Any Merit? Naptural85's New Hair Growth Theory

Kookookiwi

So she's basically oil rinsing now?

Was she seriously planning on doing curl formers daily? Bless her if she was.

Not quite oil rinsing as I understand it because she's not adding any extra oil to the hair or letting it sit on the hair. Just during her water wash she's distributing the sebum she gets from massaging her scalp down the length of her hair. I haven't tried it so I can't speak on it but I was surprised she gets enough oil from her scalp for it to have such an effect. The only time my scalp has ever been that oily was from product buildup :look:. Supposedly this method causes an increase in oil production though

Yeaaaa that curlformer part was a no from the beginning. I'm happy she was honest about it so folks weren't out here breaking their hair.

Kookookiwi

So basically she's doing water only hair washing...?
Yep. Lol.

She's also saying that during the water washing she distributes the sebum she gets from massaging her scalp down her length and it keeps the hair moisturized and causes her scalp to produce more oil (which again is more moisturizing.) I don't know about all of that though because I haven't tried it.

The few times I've tried water washing my hair did respond very well! I don't do it unless my scalp is already fairly clean though. Shampoo has always stripped my hair and cowashing never went much better for me. I normally water wash and then seal with a yummy thick moisturizer or Shea butter and my hair has been great the next day. I've never done it long term though so I'm not sure how my scalp would do with product buildup. I don't think she's using many, if any, additional products so that's probably not a concern for her.

Last edited:

snoop

Not quite oil rinsing as I understand it because she's not adding any extra oil to the hair or letting it sit on the hair. Just during her water wash she's distributing the sebum she gets from massaging her scalp down the length of her hair. I haven't tried it so I can't speak on it but I was surprised she gets enough oil from her scalp for it to have such an effect. The only time my scalp has ever been that oily was from product buildup :look:. Supposedly this method causes an increase in oil production though

She's also saying that during the water washing she distributes the sebum she gets from massaging her scalp down her length and it keeps the hair moisturized and causes her scalp to produce more oil (which again is more moisturizing.) I don't know about all of that though because I haven't tried it.

I'm on month two of doing this and yes you do feel your sebum and you can distribute down your length as she says. With all of the talk about how type 4 hair has trouble, I think that the very first time of trying this it took me one week, this time around it took me closer to two...so not long at all to get a full coating of just using my fingers to distribute (MBL).

Last week, I didn't scritch, preen or distribute or water wash/rinse any of my sebum for seven days (I was installing mini twists) and now my scalp is sore with clogged follicles. My production was based on being able to rinse everyday so, I guess I'm suffering the consequences. Sebum is real.:spinning:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

Yeaaaa that curlformer part was a no from the beginning. I'm happy she was honest about it so folks weren't out here breaking their hair.
At the end I saw her add some of her oil mix and put her hair back under the water to rinse and detangle. Oil rinsing really protects the hair while de tangling so I could see this being helpful. I was thinking of trying it using her method but most times I pre poo with oil then oil rinse to detangle then co wash or shampoo because I don't want my fine hair weighed down.

I'm glad she was honest too. I think eventually she will get tired of washing so much though. Especially as it gets colder.

overtherainbow

So she's basically oil rinsing now?

Was she seriously planning on doing curl formers daily? Bless her if she was.
I know right? I can only use those things once a year.

Anyway, I find the whole rubbing the oils from my scalp to my hair a bit icky because by the time my hair is able to produce enough oil where I'm able to scrape it off my scalp, it's probably not going to smell that great.... And I'm able to naturally get the seabum to cover the first 2/3 of my hair strands anyway just by being lazy. I think that method works best for the ladies with dry scalps.

And I can't believe she lost her edges with daily massaging and frequent use of curlformers in such a short time. She needs to join us here :)

Kookookiwi

At the end I saw her add some of her oil mix and put her hair back under the water to rinse and detangle. Oil rinsing really protects the hair while de tangling so I could see this being helpful. I was thinking of trying it using her method but most times I pre poo with oil then oil rinse to detangle then co wash or shampoo because I don't want my fine hair weighed down.

I'm glad she was honest too. I think eventually she will get tired of washing so much though. Especially as it gets colder.
Ahh ok gotcha. I thought she had just done that for one of the washes, not as a constant part of her regi.

Part of why I haven't consistently done this method is because I don't feel like washing all of the time lol. I'm hoping water massages and then my normal daily water spritz will be fine. It's so hard for me to feel like worrying about my hair after a long day of work.

