Any Merit? Naptural85's New Hair Growth Theory

Neomorph

As someone who has eczema on their scalp, frequent washes are a must. I wash every 3-4 days and wear it in a high puff to keep the hair stretched.

My hair has not experienced any mushiness, and it's starting to reach the lengths I had as a child before the relaxers which was about BSB length. Conversely, when I had relaxers and got my hair washed every other week, my hair struggle to get to shoulder length, often breaking off and causing me to get a big cut every other year.The scalp eczema caused a lot of buildup and itching which caused scalp scratches (which made touch-ups oh so painful). My scalp needs to be cleared frequently (no less than once a week) otherwise my hair won't flourish.

Due to my experiences I think her theory has merits, but as others in this thread have said, it's nothing new or groundbreaking...

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Even though I am the queen of Fall hair setbacks, I know this method works. I have been washing my hair daily since mid January and I'm fairly certain I retained 95% + of my growth these past few months. I'm a fine hair, hi-po natural 4b. I keep my hair in some type of braid style to withstand the frequent washings. Even though my hair is technically not stretched, the braids allow my hair to not complete shrink and tangle on itself so my hair gets all the moisture it needs. I redo the braids once a month and finger detangle before to remove any shed hair.

It will be interesting to see her results because the learning curve for curlformers is pretty steep. I know she does a lot of rollersets with them, but she has a lot of hair and it takes a while for those things to dry.

HaveSomeWine

I grew my natural hair from no hair to about Bsl washing several times a week. I only stopped because I was starting to have really bad shedding and didn't want to exacerbate the problem by brushing out my hair so often.

I don't notice a difference in growth but that could be because I still rinse and massage my scalp daily. I prefer not doing the whole complete washing process as often. Granted it only takes me an hour from start to finish but that's less free time for myself. Also, I always wore wash and goes. I think actual styling so often would be bad for the hair. Her hair really isn't impressive to me anyway so I won't be jumping on any band wagons she does.

Last edited:

greenandchic

Because I'm having issues with excessive shedding (which thankfully I was able to treat), part of my scalp care is shampooing every 2-3 days with daily scalp massages. I must say that my breakage has diminished, my hair is softer and my hair isn't tangled, even the new growth. I also have much less shed hair. My new growth is much thicker but I'm also on high levels of biotin and using essential oils in my massages. My overall hair care is so much easier than before.

Honey Bee

Because I'm having issues with excessive shedding (which thankfully I was able to treat), part of my scalp care is shampooing every 2-3 days with daily scalp massages. I must say that my breakage has diminished, my hair is softer and my hair isn't tangled, even the new growth. I also have much less shed hair. My new growth is much thicker but I'm also on high levels of biotin and using essential oils in my massages. My overall hair care is so much easier than before.
That's what I meant, I shampoo twice a week. I'm not noticing an adverse effects and I did this all through my transition.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I have to agree with this being old hat. My hair was fantastic when I did this 3 day wash plus JBCO in between. I've gotten lazy but I guess I should get back into doing this.

I have fine hair but my hair was never dry with this method and grew like crazy.

WaistLengthDreams

I think I might be hopping on this bandwagon. When I first joined this site so many women were washing/cowashing/dcing multiple times a week and I didn't know why. It seemed a bit excessive so I just ignored it and washed once a week, but after reading this thread I get it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
She should just stick to what she did the first time. It worked right. Washing long curly lengths frequently is time consuming and too much manipulation. Shorter lengths yea but long and thick like hers no. I wish her success on her experiment though. It's crazy what dye can do to your hair. She always seemed to have that healthy thick resilient hair that could handle things like color.

Britt

That's what I meant, I shampoo twice a week. I'm not noticing an adverse effects and I did this all through my transition.
Same here mostly... Especially when I wore my hair slicked back. I washed about twice a week. It helped me deal with the two textures better.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Naptural85 is late, like waaaayyyy late :lachen:. There ain't a dang thang new about want she's planning to do. The concept of wash n'goes is based on re-wetting/washing your hair every few days, if not daily. There's a whole thread from that was started back in the day by a poster who noticed that all of her WL+ friends washed their hair daily. A couple of bunning and cowashing challenges sprung out of this and from other naturals doing the same thing years ago. And what is the coilyqueen method? If it's wetting your hair every few days, then it's just recycling the same old news under a new name :rolleyes:.

I did something similar to what Naptural85's planning a few years ago when I was trying to get to MBL. I was basing it off of what 1ballerina on youtube does, and she has butt length hair :drool:. Every 3-4 days I would cowash, set my hair in 12-16 twists, let them dry, then set the twistout in 3 braids. I did hot oil treatments with CO every week and clipped my hair up. I was super gentle with my hair, and oiled my ends every night before putting it in the 3 braids. My hair looked great and I had the most length retention ever!! That was what finally got me to MBL :yep:. Hmmm. . . Maybe I should go back to that :scratchchin:

I know this method can work because 1) your hair doesn't have the chance to get dry 2) your hair doesn't get the chance to get tangled, but you need to keep your manipulation low. Personally, I couldn't imagine rolling my hair twice a week, but if it's low mani for Naptural85, her hair will likely flourish.

ETA: Just watched a recent 1Ballerina video, and her hair is now to the top of her thighs and she can sit on it :dighole:!!! LOL!! She only washes her hair once a week.
I've noticed most of the long haired curlies on YouTube wash weekly. I've been so mad this summer because I've been having to do wng's more frequently due to humidity ruining my hair. I don't like to manipulate my hair so much, especially in its natural state.

Ogoma

My regimen is similar in that I co-wash every 3 days or so. I wash and go 99% of the time though. I'm curious to see how she is going to be curl forming and twisting and whatnot. My hair is fine and couldn't take that much manipulation.

