Do You Have a "Back Up" Stylist?

NYLegalNewbie

I was wondering if folks here have a "back up" stylist. You know, someone that you go to when you need to get your hair done ASAP and your regular sylist is unavailable.

I've accidentally stretched my hair for going on 13 weeks now! I normally get my hair relaxed every 10 to 12 weeks, but my appointment was cancelled last weekend due to work and my stylist being sick. I really do not want to be forced to stretch my relaxer for more than 14 weeks, so I am contemplating finding another stylist who can do my hair in the event I cannot get an appointment within the week with my regular stylist.

BTW - if you NY ladies have any suggestions for someone in Manhattan let me know (other than Tamika at Salon Cecilia...that's my current stylist who I love :))

Barbara

Princess
Me. I don't believe in trying to locate a stylist at the last minute. That's putting too much pressure on the stylist unless business is slow.

Mwenye_Heri

I use to have a back up stylist in Detroit, but when we moved to NC it all went down hill. The rule in my book goes like this

1) Main Stylist: She is the one that cares about your hair health. She gives suggestions and can have u looking fly in no time. She is the every two weeks person.
2) Back up stylist: She cares about the hair health but she can't do a style. Sure ur hair will shiny, but you will get the mushroom curls. When the main can't seem to fit you in.
3)Hey girl stylist: This one is not about the health of your hair but you will look FLY!!!. She will slap on that motions relaxer in no time, add that glue to your scalp and hair to get that ponytail looking tight, and use that good ole brown gel. Go to her once a year.

locabouthair

I did but now I just have one.

Nothing wrong with having back up as long as she's not damaging your hair and cares about the health of your hair. Mine didn't so she had to go.

cicilypayne

My Main Stylist can install my weave like no other..but she is so slow and always overbooked it takes me 6 to 7 hours on install days. Wash/Set days no less than 3 to 4 hours. My dominican stylist is my back up.. but I see her every 2 or 3 weeks..much more frequently than my main stylist. My dominican stylist takes 1 to 2 hours and makes my hair look soft and beautiful. My main stylist, when I see her on a frequent basis can really help the growth:rolleyes::rolleyes: BUT thats too long to be in the shop for me I have 2 children under 3.:spinning:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I just found one. I live in a small place with not many hair stylist that are educated on AA hair so to find an intial stylist was great and to have a back up that cares about the health of my hair is AWESOME. Seems like she maybe getting a promotion soon to the 1st chair in my hair book.

Vinyl

Yes, but I haven't really found a "main" stylist yet. I did have one, stuff happened, so now I'm reluctant to go back to her. But my back-up stylist damaged my hair so badly that she's literally just a, "Oh darn I forgot to schedule with my main stylist!" person.

I think I need a new one of both.

ajacks

I am a firm believer in having a back up stylist, however I would not try to find a new one when I was in need of a chemical service.

kupenda

I am my first stylist. But if I want my hair straightened or I want a certain style, the Dominican salon is my backup. I can go from crazy to cute in 2 hours lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF