Anybody like flaxseed gel as much as me?

KurlyNinja

Mixed up my second batch of flaxseed gel last night for a WnG. And my hair turned out AMAZING! My curls are clumped, I'm getting some hang time, its moisturizing and I'm not getting the whole crunchy hair thing going on. I think this is going to become a new staple of mine since its so cheap and easy to make!

I used 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flaxseeds. After i strained the gel I added:

1 tbs of 100% food grade aloe vera
1 tsp of jojoba oil
1 tsp of sweet almond oil
A few drops of jamsmine essential oil

My hair turned out beautifully! May i even go so far as in saying that this is a holy grail product. I just want to see what you ladies think of flaxseed gel and what are you mixing into yours?

Also post pics if you have any. I think this will be a good thread for people who are trying to get a successful WnG this summer.

My hair with flaxseed gel

6b698f88-942b-4f9e-93f3-eac1f31dae3b-1.jpg

b414669f-027b-4562-9d50-eba9d6bc6395-1.jpg

Last edited:
So happy that you had a good experience with the flaxseed gel. A month ago I bought flaxseeds and made the gel and it made my hair as hard as a rock :lol: Perhaps I should have added a little more oil.

So happy that you had a good experience with the flaxseed gel. A month ago I bought flaxseeds and made the gel and it made my hair as hard as a rock :lol: Perhaps I should have added a little more oil.

You should try it again! What was your water to flaxseed ratio? If you use less seeds the gel won't come out as thick and crunch will go away. Also adding oils help as well.

I love flaxseed gel better than any other gel I have tried. Sometimes, I just use your same ratio of flaxseed to water and then I add aloe vera gel, and some kind of oil after cooled. However, I love this recipe from Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v6NSSPlcKc&list=FLLNCzzmMfSsXKVExKDLrk8A&index=1&feature=plpp_video

2 cups distilled water
2 tablespoons flaxseed
1 tablespoon cloves
1 green tea bag
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon lemon juice

I do add a teaspoon of oil to this mixture.

You should try it again! What was your water to flaxseed ratio? If you use less seeds the gel won't come out as thick and crunch will go away. Also adding oils help as well.

I used probably a 1/2 cup of seeds and 2 cups of water---a bit much huh? :lol: I got the recipe from some site.

I will definitely try again, because I have a whole bag of the flaxseeds left.

I've never tried straight flaxseed gel, but I use and absolutely LOVE Oyin Shine and Define (first three ingredients are water, flaxseeds, and aloe vera). Definitely my favorite styling product ever. I keep telling myself I'll make my own concoction ever since I moved out of Baltimore and can't get Oyin on the ground anymore.

reeko43 What does the lemon juice do? Would that not be stripping to the hair?

GreenEyedJen You should definitely try to make it. Flaxseeds are REALLY cheap and it takes nothing but boiling water to make flaxseed gel. I believe I paid $4 for a pound a flaxseeds and I only use 1/4 a cup everytime I make a cup of flaxseed gel.

Last edited:
KurlyNinja, the Youtuber uses the lemon juice to help bring the solution to a balanced ph and keeps germs down. The lemon juice used .is a small amount and I have not experienced any drying.

I got my recipe from Naptural85

It's amazing stuff. EcoStyler doesnt hold a candle to it.

I make the typical water/seeds ration then add argan oil as it cools.

Like any gel, it can dry out the hair. I suggest moisturizing and sealing first then putting the gel on top as you go (for braid out or twist outs). Never had crunchiness after that.

You cant beat the definition and length of time it holds a style. When I use it, I don't have reversion problems either, unless I put water directly on my head. And that's sayin somethin...

I tried it once and thought it was ok. I'm gonna make another batch soon. I'm still experimenting.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LHCF

It is the holy grail of all gels lol I tried the curly custard from kinky custard that has similar feel but it still tops that 15 dollar product lol!!!

I am going to make some this weekend using Kurly Ninja's recipe above, as I have most of those oils already on hand and see how it goes. After watching Naptural85's video the gel reminds me of my favorite KKC gel so I am super excited to replicate that at a fraction of the cost b/c I can get product heavy ;) WOOHOO!

BTW, anyone know how long this will last if you keep it in the fridge as recommended?

BlackDiamond21 Hope you enjoy the gel as much as I do! If you keep it refrigerated it lasts 1-2 weeks. Oils usually help it last a little longer. I always make small batches though. Usually enough for a week at a time.

I have been doing research on flaxseed and saw mixed reviews. I still intend on giving it a try though.

Back