How Anemia affected my hair

When my sister iron drops, her hair sheds like a wild dog in heat:eek: . As far as pale skin when my iron is low, I'm the identical twin of a loose leaf white sheet of paper..:lachen: But my doctor gave me two good signs to check my iron before blood test.. I check my nail beds if they are not as pink or red then usually my iron is low. Also looking at the inside of your bottom eye lid.If it is pale and pinky in color usually that means my iron is low. These key signs usually help me alot..:D

Last edited:

mzhotniz86

Yes ,this is definitely true. i just recently found out about my anemia and my hair has been doing better since ive taken my gentle iron. i missed the last couple of days though cause i havent been eating right. but be xtra careful for that time of the month 2

Isis

Demetrius Roberts said:
I am new here but i just wanted to give some imput on amenia and how it affected my hair. In 2005 after trying to get preggers, I found that my iron was critical low. I mean near death low..:eek: My doctor set me up to get a progesterone test..A test to see if you actually ovulate..Well after about two hours I get a panick call from my gyno's nurse telling me to come in immediately so that I can get my iron retested.. I went in and did so..It came back 2.9 which is death low.(normal is above 14) This was from having heavy menstruals..But on to how it affected my hair..Me and my beautican started to notice after babying my hair that i would get these recurrent broken pieces on the lest side of my hair line.. :eek: This was all before I knew my iron was low..It would grow back and then break off again..I was getting so frustrtated:mad:.. I was taking really good care of my hair..My hair was ok but it was nothing compared to now.. i wanted to chop it all off, but my beautican didn't think it was that bad..I did beacuse I wanted all my hair to be healthy;) . So ladies if u are haveing reccurent broken piece check your iron levels..Cause anemia can wreck havoc on your hair and the rate at which it grows... I am popping my iron tablets like skittles:lachen: .My hair has improved drastically and the rate it grows it great also.. i just wanted to give my story maybe it can help someone else with the same problem..
:lol: @ popping iron like skittles!

BTW, ladies please don't take iron like this unless prescribed by your doctor--it is toxic if your body doesn't need it.

Thanks for sharing your story,Demetrius Roberts. Something like this happened to me also in the past and it was my hair breakage (severe) that led me to the doctor. He immediately tested my blood and told me I was very much anemic. The iron supplements (which should always be taken with vitamin C for the body to absorb it) stopped the breakage almost right away.

Last edited:

brandy

Welcome to the boards!!
I know what anaemia could do to ones hair I experienced it after my son's birth. It could be reall nasty.
It appears I have almost recovered from the nasty effects of anaemia. Look at my avatar, that's my hair after a relaxer on the 14th of May 2007.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I have always battled with anemia off and on, especially as a vegetarian. I will consider taking iron. The only thing is that iron makes me dreadfully constipated. I know...TMI, but it's the truth. If I could avoid the constipation, I'll be much happier. I'm thrilled that you have overcome this problem and that your hair is doing much better. :kiss:

I take the slow fe iron...If you add more fiber in your diet it will help with the constipation that comes along with taking iron supplements. :grin: I take metamucil...I add it to my water 3 times a day..You also have to make sure you drink plenty of water to flush your system.:look:

gn1g

Demetrius Roberts said:
When my sister iron drops, her hair sheds like a wild dog in heat:eek: . As far as pale skin when my iron is low, I'm the identical twin of a loose leaf white sheet of paper..:lachen: But my doctor gave me two good signs to check my iron before blood test.. I check my nail beds if they are not as pink or red then usually my iron is low. Also looking at the inside of your bottom eye lid.If it is pale and pinky in color usually that means my iron is low. These key signs usually help me alot..:D

Thanks DR, learn something new everyday around here.

remnant

I really enjoyed this thread my hair growth got slower the last past months and my physician found out that I have anemia after blood test, and now I'm on iron tablets and yes and I am popping my iron tablets like skittles too:lachen:

yodie

thanks for posting. my iron is normally always low.

now i'll make sure that I pop an iron pill everyday.

starfish79

:lol: @ popping iron like skittles!

BTW, ladies please don't take iron like this unless prescribed by your doctor--it is toxic if your body doesn't need it.

Thanks for sharing your story,Demetrius Roberts. Something like this happened to me also in the past and it was my hair breakage (severe) that led me to the doctor. He immediately tested my blood and told me I was very much anemic. The iron supplements (which should always be taken with vitamin C for the body to absorb it) stopped the breakage almost right away.

This is very true ladies iron overload can damage the heart, liver and other organs. I do Hem/Onc research and one of my studies is actually about iron overload so I see the effects of this daily. Please make sure that you are under the care of a physician and that your iron levels are being monitored while taking the supplement.

AvaSpeaks

Exactly! Exactly! Exactly! I mean I know we all want long hair, that's the goal but anemia situation can become extremely serious.

When you have anemia, the doctor will determine WHAT is causing the anemia. Then they will tell you what you need to do. Just because you are anemic does not mean that Iron is going to be the solution.

Just an update on my iron situation..my levels are at a 9.3 right now..I am having a myomectomy to remove a large fibroid on December 28th... I also don't recommend that people take iron supplement just b-cuz..:spinning: But it should be discussed with a physican.. But getting my iron levels up and healthy hair care practices, my hair is doing a heck of alot better..:grin: But anemia was the culprit for my hair not doing so well..:wallbash:

AvaSpeaks

Just an update on my iron situation..my levels are at a 9.3 right now..I am having a myomectomy to remove a large fibroid on December 28th... I also don't recommend that people take iron supplement just b-cuz..:spinning: But it should be discussed with a physican.. But getting my iron levels up and healthy hair care practices, my hair is doing a heck of alot better..:grin: But anemia was the culprit for my hair not doing so well..:wallbash:

Demetruis, sorry about the surgery.

