Anyone have a Private Stylist?

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Does anyone here have a personal "do it all" stylist that you go to as opposed to going to a salon? I mean, someone that either comes to you or you go to their house? Someone you still pay, but you go to them because you don't like to be in salons? If so, how has your experience been?

bellezanegra826

I do not have a personal stylist now, but I have gone to people's houses to get my hair done. The experience was ok but the stylist is less accountable when they work out of their home. Meaning that people often try to do their best when they know that someone is looking over their shoulders like in a salon setting. Moreover, there are no health codes for in home/personal stylist so you do put yourself at greater risk for having health related issues as a result of unclean products. Finally, a salon setting keeps a certain type of people away from you. If cousins Bookie and Pookieloo are running from prison and are hiding at your stylist's home, you have no control over that. Buyer beware!!!!!!

caligirl

Yeah, I used to go to this lady's house to get my hair pressed. Not only did she tear my hair out, but she burned me without saying sorry constantly. I was so dependent on her that I kept going back. Until I realized that I'd rather wear it natural then put up with that abuse.

blackbarbie

PittGirl06, when you say go to a stylists home, I am sure you meant a legit, licensed one b/c most of the ones that are operating out of their home are not licensed and are not as accountable for what they do and there isn't even a way to hold them accountable for what they do (or don't do)

I have never had an experience myself before but I have a friend who has and I have also had a stylist that used to do my hair that had one client in town that paid her extra to come to her house. The incident with my friend was as funny as all get out though. She said she wanted some 2 strand twists and one of the tenants at the apartment complex she manages told her about this lady who did braids, etc. from her house. So off she went, with picture in hand, to get them done. When she finished, she said when she finally looked in the mirror, she scared her own self!:eek: Our other friend thought it was too funny and since I live in another state, she took a picture w/her cell phone and sent it to me. It looked like she stuck her hand in an electrical socket.:antlers: Well, it gets even better. She told the lady she wasn't going to pay her the $150 she wanted b/c she wasn't pleased with the job and it didn't look like the picture she showed her; told her if she couldn't do it in the first place, she should have told her. Then the lady said, well just pay me what you feel like is fair. My friend tried to offer her $50 and then the lady came back and said "give me all of it or nothing." Needless to say, my friend left there that day and paid nothing. Two weeks later, she gets a letter from the lady telling her she is going to take her to small claims court to sue for the $150.:swordfigh She sent her a return letter saying that it wouldn't be a problem and that while she was filing a petition in small claims court, she (my friend) would be filing a complaint with the State Cosmetology Board. She hasn't heard from the lady since!!!

She said she should have known something was up b/c the lady was somewhere in her 50's and had about 3 different colors in her hair. Notice i didn't say highlights, i said colors!!! as in red, blue and orange!!!

MzTami

Hellerrrr
blackbarbie said:
PittGirl06, when you say go to a stylists home, I am sure you meant a legit, licensed one b/c most of the ones that are operating out of their home are not licensed and are not as accountable for what they do and there isn't even a way to hold them accountable for what they do (or don't do)

I have never had an experience myself before but I have a friend who has and I have also had a stylist that used to do my hair that had one client in town that paid her extra to come to her house. The incident with my friend was as funny as all get out though. She said she wanted some 2 strand twists and one of the tenants at the apartment complex she manages told her about this lady who did braids, etc. from her house. So off she went, with picture in hand, to get them done. When she finished, she said when she finally looked in the mirror, she scared her own self!:eek: Our other friend thought it was too funny and since I live in another state, she took a picture w/her cell phone and sent it to me. It looked like she stuck her hand in an electrical socket.:antlers: Well, it gets even better. She told the lady she wasn't going to pay her the $150 she wanted b/c she wasn't pleased with the job and it didn't look like the picture she showed her; told her if she couldn't do it in the first place, she should have told her. Then the lady said, well just pay me what you feel like is fair. My friend tried to offer her $50 and then the lady came back and said "give me all of it or nothing." Needless to say, my friend left there that day and paid nothing. Two weeks later, she gets a letter from the lady telling her she is going to take her to small claims court to sue for the $150.:swordfigh She sent her a return letter saying that it wouldn't be a problem and that while she was filing a petition in small claims court, she (my friend) would be filing a complaint with the State Cosmetology Board. She hasn't heard from the lady since!!!

She said she should have known something was up b/c the lady was somewhere in her 50's and had about 3 different colors in her hair. Notice i didn't say highlights, i said colors!!! as in red, blue and orange!!!

ROFL... :lachen:

sky_blu

OK BB that story was funny :lachen: The only stylist that I go to in home are hair braiders and Ive never had a problem. Oh yeah I go to my grandmothers house (she's a licensed cosmetologist for over 30 years) and got my hair done before. She's the only person I trust to straighten my hair with a hot comb and has never burnt me.

Nita81

I go to my best friend's sister's house to get my hair done. She does a fantastic job. She used to work in the salon but felt she could make more money working out of her home. So basically she took her clients with her. She's the only person (besides me)I let touch my hair aside from getting micro braids.