Any naturals using not so natural hair products?

MsDes

If so what do you use? It seems like most of the naturals on here use all natural products...will using anything not natural affect my curl pattern in any way or what? Like, I use ORS products, Suave conditioner, etc. Many natural products have done me no good. I just wanted to know, thanks yall.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I do not use just natural products.
I think the only things that I use that are 100% natural in my hair are my oils, honey and aloe vera juice.

My shampoo:
Elasta QP creme conditioning

Conditioners:
Aubrey Organics HSR
VO5 moisture milks
Garnier Fructis sleek and shine
Joico kpak reconstructor
Kenra MC * Just picked this up today. Planning on using soon*

Leave ins:
Oyin Dew
Afro detangler
Garnier fructis diluted conditioner

Last edited:

AyannaDivine

I keep it as natural as possible but Im not opposed to using something if works really really well. There are certain ingredients that I choose to avoid like parabens which have been linked to cancer. I just posed in another thread that I was given a bottle of Hawaiian Silky and it seems to work really well, it aint nowhere close to being a natural product though! Do what works for you, your hair and your budget. A lot of the 100% natural products tend to cost more unless you mix them up yourself.

And to answer your question, no, non-natural products will not permanently alter your curl pattern. Some products might make help stretch the curls out or make them more defined, but all you have to do is wash the product out to get your natural pattern back.
Hope this helps!

Iluvsmuhgrass

I tend to use more natural products but only because I have really sensitive skin and I'm trying to stay away from carcinogens.

Theresamonet

I use a lot of Dominican products and they contain a lot of mineral oil and silicones. I still use Sulfate shampoos and serums. They've never done me any harm. I was also thinking about no longer using products that are so heavy in natural oils, i.e. Qhemet. I feel like all of these oils are breaking me out. I don't want pretty hair and horrible skin.

30something

Only two things that are all natural in my regimen is my deep conditioners and my styling butter (or what ever it is) besides my oils. I just can't seem to bring my self to spend $20 on a bottle of conditioner, or buy something that is over the internet... I'm just too cheap.

I mostly use herbal essences and suave for detangling, Aussie moist conditioner for when I flat iron, hair one for my "shampoo", and my leaves ins are not all natural. I could probably change out all unnatural products for trader joe's nourishing spa but I ran out of that

texasqt

I don't use anything natural and my curls are fine. I'm looking into the Curls line at Target or Shea Moisture at Walgreens to wear my 4a/b curls out more.

cbanks67

I used to use just about anything on my natural hair and then I started making all of my own natural products and noticed a huge difference in retention for myself. My hair is quite picky.

NefertariBlu

I use a mixture of both. Things like Shea butter and coconut oil do nothing for my hair. I only like Jamican black castor oil for sealing and I use Miss Jessies for twist outs.

tocktick

I don't use mostly natural/all natural products and haven't really done at any stage.

Shampoo: I used to stick to Sulfar 8 but switched to Aussie Mega Shampoo.
Conditioner: Usually the Herbal Essences conditioner for curly or dry hair.
DC: I don't use it religiously. I hardly ever pick up the same DC consistently.

I leave a bit of conditioner on my hair when I've finished washing and then I'll add a little bit of olive oil. That's about the only natural element of my hair care routine aside from henna 1-2x a year.

lamaria211

Im natural I like both natural and traditional. I tried to go only natural once and my hair suffered now I have a nice mix of the two and my hair is happy
To many to list but some of my natural products are
Nubian Heritage Repair Treatment Masque
NH Grow.& Strengthen Treatment Masque
NH Grow&Strengthen Custard
Silk Dreams
Curls line products
AO conditioners...ect

Last edited:

LightEyedMami

I use mostly natural products (Giovonni, Aubrey Organics ETC.) The reason i use natural products is because they work for me, years ago i tried , sallys generic products,suave,V05 ETC. and they either stopped working for my hair, made my hair dry and brittle, or burned my scalp :blush:.....so now the only un-natural product i use (and love by the way :grin:) is aphogee 2 minute reconstructor....i am open to anything (natural or not) that works on my hair, it just tends to be natural products.

The only thing that can even consider being natural in my reggie is my Shea Moisture shampoo and some oil, chile. Everything else is chock full of parabens, mineral oils, and sulfates :)

Kindheart

I use both ,right now im using Syntonics shampoo and whatever Con i find ,my
Chemical products include: creme of nature argan poo+con ,aphogee poo+con,paul mitchell strenghtening treatment,profectiv mask,fructis mask,pantrne r&n .love this ,UBH con+cream,beautiful textutes,ultra sheen natirals line .

NikkiQ

I think I have about 90% non-natural products in my stash and I don't see me changing to all natural products anytime soon.

kim

Using only all natural products didn't do the job for me. The only all natural products I use now are my oils.

Z-kitty

I use natural products for the simple fact that they tend to work better for my scalp. Back when I was relaxing I couldnt figure out why my hair hair was always so itchy after washing to the point I would scratch my scalp all night and couldnt sleep. I swiched to Aubrey Organics and other natural products and have not had an itchy scalp since.

allmundjoi

I use both. I only use the silicones/parabens when I am getting flat ironed. Like the,

Mizani Thermasmooth system (steps 3/4)
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
Chi products

I gave also tried using grape seed oil to flat iron.

I haven't been flat ironed in 7 months, so I have been using natural products only lately.
I use,

Daily moisture:
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smooth
Shea Moisture Curling Souffle
Castor oil

Condish/cowash:
Yes to Cucumbers
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa (has parabens)
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (?)
Aubrey Organics GPB
AOHSR
The Body Shop Banana Conditioner

Shampoo:
Natural shampoo bars

Misc:
Henna

greenandchic

I use a little of both depending on the season, how I'm wearing my hair, etc. I tend to use natural shampoos, but more conventional conditioners since I use so much in cowashing, DC, leave-in, etc. I try to keep it paraben, silicon and sulfate free for the most part though.

Shampoo
Giovanni - Smooth as Silk (sulfate and paraben free)
Giovanni - 50:50 (sulfate and paraben free)

Conditioners
Tresemme Naturals (not completely natural, but paraben free)
Trader Joe's Tree Tea Tingle (more natural)
L'Oreal EverCreme Conditioner (not completely natural, but paraben free)
Yes to Carrots Conditioner (natural, I think)
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner

Stylers
Ecostyler Gel Blue (havent used it in a while)
Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel (very natural)
Curls Goddess Gel (natural)

The rest are oils, butters, herbs, etc.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I currently don't use any natural products. I will use coconut oil or evoo if it's lying around but for the most part I use commercial products. I'm currently using Pantene medium thick frizzy to smooth shampoo, conditioners vary between ORS Replenishing, Lekair, or Dove and my leave ins are SE Mega cholesterol, Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil, and some softee grease. My curl pattern is beautiful and fine and hair is soft as ever. :ohwell:

Miss AJ

Unless the ingredients are flat out nasty, I dont concern myself with the naturalness of a product. I think the most natural thing I use are the hair perfumes from Alikay Naturals. My hair loves cones and I can't get my hair and scalp clean without sulfates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.