sublimed sulfur from the pharmacy ($3.99) and i'll be mixing it with some castor oil, which you can also get from the pharmacy or walmart, some black castor oil and a little lavender oil

rai

Cooyah said:
i'm going to make my own MTG alterative,

I purchased some sublimed sulfur from the pharmacy ($3.99) and i'll be mixing it with some castor oil, which you can also get from the pharmacy or walmart, some black castor oil and a little lavender oil

I'm doing the same. I actually going to use it tonight. I have my sulfur, and I added some castor oil and coconut oil. Which pharmacy did you buy the sulfur from (and what city/state) are you in? I went to Walgreens and a couple of supermarket but none of them had sulfur powder so I ordered it online.

Thanks Starian-I'll Give That One A Whirl...I Tried MTG For The First Time This Weekend W/ Only Peppermint Though.Maybe The Lavendar Will Help Kill The Rest Of The Smell:confused:

czyfaith77

rai said:
I'm doing the same. I actually going to use it tonight. I have my sulfur, and I added some castor oil and coconut oil. Which pharmacy did you buy the sulfur from (and what city/state) are you in? I went to Walgreens and a couple of supermarket but none of them had sulfur powder so I ordered it online.

Which pharmacy because I can't find it

Cooyah

rai said:

i'm in south carolina, i picked up my sulfur from a local pharmacy on the island and it's made by Humco, they also make the little bottles of castor oil from walmart. see if you can find a local pharmacy that would carry it and if all else fails, you know ebay has you covered