Any reviews of VO5 as a co washing conditioner?

P

Paradox

Since I started on the hair journey, I have always only used organic/natural hair products. Unforunately I am going broke:lachen:, so I need to branch out. I chose VO5 because it doesn't have any silicones. Is there any one else that usually uses natural products that uses VO5, I also would like reviews from those that don't usually use natural products? If someone could recommend another product without silicones, petroleum jelly, or mineral oil, that would be great also.

P

Paradox

I just need about 5 opinions. I tried to do a search but nothing came up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Traycee

I love love Vo5 moisture milks for my co-washes....I also use it as a leave-in when I air dry

IrisDaVirus

I've tried VO5 conditioners in the past with no success. But a lot of ladies on here have done very well with them.

Tylove101

I'll bump for ya! I'm like you... I always use organic or natural... but for a couple of weeks I tried VO5 Moisture Milks and it made my hair dry, so I gave it up. I didn't like the feel of my hair. I'm back to my Giovanni Smooth As Silk for co-washes and my hair is happy now.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I love love Vo5 moisture milks for my co-washes....I also use it as a leave-in when I air dry

Co-sign. I'd also like to add that I like V05 Silky Experiences Champagne Kiss for my co-washes too. It has silk proteins and biotin in it. Makes my hair smooooooth!

P

Paradox

I'll bump for ya! I'm like you... I always use organic or natural... but for a couple of weeks I tried VO5 Moisture Milks and it made my hair dry, so I gave it up. I didn't like the feel of my hair. I'm back to my Giovanni Smooth As Silk for co-washes and my hair is happy now.
yep, that would make sense. I might just have to cut down on the amount of time that I co wash. :rolleyes:

Eisani

Co-sign. I'd also like to add that I like V05 Silky Experiences Champagne Kiss for my co-washes too. It has silk proteins and biotin in it. Makes my hair smooooooth!

This one and Sun Ripened Raspberry are my absolute favorites. I also use them as leave ins, and the raspberry in a spritz bottle mixed w/distilled water for days I don't wanna cowash but need moisture. I also like Calming Chamomile.

P

Paradox

silk proteins and biotin! that sounds great :grin:

A856

I've tried VO5 conditioners in the past with no success. But a lot of ladies on here have done very well with them.

I've tried once before...it was at the .99cent store didn't work out so well...

do you think I would have any success mixing it :ohwell:

tried once again last week mixing it with another condish and oils but to no avail...

I HATE VO5

leave my hair a tangled stiff mess

exactly what this did to me...UGH!!!:wallbash: so now i have some of the strawberries and creme...maybe i'll mix it in my shampoo i've seen some other do this...i don't know tho:rolleyes:

Akemi

I don't regularly use natural products, but I bought 2 VO5 conditioners from CVS when they had a $.66 sale. I co-washed with one of them, and it weren't thick enough for my hair. I like thick conditioners.

missnurselady

This one is my favorite but I cant find it anywhere.... when I was at the grocery store yesterday why was a discontinued tag in front of the spot where it was supposed to be? I have been on a mission for about a month and I have not found it anywhere here in St.Louis:perplexed

itzkimmie

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Tea Therapy Calming Chamomile for my CWs...The moisture milks didn't work for my 4a hair, but my daughter's 3b hair loves it. Also, the Tea Therapy clarifying conditioner is off the chain in addition to the kiwi lime. Hope this helps!!!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Vo5 is one of my favorite cheapie conditioners! I use Vitaburst Grapefruit Conditioner and it leaves my hair soft and tangle free (I'm texlaxed). I guess it depends on the type of Vo5 conditioner because the orange wella balsam type doesn't work as well on my hair. I'd also like to mention that some of the Vo5 conditioners have protein in them, which may be why some have issues with the results. The good thing is you can try it out and if it doesn't work for you, all you loose is 99 cents!

P

Paradox

Vo5 is one of my favorite cheapie conditioners! I use Vitaburst Grapefruit Conditioner and it leaves my hair soft and tangle free (I'm texlaxed). I guess it depends on the type of Vo5 conditioner because the orange wella balsam type doesn't work as well on my hair. I'd also like to mention that some of the Vo5 conditioners have protein in them, which may be why some have issues with the results. The good thing is you can try it out and if it doesn't work for you, all you loose is 99 cents!
Yeah, the only problem is that I don't want to do any damage that will take alot to repair, since I will be flat ironing my hair this week. The last thing I need is dry hair.

clever

Yeah, the only problem is that I don't want to do any damage that will take alot to repair, since I will be flat ironing my hair this week. The last thing I need is dry hair.
I wouldn't use V05 before heat.I used them alot when I first started my journey and I couldn't figure out why my hair couldn't retain moisture.It was making my hair soft and supple at first but as it began to dry, my hair would get brittle and I started getting splits.They have a vanilla floral one that I use for detangling.

Caramela

I use it every conditioner wash. My favorite is the anti-split ends one. It's blue. I stock up on that stuff when I see it. It's hard to come by.

P

Paradox

I wouldn't use V05 before heat.I used them alot when I first started my journey and I couldn't figure out why my hair couldn't retain moisture.It was making my hair soft and supple at first but as it began to dry, my hair would get brittle and I started getting splits.They have a vanilla floral one that I use for detangling.
Thanks for the advice, I guess I will continue on with my search. I probably will just start stocking up on some Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner, although those parabens are alittle drying, I guess I will just add some castor oil or coconut oil to it .

LovelyLionessa

If you are going to flat iron, I would reccomend using shampoo first. You do want to have build up on your hair and then use heat. Just my :twocents:

I'm not one for co-washing, I tried to give it another go though with VO5 and didn't care for it. I felt it didn't get my hair clean per se. I prefer to just rinse my hair with water instead if I don't want to shampoo. HTH:sunshine:

P

Paradox

If you are going to flat iron, I would reccomend using shampoo first. You do want to have build up on your hair and then use heat. Just my :twocents:

I'm not one for co-washing, I tried to give it another go though with VO5 and didn't care for it. I felt it didn't get my hair clean per se. I prefer to just rinse my hair with water instead if I don't want to shampoo. HTH:sunshine:
I was just looking for something to co wash with this week until I wash with shampoo and flat iron..however I want to build moisture this week...not take it away. I rinse with water also, when I am feeling lazy. I may just start doing this since I have some good leave in conditioners.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I tried the VO5 for my co-wash. I didn't really like it because it left my hair rough feeling even after applying a leave in. I plan on mixing the rest of my stash w/ some Duo Tex and using it as a protein pre-poo. Instead I use Suave conditioners. They have slip and leave my hair moisturized until next wash.

P

Paradox

Conclusion: I am just going to rinse with water and then use a good leave in conditioner(Giovanni and qhemet seem to do the job), thanks Priestess:grin:. I'm too poor to do the co wash all the time..however it is very important that I buy a good deep conditioner.

LadyPaniolo

Ugh. I despise this conditioner. Never, ever in my life have I had such horrid results from a conditioner. My hair felt like straw, or hay, just hard, rough and dry. It actually reminded me of when I colored my hair one time. That's how jacked up my hair was by this conditioner.

It was messed up, cuz I had just read all these rave reviews on here about the VO5 cheapie cons when I ran into a bunch of it at the Dollar store. I was so happy and just sure I'd like it, that I bought 3 bottles. I still have 2.5 bottles full, just wasting space! :wallbash: Now I know. When trying a new product, get ONE bottle. And not the jumbo size either!

I sincerely hope it works better for you than it did for me.

Eta: I see that you decided to skip this product. Good call.

Last edited:

Rain20

The Organix conditioners are pretty good. They have Vanilla Silk, Coconut Milk, Pomegranate and Green Tea, and Tea Tree and Mint. They are moisturizing and have natural ingredients and not very expensive but more than VO5. The Suave Humectant is supposed to be moisturizing as well but I cannot remember all the ingredients. HTH.