Anybody else tired of going to hair salons?

Brownie

Okay everyone, I only go to the salon 2-3 times a year for a touch up, but this is what I'm tired of:

--I'm tired of hairdressers trying to comb my hair with a rat tail comb---even when I bring my wide tooth comb with me.

--I'm tired of hairdressers asking me why I don't want my hair bone straight---like I'm weird for wanting some wave in my hair.

--I'm tired of hairdressers acting like it's a chore to comb my thick hair. When did thick hair become a bad thing?

--I'm sick and tired of hairdressers acting like they are always right and they know what's best for MY hair.

--I'm tired of waiting forever just to get a roller set or to have my hair blown out.

--I'm tired of hairdressers pulling brushes through my hair during a blow out. I've blown my hair out at home without all that hair torture.

--I'm tired of hairdressers hiding and quickly throwing away the hair that they pull from my scalp from rough combing and handling.

--I'm tired of hairdressers who never seem to get the relaxer just on the 1 1/2 to 3 inches of new growth. Can't they see it? I can. Some of them seem to just put the relaxer on the same amount of hair for everyone. They just get in a routine of putting it 3-5 inches down. Okay, that's it. I'm tired of lazy hairdressers.

--And this one's for Supergirl: I'm tired of hairdressers who are toooooooooooooooooooooooo scissor happy. Thank goodness I haven't ran into any of those, but they exist and this is for them

Anyone else tired of hairdressers????????????????? If so, what are you sick and tired of?

B

ballet_bun

Hey Brownie ...

I will not go to a hairdresser anymore. I do everything myself. I went to school for cosmetology for a year in 1989. I quit , so that I could go back to my regular school and get college prep classes. Once I started doing my own hair, I started seeing more growth.

What annoys me about hairdressers:

* That what was supposed to be a 1/2' trim, somehow means 2 inches to them. I have left hairsalons devasted many times. I trim my own hair too!

* Hairdressers that don't rinse and shampoo properly after applying a relaxer. Then you wake up the next morning with scabs on your scalp and breakage.

Those are the two things that annoy me the most. The last time I had a trim (which was years ago), I asked for a hand mirror and I watched her closely. Tell me something ...why do they want to cut so much.

Ballet Bun ...

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I go to the hair salon every four months for a relaxer touch-up, and I go on my birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Allandra,
I definitely couldn't go to a salon for my birthday. They would ruin my day. My hair is texturized, and every hairdresser I go to says over and over again, "Boy, you sure have a lot of hair...It's so thick." And after they say that, they start raking the comb through my hair like they don't have any sense. I'm seriously thinking of giving up salons all together. It's just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

JazzAngel

Oh Yeahhh!

#1 don't on my hair list:

Do not ever return to a stylist. It comes before any of the harsh things like blowdrying or hotcombing or combing with a rat tooth comb.

Can you get my drift here? YUP I dread those people!

henrilou

Honestly. I am tired of the fight. I give them MY money, they're supposed to OFFER their opinions and then CHEERFULLY let you decide. Not suck their teeth and mutter stuff like," well your hair gonna fall out", or, "you trippin' it's just a trim..."
Your stylist is not supposed to intimidate you. Their not supposed to BULLY you into a service you didn't come for.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly. I am tired of the fight. I give them MY money, they're supposed to OFFER their opinions and then CHEERFULLY let you decide. Not suck their teeth and mutter stuff like," well your hair gonna fall out", or, "you trippin' it's just a trim..."
Your stylist is not supposed to intimidate you. Their not supposed to BULLY you into a service you didn't come for.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last one I went to, did try to intimidate me. She knew she was making my scalp hurt by pulling at my head (her attempt at combing). I said "ouch" out loud, so she'd know she was hurting me, but she continued on her merry way. I was just head #10 of the day. I can't go back. I just feel like I can't trust any of these money hungry hair murderers.

satindawl

Im pretty new to this board, but this post really caught my attention. My hairdresser cut my hair super short one time, and I said, "wow thats really short, I dont know if I like it...he has the nerve to say.."itll grow back"...

