Any 4a/4b ladies use kiddy perms?

luvmesumhair

If so, which ones do you use and do you use it for texlaxing? Does it get your hair really straight? Have your notice your hair getting healthier since using kiddy perms? Also, how long do you leave it in? The same as a regular perm?

I am thinking about using them if I get a lot of good responses. I would like to start texlaxing too after my stretch. Right now I am using ORS Olive Oil in Regular.

Thanks Ladies!

myco

luvmesumhair said:
If so, which ones do you use and do you use it for texlaxing? Does it get your hair really straight? Have your notice your hair getting healthier since using kiddy perms? Also, how long do you leave it in? The same as a regular perm?

I am thinking about using them if I get a lot of good responses. I would like to start texlaxing too after my stretch. Right now I am using ORS Olive Oil in Regular.

Thanks Ladies!

You'd probably have better results using the ORS Olive Oil in Mild, if you can find it. A kiddie perm is the same as an adult perm. It's just packaged to appeal to moms and their daughters and to make you think that it is gentler. I've used a couple over the years and the chemicals and results are the same as an adult relaxer.

luvmesumhair

myco said:
You'd probably have better results using the ORS Olive Oil in Mild, if you can find it. A kiddie perm is the same as an adult perm. It's just packaged to appeal to moms and their daughters and to make you think that it is gentler. I've used a couple over the years and the chemicals and results are the same as an adult relaxer.

I never saw ORS in mild. Only regular or extra strength.

So a kiddy perm is the same as an adult perm? Wow.:lol:

myco

luvmesumhair said:
I never saw ORS in mild. Only regular or extra strength.

So a kiddy perm is the same as an adult perm? Wow.:lol:

I haven't either. I considered using it for my last touch-up, but never saw it. I ended up using Silk Elements Lye in Mild.

"kiddie" perms are usually no-lye and they have gotten my hair straighter than any lye perm I have ever used - mild or regular.

kittenz

The last perm I used was a regular Dark and Lovely kiddie perm. I have thick 4a hair and it didn't completely straighten my hair (i'm not texurized- but I like it this way.) My hair still had body and wasn't completely slick to my big ol' head.

:ohwell: Kiddie perms seem to be weaker than regular strength ones, IMHO. "Adult" perms always leave my hair reallly straight and for much longer. I plan on usign the DL kiddie one again.

luvmesumhair

Thanks Myco and Kittenz for responding. I guess I will either stick with my ORS Olive Oil or look for a perm that states "Mild"

Thanks.

candiel

I'm a 4a and I use PCJ mild relaxer at home and it doesn't seem as strong as the adult perms to me. My stylist also used it when I dyed my hair a few years ago because he said it would cut down on any breakage. I find that my hair is less dry and has more body. I leave mine on for about 10 min. and then rinse, leaving my hair slightly texlaxed. I think if you leave it on for longer though, it could get your hair bone straight.

luvmesumhair

candiel said:
I'm a 4a and I use PCJ mild relaxer at home and it doesn't seem as strong as the adult perms to me. My stylist also used it when I dyed my hair a few years ago because he said it would cut down on any breakage. I find that my hair is less dry and has more body. I leave mine on for about 10 min. and then rinse, leaving my hair slightly texlaxed. I think if you leave it on for longer though, it could get your hair bone straight.

Thanks Candiel!

beana

candiel said:

Hey Candiel :waves:

i meant to ask you if the PCJ relaxer was lye or no-lye? TIA