Which Iron were you prescribed? Iron Sulfate or Ferrous Fumarate?

caribeandiva

Human being
i've been anemic as far as i can remember. I haven't taken any iron in over 2 years. I need to start taking them again cause my levels must be low. i don't know how low. I was always wondering how come my hair's the slowest growing of my family. Thanks for posting this!

puddin

Thank you so much for sharing I just started back taking my iron pills too... i went to 2 dermatologist b/c I kept losing my hair...finally i realized my iron was the culprit.

Isis

I wish you much success on your surgery. :)

AvaSpeaks

Lots of things can affect extreme slow hair growth like thyroid problems.

Also taking Iron can interfere with other vitamins or medications you may be taking. And you should only have like 18 mg a day.

The anemia has affected my hair growth and my heart :nono: I might need a heart procedure done in the next few months. That's why I am very cautious about popping anything in my body for the sake of long hair. :badidea:

Evolving78

I'm anemic as well and I have iron pills that I'm going to start back taking right now and I need to get some more prenatal vitamins since my hormones are out of wack after having my baby. Also I have heavy periods so that hurts my iron levels as well.(I sometimes, it's like a murder scene!) My hair has being growing ok, but it could be better if I step up the iron levels. I don't need to do it just for my hair though!LOL!

Last edited:

mrsbookworm

Thank you so much for this post. I had my baby about 8 months ago and found out during the pregnancy that I was slightly anemic. Around the same time, my stylist alerted me that my hair was breaking in the back. Following the pregnancy, I was lazy and did not take my iron supplement like I should. The hair kept breaking and I ended up getting a haircut. Your email opened my eyes to a possible reason. This makes sense now. I guess we all need to remember that it takes total body health to get a healthy head of hair.

hrtbndr21

Just wishing you good luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery. :yep:

AvaSpeaks

But again, which Iron are you ladies taking? That was prescribed your doctor?

Ferrous Fumarate

or

Iron Sulfate

Nobody answered that :attention:

tbaby_8

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!:yay: This explains alot. My mom's hair has been breaking off something awful and I have been giving her treatments and everything. Her iron was lower than yours. She is now on iron medication and doing better health wise, but her hair is still suffering a little. I am going to begin working on that again. Thanks for the information.:grin:

balisi

:confused:

I disagree. Breaking and shedding are caused by different reasons. It is VERY important to know which or if both are happening otherwise she won't be able to get a handle on it thus waisting her time/money and probably raising her frustration level.

ITA!!! :yep:

tylertown

I've been told to avoid iron pills if you can.

Once by a phlabotomist(sp). The other by ...um I forgot. But does anyone know why?

Esq.2B

I've been told to avoid iron pills if you can.

Once by a phlabotomist(sp). The other by ...um I forgot. But does anyone know why?

Excessive iron can be toxic, because free ferrous iron reacts with peroxides to produce free radicals, which are highly reactive and can damage DNA, proteins, lipids, and other cellular components. Thus, iron toxicity occurs when there is free iron in the cell, which generally occurs when iron levels exceed the capacity of transferrin to bind the iron.
Iron uptake is tightly regulated by the human body, which has no physiological means of excreting iron, so controls iron levels solely by regulating uptake. Although uptake is regulated, large amounts of ingested iron can cause excessive levels of iron in the blood, because high iron levels can cause damage to the cells of the gastrointestinal tract that prevents them from regulating iron absorption. High blood concentrations of iron damage cells in the heart, liver and elsewhere, which can cause serious problems, including long-term organ damage and even death.
Humans experience iron toxicity above 20 milligrams of iron for every kilogram of mass, and 60 milligrams per kilogram is a lethal dose.[15] Over-consumption of iron, often the result of children eating large quantities of ferrous sulfate tablets intended for adult consumption, is one of the most common toxicological causes of death in children under six.[15] The DRI lists the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for adults as 45 mg/day. For children under fourteen years old the UL is 40 mg/day.
Regulation of iron uptake is impaired in some people as a result of a genetic defect that maps to the HLA-H gene region on chromosome 6. In these people, excessive iron intake can result in iron overload disorders, such as hemochromatosis. Many people have a genetic susceptibility to iron overload without realizing it or being aware of a family history of the problem. For this reason, it is advised that people should not take iron supplements unless they suffer from iron deficiency and have consulted a doctor. Hemochromatosis is estimated to cause disease in between 0.3 and 0.8% of Caucasians. [16]
The medical management of iron toxicity is complex, and can include use of a specific chelating agent called deferoxamine to bind and expel excess iron from the body.

The above info is from wikipedia.

Basically, too much iron can be fatal.

A lot of multi-vitamins have a disclaimer on the labels about the overdose of iron containing products.

*Muffin*

I can sympathize with you. I have a form of anemia where my red blood cells are abnormally small in size, which makes it harder for them to carry nutrients and oxygen to the places that need it. When I don't take vitamins I feel sluggish and like I can't think properly. It probably affected my hair health as well. But now that I take my vitamins I feel all right, and my hair feels a lot stronger, too.

mochatrini

I am also anemic one of my last visits to the doctor he asked me if I ever pass out because my iron levels were so dangerously low and even when I had surgery over the summer they told me that there was a chance that I might have needed a transfusion because my blood count was so low......Well ever since I have been diligently taking my iron because I realized that the deficiency was affecting everything including my fine strands of hair. Today I feel alot different and I think even my hair is beginning to take notice :grin: I have decided an "overall better my health personal challenge" because I know when I take care of myself better my HAIR will benefit overall !!!!!!