ANOTHER Henna Question! How to apply?

PaperClip

I know there are LOTS of henna threads, but please bear with me, ok?

Ok, once the mixture is ready to apply, what's the best way to apply it and work it through the hair? How to get the henna down to the roots and throughout the strands most effectively?

Thanks in advance

keluric

You can apply it any way you'd like.. just make sure to work it through to the ends. Some people have likened it to applying a relaxer and smoothing, I think.

JLove74

RelaxerRehab said:
I know there are LOTS of henna threads, but please bear with me, ok?

Ok, once the mixture is ready to apply, what's the best way to apply it and work it through the hair? How to get the henna down to the roots and throughout the strands most effectively?

Thanks in advance

I apply as if I'm applying a relaxer in the worst way:lol: :lol: . Section your hair, secure areas you aren't working with, part your hair and apply from root to tip. I use an applicator brush and then work through with my fingers when I'm finished applying...

PaperClip

Ok... so basically I've been doing what you all have been saying.... I've only done two treatments so far.... Still on a learning curve.

Thanks!

melodee

I would suggest using a color/relaxer application brush to get to the roots. After getting the roots done, pull the henna through the entire length--kinda like with a relaxer.

The brush keeeps the henna from glopping onto your skin.

PaperClip

melodee said:
I would suggest using a color/relaxer application brush to get to the roots. After getting the roots done, pull the henna through the entire length--kinda like with a relaxer.

The brush keeeps the henna from glopping onto your skin.

Ok... what does this brush look like? I don't think I've seen one before....

thesweetone

I mix mine up in a big bowl and then pour it into an applicator bottle (using a funnel). Then I section the hair (like when greasing scalp or applying relaxer) and apply it to the roots then ends.

I like the applicator bottle because it really makes it easy to apply and I get no mess this way. My mixture is really thick so I actually had to cut the tip on my applicator bottle so that it would flow through. The original opening was too narrow.

keluric

A brush seems like a good idea but I always use my gloved hands. I always add cholesterol or something like that to my henna mixture to make it thick so it doesn't go all over the place.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I pour the mix into two ketchup dispensers similar to this, and squirt it on my hair with gloves on:

I bought cheap dispensers, so I used a file on the edges of the spout and cover to make sure my hair wouldn't snag. I also store the leftovers in it if it's not that much.

aileendq

thesweetone said:
I mix mine up in a big bowl and then pour it into an applicator bottle (using a funnel). Then I section the hair (like when greasing scalp or applying relaxer) and apply it to the roots then ends.

I like the applicator bottle because it really makes it easy to apply and I get no mess this way. My mixture is really thick so I actually had to cut the tip on my applicator bottle so that it would flow through. The original opening was too narrow.

I'm with you on this one. The 1st time I hennaed I used an applicator brush and it got EVERYWHERE. This time I ground the henna (it comes in bar form) into a 3cup glass measuring cup, added hot water to make it a runny cond. consistency, then I nuked it for 1 minute (the package said not to microwave, but I did it anyway, just on 1/2 power. That double boiler business is too messy. Then I mixed it with cond and poured it into the applicator bottle. Almost no mess at all.

Question, though, are you reusing the bottle? TY

thesweetone

aileendq said:
Question, though, are you reusing the bottle? TY

Yep. Just rinse and re-use. I actually have a few applicator bottles, so I make a big batch and pour enough for one application in each bottle then I put them in the freezer. This saves a lot of time since I don't need to mix each time I want to do a treatment, just de-frost and go.

I've actually cut down on my henna usage. At first I was doing it every week, then I read Mizani Mrs thread about her relaxer not taking as well as it usually does and I got scared. So I've cut back to once per month, trying to avoid the roots as much as possible during the month before my relaxer.

I think that the fact that Henna seals the cuticle so well that it may prevent the relaxer from penetrating like it normally does is a good thing for overlapping. It provides some protection against overlapping on previously relaxed ends, but I need my roots to get as straight as possible.

godzooki

I've tried the applicator brush twice and both times gave up and used my gloved hands. Went much faster and I felt I was not missing any areas like I did with the brush. Next time I might try the nozzled bottle method with the tip cut larger and use my hands to pull it thru.