G

Well, I moved. I drive 2 hours for my relaxer today. I get there and she is doing a weave. I leave and go get lunch. I come back and she still is not ready for me. Essentially it took me 11 hours to get a 2 hour hairstyle. I left at 8:30 a.m. and didn't get back home till about 7:00 p.m.

henrilou

That happens at the salon ALOT. I walk in for my 4:00 and who is sitting in the chair, but someone who is obviously getting a weave-or braids. It pisses me off. Because the stylist doesn't acknowledge this. I am just supposed to sit there and not react to the fact that I am here at 4 and it'll be 5 before she even starts to shampoo me. And worse, she'll shampoo me right away, so I am really stuck-- then I sit at the shampoo bowl for 45 minutes.

lunalight7

Oh my God bett...thats horrible....sorry you had that experience....start looking for someone more reliable/closer to your home.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I moved. I drive 2 hours for my relaxer today. I get there and she is doing a weave. I leave and go get lunch. I come back and she still is not ready for me. Essentially it took me 11 hours to get a 2 hour hairstyle. I left at 8:30 a.m. and didn't get back home till about 7:00 p.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

11 hours
. I don't think I would've stayed. That's awful.

G

I didn't sit in the shop 11 hours. I sat in the shop from 10:30 to 3:00 but I definitely will consider looking for someone where I live.

FineChyna

i only went to the salon once for a perm and a few times to get my hair braided. ok the salon thing was a nightmare cause the woman over processed my hair, giving me split ends and actually admitted leaving the relaxer in longer cause my hair is naturally wavy/curly and the curly would go straight....so my hair broke off BADLY. and after she rinsed my hair she said oh you have alot of split ends---funny it wasn't really like that when i got there. i was 14 and never went back

the hair braiders are interesting cause i guess that they are used to braiding people who have really short hair. they make it seem like its a task or something. another time i went and got my hair braided and because i blew dry it and it was freezy the woman looked at my head like she was pissed that she had to deal w/ a "brillo head" then she touched it and thought twice about it i guess. then someone else who braided my hair before told her that my hair should be easy to do, which it was.

they need to teach a class on professionalism when it comes to salons because people act a fool entirely toooo much. i get my eyebrows waxed at a white salon near my house and people never comment on how they hate someone's hair texture or gossip, and they keep their mouths shut.

B

ballet_bun

You can stretch your relaxers to every 4 months. What is your hair type? The last few times I stretched it to 3 months ... this last time a little over.

I'm impressed with your 4 months though!!!!

Ballet Bun ...

G

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely couldn't go to a salon for my birthday. They would ruin my day

[/ QUOTE ]

G

You know it's sad, but last yr, this witch cut off 6 inches of my hair, but it turned out to be good cause I learned to care for my own hair, found UBH and this Hair board, I'm proud to say that with GOD and me taking care of my own hair it is healthy and growing.

I still go to salon 8 - 10 wks for touchup only because 1) you can get affirm in the stores or sally's and 2) I don't trust myself in the back of my hair like that.

OTHERWISE.... I would never darken thier doors

Last week I was just gonna go and treat myself to a wash and set, but I saved the money and styled it myself.

Nobody cares for eyes more than Pearl.. OH sorry wrong quoute

I mean, no one loves your hair more than you..... The thing I hate most are baldheaded, weave wearin stylist (busted weave at that), telling you what you OUGHT to do with you hair...

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody cares for eyes more that Pearl.. OH sorry wrong quote

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes
indeed.

ladylibra_30

i want to stop going to the salon BUT i am too dependant on my stylist for : ALL chemical services, coloring, and trims (fortunately she REALLY knows how to dust and not chop!)

i wish i could do all of the above b/c i feel that I can do my hair better
and i don't have license the first!

I haven't been to the hair dresser in 7 years. I haven't found a hairdresser who will take care of my hair. I keep running across the ones who just style my hair. So I do my own. Plus most of the time my hair didn't look no better than when I did it. I would go if I found someone who really cared.

Karonica

I don't go anymore. I haven't been since May. That trifling salon was the last straw for me.

