Aloe vera gel for detangling/curl definition

scarcity21

doesnt AVG have protein? my hair is so protein sensitive and wheneva I use Aloe vera juice( from the health food store that needs to be refrigerated after opening) it makes my hair hard....what do u ladies think?

Crown

FOTE 100% aloe vera gel, ingredients :
Aloe vera gel, triethanolamine, tocopherylacetate, carbomer 940, tetrasodium edta, DMDM Hydanton, Diazolidinylurea. Not 100% aloe vera gel at all!
Difficult to have it at 100% unless you use the plant.
No plant, then it's better to use the drinkable one (health food store), not 100% because of preservatives but 99% but with more aloe vera gel than fruit of the earth. Or use the Lily of the desert brand.
Watch out if your hair is protein sensitive!

chosen07

FOTE 100% aloe vera gel, ingredients :
Aloe vera gel, triethanolamine, tocopherylacetate, carbomer 940, tetrasodium edta, DMDM Hydanton, Diazolidinylurea. Not 100% aloe vera gel at all!
Difficult to have it at 100% unless you use the plant.
No plant, then it's better to use the drinkable one (health food store), not 100% because of preservatives but 99% but with more aloe vera gel than fruit of the earth. Or use the Lily of the desert brand.
Watch out if your hair is protein sensitive!

so if I'm using mega-tek, I may want to stay away from AVG right now? i just bought some Lily of the Desert and trying to figure out how best to use...

Last edited:

SherryLove

and that is why I never use aloe vera gel alone. Instead, I use aubrey organics (AO) conditioners and Longhairlovers Luxe leave-in treatment which contain a good amount of aloe vera and detangle my hair very well.... I find it works better with it is mixed with other emollients and oils.....smile........

Aggie

doesnt AVG have protein? my hair is so protein sensitive and wheneva I use Aloe vera juice( from the health food store that needs to be refrigerated after opening) it makes my hair hard....what do u ladies think?

Yes I believe it is. The rastafarians here use the raw gelly from the plant on their hair and it makes their hair very strong and grows them really fast in my opinion. I think it's time for me to purchase some of the raw plant and grow a garden of it to save me some money and I also think the raw plant is better anyway.

Lucky's Mom

Alright ladies, I intended to post this over the weekend, but I couldn't get my LHCF fix. :(

I had a WONDERFUL hairperience with aloe vera gel as a leave-in/detangler/curl definer. I pooed/DCed on Saturday evening, and the first thing I applied to my soaking wet hair was aloe vera gel (AVG from here on out). Detangling seemed even easier than it has been, and the shine was nice too. So I proceeded to add the other leave-in and combed through. I did a braid-out-esque style, and the definition was out of this world! Every mountain and valley was defined...no frizz, lots of shine.

I looked for a thread on this, but didn't find one that mentioned using AVG in this capacity. A couple of ladies mentioned AVG but no one seemed to get the same results I did. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had these results using it on wet hair. I've used it before on wet & dry hair, but I wasn't doing a textured style so I don't guess I realized how un-frizzy the AVG made it.

The brand I used was Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly w/ Certified Organic Aloe Vera (courtesy of Whole Foods Market $3.99/4 oz.).

Anyhoo, just wanted to share... :look:

Such a great way to detangle....

tapioca_pudding

How could that be so when the bottle say 100% and doesn't list any other ingredients. Do they not have to be listed on the botle?
The bottle says - Aloe Vera 100% GEL.

Not 100% Aloe Vera Gel.

Big difference. :(

chosen07

Yes I believe it is. The rastafarians here use the raw gelly from the plant on their hair and it makes their hair very strong and grows them really fast in my opinion. I think it's time for me to purchase some of the raw plant and grow a garden of it to save me some money and I also think the raw plant is better anyway.

oohhh so its the protein that helps with their growth/strength.
the only thing with raw aloe is it changes the hair color...especially mixed with the sun.(my dad is a rasta and his hair is not a dirty reddish-brown color)

Whimsy

OOOOOooooohhh thanks for posting. I'm a braidout maniac so I'll love to see how this works!

lilsparkle825

BUMPING! I bought some of this months and months ago, the Lily of the Desert kind, and just rediscovered it for my skin AND hair. I bought some Ecostyler trying to be more economical, but it has absolutely nothing on this stuff. My hair is shiny, never hard, and my WNGs have a little extra hang to them when I use this.

Aggie

BUMPING! I bought some of this months and months ago, the Lily of the Desert kind, and just rediscovered it for my skin AND hair. I bought some Ecostyler trying to be more economical, but it has absolutely nothing on this stuff. My hair is shiny, never hard, and my WNGs have a little extra hang to them when I use this.

Thanks for the idea lilsparkle.