Anyone have one side of their hair drastically longer than the other?

LionQueen

I had a situation last year where I had really bad breakage on the left side in the back (from over use of "cone" serum), the right side was the longest my hair had been as an adult =(.

March 24, 2006

June 24, 2006 (mirror image)

I helped the situation along by using MN and jojoba oil nightly ONLY in the area where the breakage occurred ( massaged into scalp ), and went straight into braids for a month (almost 4 weeks, the MN/Jojoba had that back section looking raggedy with new growth)

After coming out of braids, I continued with the MN/Jojoba in the shorter section, wore wet buns or updo's (back part only) to hide the difference in length, and did dustings of the longer side every two to three weeks. The MN/Jojoba/massage caused the growth of the broken side to accelerate, and the dustings thickened the ends of the longer side.

Sept 24, 2006 (mirror image)

After numerous CO washes, wet buns, braidouts and a PhytoI texlax (touchup 4/4/07 after 8 month stretch – Thanks for reminding me about the strand test Ladies!) - I think the two sides have almost met each other!

April 26,2007 (mirror)

Sorry the first and last pics are SO BIG =). I just learned how to post pics.

Gotta learn how to post smilies next!!

Last edited:

loved

Thanks for the post. I have the same problem. The right side grows like weeds and is usually strong and healthy. The left side grows slowly and is way more fragile. Last month I gave up on constantly cutting the right to keep it even w/ the left. I'm going to let both sides come down at their own pace for a year and I'll see what happens.

Hair Iam

loved said:
Thanks for the post. I have the same problem. The right side grows like weeds and is usually strong and healthy. The left side grows slowly and is way more fragile. Last month I gave up on constantly cutting the right to keep it even w/ the left.
I'm going to let both sides come down at their own pace for a year and I'll see what happens.

I smell a "no evening out one side to match the other side" for 6 months challenge:lol:

IntoMyhair

my hair was just like that I cut it the end of April before starting the bootcamp second challenge and do you no that side looks like it's growing more again but I'll see after my next touch up

Hair Iam

IntoMyhair said:
my hair was just like that I cut it the end of April
before starting the bootcamp second challenge and do you no that side looks like it's growing more again
but I'll see after my next touch up

oh no.. I have to find an answer to this , I prayng for wisdom.

bellesocialite

My hair is very uneven. My left side is longer than my right and the difference is noticeable. I have a picture in the length shots in my album. I'll cut it even when I make APL. Until then, up in protective styles is goes to disguise the difference.
I also noticed that my left side (the longer one) cooperates more than the right

Golong

Yes...my left side is shorter than the right. I think its because I favor my left side when sleeping.

CAPlush

My left side is shorter than the right, but this is a result of relaxer damage that broke out large chunks of my hair. But only the middle of the back left section is broken out, so it is not noticeable even if I wear my hair down. The left side looks thinner, but not shorter. I hoped that one day it will catch up, but since I am not trimming I don't believe it will. I will do small trims when I reach my BSL goal, but as for now that chunk of hair is not bothering anybody...

Amour

My right is soo much longer irrespective of how many times I trim that side, if m hair grew like that all over i'd probably be BSL

Sophisto

my hair is like this also, but I believe it is due to wrapping my hair in the same direction for an extended period of time. So, when I change the direction of my wrap, the side that was weak is now strong. That has been my experience.

ShaniKeys

Yup:( my hair sometimes looks like I have a mohawk, I have 3b hair in the front and the back, but the rest is 4a/b, so apart from being a bit shorter, it also shrinks alot:perplexed I'm gonna get my hair braided this summer, hope it grows some

ToyToy

Yes, for some reason my left side is longer AND healthier than my right side. When I used to have really bad dandruff, it was more concentrated on my right side. I also have more split ends on my right side. Weird.