I didn't know this was a thing. I run regularly and need to cowash mid week. I know a lot of people on here with similar regimens for basic hygiene and health reason so I am surprised people are surprised, and more surprised it is being attributed to women with straight and wavy hair. :lol:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I didn't know this was a thing. I run regularly and need to cowash mid week. I know a lot of people on here with similar regimens for basic hygiene and health reason so I am surprised people are surprised, and more surprised it is being attributed to women with straight and wavy hair. :lol:
When I BC'd I cowashed everyday. Now I wash once a week because I've learn how to stretch my wash n go for the whole week. I still wet it everyday though. It works for me.

beingofserenity

I love the idea of daily washing. My head stinks if I go like threeish days between cleanings. I love feeling clean from top to bottom and I love being fresh head to toe everyday.

And I love shampoo. I use gel everyday, so I feel like I need to get it off.

I tried cowashing and leaving conditioner in my hair once and it gave me bald spots. I believe in keeping the scalp clean. Just started really experimenting with this. I hope my hair grows faster.

leleepop

It worked for me when I did it. It's what I call Curly Girl. I finger detangled and wore nothing but wash and gos, pineappled, but what I didn't like was when I had to detangle for a flatiron(which I did occasionally at the time). I'm sure it will work for her because she knows her hair too.

Kookookiwi

I think the ladies who are acting surprised this is a thing aren't so much surprised as it would be a new thing for their hair regimen and Nap85. Nap85 was very big on protective styles as she grew her hair out, and I myself am in a protective style 99% of the time. In fact a lot of naturals, especially those with kinkier, finer textures like myself were taught and believe protective styling is the only route for retention of our hair type, texture, thickness, and density. I knew people washed their hair frequently, but from what I'd seen it was normally frequent washes were paired with WNGs (which are not viable for me and others). This was the first time I'd seen frequent washes paired with a lot of manipulation and twisting which is how I wear my hair the majority of the time. That was the surprising part for me and is the new part for Nap85.

Just wanted to clarify that because it seems like a lot of people think those of us who this is "new" for are ignorant of the fact that some people wash their hair more than weekly. This isn't to target you either Ogoma it's been mentioned a lot and you were just the most recent to do so.

Gryphyn

Daily cowashing is the only way I've been able to retain length. Protective styling just doesn't work for me. My hair just gets too dry if left in protective styles and ends up breaking. When I started cowashing daily I finally got to APL. I had a setback after that and had to transition again, now I'm almost at APL again after less than 2 years.

I cowash every night, then flat twist or Bantu knot for the night and wear a twist out or knot out the next day. I haven't had any setbacks from the daily manipulation, and I have fine hair. I had way more setbacks from protective styling.

overtherainbow

:lachen: If you're looking at the vid in the OP, I guess I could see why you might think that but that's her hair after a massive set-back, bleach-related... it was nasty. :nono:
Not gonna lie, I was devastated when I saw her dye job a while back. The color the stylist used initially did nothing for her at all and it only started to look nice after it faded. And it looks like she used unnecessary bleach :(. She could have done a better job on her own in her bathroom for $4.95.

Nazaneen

My other issue with this theory is attributing straight and wavy haired people's "faster hair growth" to the frequent washes. I cringed so hard at that part. I thought it was pretty well-accepted that the average person's hair grows at the same rate and many kinkier and tighter curled ladies issue i retention and not growth. Kinda makes the whole basis for the theory shaky to me.
right, whether you wash your hair once a week or once a mothn it will probably grow at the same rate.
if i go more than a week or so without washing because my scalp will be very troublesome. even after 3-4 days i start scratching and i have buildup.
i dont understand how people are going 2 +weeks w/out washing. maybe they just don't have much oil

when i was a little girl i was afraid of the water getting on my face and verrrrry long periods went by without my hair being washed. and my hair was still long and healthy :lol:

moneychaser

right, whether you wash your hair once a week or once a mothn it will probably grow at the same rate.
if i go more than a week or so without washing because my scalp will be very troublesome. even after 3-4 days i start scratching and i have buildup.
i dont understand how people are going 2 +weeks w/out washing. maybe they just don't have much oil

when i was a little girl i was afraid of the water getting on my face and verrrrry long periods went by without my hair being washed. and my hair was still long and healthy :lol:
It will grow the same, this method ensures retention. Dry hair breaks.

SelahOco

View attachment 332055
View attachment 332057
Haha, you ladies mentioning the Coily Queens Regimen were right! The creator of it even noticed the similarities!
Even with this, I totally understand that people popularize methods, but I think lots of people do this without direction from anyone.

I think people really like Nap, so this is revolutionary and exciting. But really, it's not uncommon and at this point I don't know that any one person can take credit for it.

greenandchic

I love the idea of daily washing. My head stinks if I go like threeish days between cleanings. I love feeling clean from top to bottom and I love being fresh head to toe everyday.

And I love shampoo. I use gel everyday, so I feel like I need to get it off.

I tried cowashing and leaving conditioner in my hair once and it gave me bald spots. I believe in keeping the scalp clean. Just started really experimenting with this. I hope my hair grows faster.

Cowashing doesn't work for me either - I wish it did! My scalp craves shampoo. I make up for it by prepooing and DCing often.

beingofserenity

Cowashing doesn't work for me either - I wish it did! My scalp craves shampoo. I make up for it by prepooing and DCing often.

My scalp got itchy and sore and then hair started to fall out, lol. Took me some time to figure out why since cowashing is often touted as a holy grail. My scalp doesn't like anything on it, besides its own oils. I don't even think my hair likes much product on it. my scalp feels amazing after a shampoo.