HaveSomeWine

It's interesting that she attributes daily washing to hair growth for type 1 and 2 hair when when a lot of times, the women with these hair types state that what helped them grow out their hair healthy and long was not washing it daily and going as long as possible between washes.

snoop

I finally watched the video. This new routine seems complicated. For someone who is water washing, she sure uses a lot of products....

NaturallyATLPCH

Whitney should go back to the regimen that worked the first time. Her hair was awesome before the color and all the changes to her initial regimen. Low manipulation and washing less obviously worked. The proof was in her results. I think she's changing things for new video content.

Exactly. She knows how to grow her hair, I think she's just bored and trying something new. The sad part is, people that do not know their hair or are trying to get length retention may try this method or jump on this bandwagon and suffer a setback wanting hair like hers and not doing what's best for THEIR hair.

Ogoma

UPDATED: Nap's Method

We were right about the over manipulation:yep:
  1. She is now only water washing every three to four days with a cowash every two weeks
  2. During the water washing focusing on distributing her scalps natural sebum
  3. Stopped doing the curlformers every wash- they caused breakage
  4. She also said the cowashing every wash caused scalp dryness for her.
Just wanted to update her progress in case anyone was following her method precisely so they could hopefully avoid some of the breakage issues. I haven't solidified my regi yet, but I've incorporated showering without a shower cap and wetting my scalp and then doing a scalp massage.

* Her hair is lovely

* Surprised she was putting conditioner on her scalp. I am too scared for that. My midweek wash is water to rinse out scalp and conditioner for length of hair.

* Not surprised she gave up putting in curlformers daily. It seemed like a lot of work.

* Glad she has found something that works for her and she is updating regularly.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Exactly. She knows how to grow her hair, I think she's just bored and trying something new. The sad part is, people that do not know their hair or are trying to get length retention may try this method or jump on this bandwagon and suffer a setback wanting hair like hers and not doing what's best for THEIR hair.
I think some vloggers just post crap to get paid. I don't follow or keep up w/any of them, especially if their hair is nothing like mine.

Kookookiwi

I think some vloggers just post crap to get paid. I don't follow or keep up w/any of them, especially if their hair is nothing like mine.

I love Whit, but these two videos have been the first time I've watched her hair channel in YEARS. I stay subscribed just to support her. She's not the most adventurous with styles and I do think this (and the color) is an attempt to change it up some for her viewers.

Kookookiwi

Ok I started water washing today! My regimen is:
  1. Oil rinse in shower so the steam will soften up my hair.
  2. Water wash with scalp massage.
  3. Finger detangle a little more under shower water
  4. Condition
  5. Rinse out conditioner
  6. Apply moisturizer to ends and twist to dry and stretch
While I was doing this today I also remembered to distribute the sebum I got from massaging my scalp on about half my hair. The only part I'm not sure of yet is how often I'll wash with shampoo if ever. I'll probably just play it by ear with how my scalp is feeling. OMG @Pokahontas thank you so much for pointing out the oil rinsing! My tangles melted away. I've tried finger detangling in the past but it was always too time consuming. With the oil rinsing I was able to get most of the shed hair out before I even wet my hair with the shower water. It was AMAZING! Whether or not I keep up with frequent washing I will definitely keep the oil rinsing.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Ok I started water washing today! My regimen is:
  1. Oil rinse in shower so the steam will soften up my hair.
  2. Water wash with scalp massage.
  3. Finger detangle a little more under shower water
  4. Condition
  5. Rinse out conditioner
  6. Apply moisturizer to ends and twist to dry and stretch
While I was doing this today I also remembered to distribute the sebum I got from massaging my scalp on about half my hair. The only part I'm not sure of yet is how often I'll wash with shampoo if ever. I'll probably just play it by ear with how my scalp is feeling. OMG @Pokahontas thank you so much for pointing out the oil rinsing! My tangles melted away. I've tried finger detangling in the past but it was always too time consuming. With the oil rinsing I was able to get most of the shed hair out before I even wet my hair with the shower water. It was AMAZING! Whether or not I keep up with frequent washing I will definitely keep the oil rinsing.
That's great! I love oil rinsing. It feels there's a protective barrier over my hair as I detangle so my hair doesn't break easily and also tangles just melt away under the water. I usually pre poo with vatika oil, oil rinse to detangle then shampoo or cowash.