How do you apply henna

alishadawnelle

I already got the mix ready but I have no idea what to do...

Do I apply henna then shampoo it out?
Or Do I shampoo my hair first so it's clean?

HELP!!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Here's what I do:

CoWash hair *because henna can be uber drying*
Apply Henna Mixture (with gloves...will stain hands)
Wrap in Saran Wrap
Leave on about 3 hours
Rinse with clear water 1st and then Rinse with Suave Coconut, VO5 Moisture Milks etc...

Then I:
Deep Condition

Seraphina

I've left it on overnight before. It's not a problem but there's no particular benefit leaving it on for more than a few hours.

I usually just apply it on dry hair with gloves and put on a plastic cap. Then rinse out with lots of conditioner.

demlew

The length of time you leave it on will depend on what you'd like to accomplish. If you're using henna for conditioning purposes only, then 2-3 hours should do it. The longer you leave it in, the more likely you'll get the coloring aspect of henna. I sometimes sleep in mine when I'm feeling lazy and/or I'm looking for dye release but I didn't let the mixture sit for a few hours before I applied it. I usually shampoo, then apply my henna. I tried it on dry hair, but the results weren't as good as the other way.

Last edited:

lettieg27

Sorry to hijack your thread but should u detangled your hair before u put henna in or can u do it later on after you've rinsed the treatment out.

demlew

Sorry to hijack your thread but should u detangled your hair before u put henna in or can u do it later on after you've rinsed the treatment out.

You definitely want to make sure your hair is detangled beforehand. It will ensure even application. Plus, henna is very drying so it's not good to manipulate your hair too much until after you've rinsed the henna and also completed your deep conditioning.

zenith

You can shampoo your hair tonight.

Apply some oil on it. and detangle inot sections.

Then tomorrow, you can apply the henna, keep it for 3 hours, rinse and DC.

bride91501

I pre-poo for 3-8 hours, clarify, condition with VO5 MM (leave this on for 10-15 minutes while I detangle), rinse, then apply the henna mix. My hair needs to be soft and completely detangled before I henna. I learned this the hard way during my first application.

I wrap my head in saran wrap and leave my henna on for about 8 hours. I henna'd last night & b/c I ran out of time, I slept in it overnight. Didn't notice any difference.

And btw- I haven't gotten any significant color change from henna'ing. *Maybe* some very faint red highlights that can only be seen in very bright, natural light. And only by my DH...apparently he has super-vision, cuz no one else in my life sees them :lachen:

Angelicus

I have a simple regimen.

I have henna applied to dry hair. The Karishma Henna is mixed with black tea and sits overnight before applying. I leave it on for one hour before rinsing out with LaBomba Deep Conditioner.

Very easy. Very effective.

Shadiyah

I take my henna and mix it with warm water and a little lemon juice and let it sit over night and then apply it put plastic cap and tie it with silk scarf for overnight. I wash it out with conditioners.

janda

This is going to be a learning experience.

Soo, how did you decide to proceed. What I ended up doing:

Mixed the henna with lemon juice last night. This evening I washed and airdried my hair. Then I mixed the henna with amla and then indigo (about half and half). I applied it, saran wrapped my head and let it sit for about 4 hours. I conditioner washed it out and then DCed with Bee Mine. Looks like the grey at the front of my head that was driving me crazy is covered and my hair feels good. We'll see how it looks tomorrow after it dries.

alishadawnelle

So here's the plan:
Im pre pooing now, Then I'm going to do a regular was and detangle and condition because my hair is do for a good wash.
I mixed my henna earlier w/a scoop of hibiscus powder, EVOO, and egg and black tea.

I'm going to sleep on it then DC in the morning... I'll be sure to let you guys know how is works out.

Wish me luck
-------
Ok so I wrote this before I went into the shower and for got to post...
I've already got a list of things I need to change next time
#1 wear an old t-shirt during application
#2 separate my hair as I apply the henna, kinda like a relaxer

ART11

I wouldn't have put that egg in there to leave for overnight - sounds like a head full of salmonella since u have to leave it in a warm place :( It's topical though, you aren't eating it but I am very careful with raw eggs.

alishadawnelle

I wouldn't have put that egg in there to leave for overnight - sounds like a head full of salmonella since u have to leave it in a warm place :( It's topical though, you aren't eating it but I am very careful with raw eggs.

That makes since... but too late to tell now.
Im hoping for salonella free hair thought

Today I applied it on dry hair and let it sit for six and a half hours (I want the color and conditioning). I rinse it with cheapie condish 4-5 times. Afterwards, I apply a moisturizing dc for one hour without heat, rinse, moisturize, seal, and air dry in braids.

Nova

I apply henna to freshly washed, damp hair. Wrap in siran wrap and plastic cap for approx. 4 to 12/hrs. (trying to get that reddish color - doesn't work). Rinse out thoroughly and finish rinsing with VO5 conditioner (the cheapie ones) until water is clear. DC with a combination of conditioners and oils for approx. 30-mins to 1-hr under heating cap. Rinse out and finish with a cold-water ACV rinse.

reeko43

Paying close attention to this thread. Can't wait til you post your results op. I actually got my henna samples yesterday from Mehandi. Put lemon juice in it last night and let sit for color release. Slept in pre poo of whipped shea butter that I mixed yesterday. Will wash and apply my samples today. I hope it works cause if so I will be be doing my complet henna as soom as I order and receive full product. I am hoping you have great results!

alishadawnelle

So this did not go well. It didn't go bad, I'm just not sure what the big deal is.
My hair does not feel any different.
It's not overly dry, or dry at all really...
And no color :(. Super disappointed

ART11

Sometimes when you get that stuff, it isn't very good. It could have been on the shelf for ages. I'm glad your experience wasn't horrible but I'm sorry it was not as good as your hoped. Go here: Henna for Hair and read some of the good info they have. They are a very good source for PURE, fresh henna and they give instructions to the letter about how to mix and apply and things that hinder your process.

Here is a great free e-book on the process:

Henna for Hair

They even have pics of what the color looks like on our hair types. You should mix the henna with something acidic (lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, etc) to obtain dye release. I use OJ. I know folks add other stuff in there but I never have. I just use the pure henna and the OJ. Anything else, oil, eggs, you can do AFTER in the conditioning process. That's just my opinion. Others swear by it but I am going for color (first), conditioning (second) and those things (although they are conditioning), do not help achieve max dye release.

I did a fresh one a few days ago and if I get the energy to do my Diva Smooth before this stuff grows out, I will put a few pics in my blog. I go for gray coverage - not redness and use both henna and indigo. Don't be afraid to try it again.

janda

So this did not go well. It didn't go bad, I'm just not sure what the big deal is.
My hair does not feel any different.
It's not overly dry, or dry at all really...
And no color :(. Super disappointed

Sorry you were disappointed. Follow ART11's advice and download the free ebook on hennaforhair. I followed the instructions from there since I got sooo confused reading the henna threads. I think those henna threads will make more sense as I gain more experience with henna. I used about half and half henna and indigo with some amla added and actually got some gray coverage. My hair also looks darker as it was sort of a medium brown color to start with. If you hair is already dark, you probably wouldn't see much if any change in color from the henna since it does not lighten hair. In terms of how my hair feels, I also don't feel much of a difference but I believe the effects of henna are cumulative not instantaneous.

demlew

That's an awesome link!

Now how long should I wait to dry this again?

Sometimes your color will continue to change 2-3 days after your treatment. I've started out with a dark red tint from Nupur, but it's almost chocolate days later. There are some ladies who do weekly treatments, but I'd say give it 2-3 weeks - only because it's new for your hair. You'll have time to really learn how your hair reacts to the "lite protein" aspect of henna, plus do a couple of deep conditioning treatments before your next application. If you happen to be interested in a red tint (can't remember if you mentioned it), Karishma is good for that. I have a pkg if you'll pay the shipping! Good luck with your next attempt!