The next time I go, it may be for a trim (because I mess myself up everytime I attempt my own).

nita4

Hairdressers that have no regard for you or your time.

Hairdressers that bump you for someone else. I understand they need to make their money, but it's rude not to inform a person. I mean, if you had to cancel your appointment, wouldn't you call them?

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
That happens at the salon ALOT. I walk in for my 4:00 and who is sitting in the chair, but someone who is obviously getting a weave-or braids. It pisses me off. Because the stylist doesn't acknowledge this. I am just supposed to sit there and not react to the fact that I am here at 4 and it'll be 5 before she even starts to shampoo me. And worse, she'll shampoo me right away, so I am really stuck-- then I sit at the shampoo bowl for 45 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

She does that so you don't get up and leave. She knows nobody wants to walk out of a salon with dripping wet hair
. She feels that if you sit there stewing, you'll walk out so she grabs u and washes you. It's a quick way to make sure you don't lose a client (or should i say M-O-N-E-Y)
I don't go to the bs anymore (except for trims & touch-ups), I take care of my own hair now.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
The last time I went to a salon was in January. I went for a trim and twist set, and instead of doing a twist set on the full head, she did half twist set and then rolled my hair in the back. she didnt tell me until after she did it, and it came out looking a hot mess!!!
i was so embarrassed to have to go out in the public to go home to rinse it out. i didnt pay her not a dime either. for whatever reason ,ill tell her a style and shell do whatever she wants. not to mention they take like 5 hrs for simple styles, and she constantly talks on the phone, takes care of her daughter, cooks, cleans, in the midst of doing someone's hair!

so now i take care of my own and i found a stylist that doesnt work in a salon in case i want specific styles

pressncurl

I've been to a salon twice in my life . . . once in high school when I went away for the summer and didn't have my mom with me to do my hair. I actually got a really good press and trim, and left the salon loving my hair. The last time was a year ago for my wedding -- basically I felt like I deserved the pampering.
The reasons I don't frequent salons is 1)I'm a penny pincher; 2)I think I do my hair just fine; 3)I've never seen a beautician whose hair I liked; and 4)I have heard too many beautician horror stories, so I just don't trust them.

Honey01

Yes I am tired of most aspects of the salon. The only thing I really enjoy these days is the shampoo massage. On a whim last week I decided to go this upscale salon I previously visited for an eyebrow wax. The owner gave me a blowout and suggested I needed a trim. But guess at what price? 95$!!!! This is in ADDITION to the $65.00 blowout. All services are a la carte. I'm like no not a "cut" a "trim". She says she charges the same since it's the same amount of work. I declined and told her I would think about it. I was disappointed because she really seemed to understand the concerns I have about my hair and my hair goals. Plus, she had long hair herself that was in good condition (I haven't met many Black sylist in Chicago that I can say the same about).

G

I haven't met many Black sylist in Chicago that I can say the same about).
___
I used to have horrible beautician stories until I met my current beautician. She trims 1/4 as I request. She stopped using alcohol products as I requested and she compliments my growth progress each week. She has long hair and her oldest daughter has hair near her butt. All of her customers mostly have long hair. She is definitely an anomaly in the hair profession. If she didn't double and triple book and live 2 hours away (now), she would be a dream.

MissM

I'm tired of them doing what they want to your hair and not caring about it. Most of them have these know-it-all attitudes about hair and they don't know jack! One stylist asked me what I put in my hair oil-wise cause it was really healthy and I told him olive oil. Know what he said then? That I shouldn't be using all that stuff!! Know what he puts on client's hair? Bergamont hair grease? Is there something that I missed?

The last time I went for a blow-out (as a treat) she put way too much oil in my hair, I didn't have to oil it for like three days. It was so oily that it was limp, no body, nothing. The time before that she put way too much setting lotion in my hair and I had to wash my hair 2 days later! Do they actually have you wondering sometimes that are you expecting too much?

I would love to find someone that does my hair to my satisfaction. I would love to find someone that asks me detailed questions about what I want done to my hair and put in my hair. I doubt that I will ever find that. Better to stick with doing my own hair.