Anyone Here Relax at 8 weeks or under?

LadyJ76

I am new to stretching my relaxers and am doing it by adding a week or two to every new stretch. The last relaxer I had I was only able to make it to 8 weeks (which is good for me.) But I had a lot of shedding. I could hardly get the comb through my roots for the last two weeks and every time I washed I lost a lot of hair. Is there anyone here who has managed to grow their hair and maintain its health by relaxing at 8 weeks or less? I wanted to stretch this time to 9 or 10 weeks but it won't be worth it if I shed the way I did before.

nicki6

Eight weeks is my maximum because the shedding will increase dramatically. I tried several times to stretch further, but my hair was NOT having it:nono:

CoCoGirl821

This last time I stretching my relaxer I didn't get as much shedding (depending on the day), however, my hair has grown a lot faster(making the stretch more difficult). I would recommend not trying to comb your hair as much. I try to only comb when I am washing my hair using a wide tooth comb. This really cuts down in the shedding and breaking. Also doing roller sets and finding the perfect moisture and protein balance has really helped me. I am about 8 weeks post and I am trying to go for 9(we will see how that goes). But you should listen to you hair first before you listen to anyone else.

shocol

This is me! Ever since I joined LHCF in August, I can't make it past 8 weeks without a relaxer. Yesterday, I did something that is a no,no. I relaxed after 5 weeks. Why? I started using MSM and biotin and my newgrowth was out of control.

AKA-Tude

Sometimes I have under 8 wks even tho 8 wks is my limit ( I usually encounter much shedding if I go any longer).

Plus w/ using MN, waiting any longer than 8 wks was torture.

But with the newfound (for me) henna treatments, I can go a bit longer btwn retouches.

LadyJay114

i've gone 11 weeks, but the shedding was ridiculous... if i can find a moisturizer than can soften the new growth & strenghten the shaft, then I'd be able to stretch.

LadyJ76

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one like this. Frankly, I was starting to feel like a failure. I see so many on the board that only relax a few times a year and I wish that was me. My new growth comes in like a monster at about wk 3 or 4 all of the sudden it's there and it does not want to play. It's been even more so since joining LHCF, because of the vitamins I'm taking it seems to grow faster now. I am going to continue to go a long as I can w'o relaxing but I won't feel so bad if it's under 8 weeks.

sweetcashew

I do a touch up every 7 to 8 weeks. By then I have anywhere between 2 to 3 inches of new growth (depending on the season) so it works for me. Going longer than that is quite a challenge for me and definitely not worth the aggravation.
I've tried to and actually made it to 10 weeks but it was not easy at all and to much work. I also had a lot of shedding when I touched up.

LocksOfLuV

Me. I went up to 12 weeks and was doing that at a time, but that was miserable. Shedding, knots, tangles, just too much. I actually feel bad now relaxing at 8 weeks, because it feels 'too easy,' as weird as it sounds. I am going to find a middle ground between 8 and 12 weeks, but i honestly think 8 weeks is my cut off. I am on week 4 or 5 now and I can't wait to relax, the newgrowth is getting to me.

gymfreak336

I did 9 the last time and I thought I was going to die. I think I am going to stick to 8 for now one but right now I am about 6 and the newgrowth is killing me. Stretching causes too much breakage, and shedding for me. I lost more than I gain.

loveable37

I just currently recieved my relaxer(MOTION HERBAL)this weeks after 3 months strengh wat a job.Usually i wait until 10 weeks to self-relax my own hair,My next strengh goin to be 6 months hopefull everytime in june.:look:

PrincessDiva

nicki6 said:
Eight weeks is my maximum because the shedding will increase dramatically. I tried several times to stretch further, but my hair was NOT having it:nono:
I totally agree. Stretching is not for everyone and a major stretch is definitely not for the inexperienced. My hair grows very fast so streching beyond 8-9 weeks without braids equals more hair loss than gained . My first time streching (14 weeks)I had a large broken patch right at the demarcation line:eek: ....Do what works best for you. Listen to your hair. I would advise not relaxing less than 6 weeks but just make sure you`re not overlapping & all should be fine!!

Last edited:

peacelove

I do about 8 or maybe 9 weeks. I don't do well when I stretch. I have tried. Maybe when my front grows out some more. But for now, that is pretty much as long as I will go.

navsegda

LadyJ76 said:
I am new to stretching my relaxers and am doing it by adding a week or two to every new stretch. The last relaxer I had I was only able to make it to 8 weeks (which is good for me.) But I had a lot of shedding. I could hardly get the comb through my roots for the last two weeks and every time I washed I lost a lot of hair. Is there anyone here who has managed to grow their hair and maintain its health by relaxing at 8 weeks or less? I wanted to stretch this time to 9 or 10 weeks but it won't be worth it if I shed the way I did before.
I relax 8 weeks and under now and it works fine for me. I used to stretch relaxers when I was in college unintentionally because I'd get too caught up in school to worry about doing a touchup, so sometimes I'd go months without getting a relaxer. When I finally did get a touchup, the shedding was ridiculous and so was the hair that would come out in the shower. Even this summer I got lazy and went more than 10 weeks without relaxing just because I didn't feel like doing it or asking someone else to do it. Also, sometimes in the past I'd lose track of when I last had a touchup and that would result in stretching. All in all, I've found I have more shedding when I stretch longer than when I relax at 8 weeks or under. My hair grows very fast, so that could be another reason why I got the shedding when I stretched for long periods.

beana

Stretching is not for everyone, so dont feel bad. the way i see it, if you loose hair to breakage and shedding for the sake of going a few extra weeks, you're not gaining anything.

Zahrah

Before LHCF, I relaxed every 4-6 wks. Now, I relax every 8 wks and this last time I made it to 9 wks. 9 wks will probably be my limit b/c the tangles/ shedding and let's not forget the pain... Im tenderheaded, was not worth it. :eek::cry3::(

navsegda

beana said:
Stretching is not for everyone, so dont feel bad. the way i see it, if you loose hair to breakage and shedding for the sake of going a few extra weeks, you're not gaining anything.

What she said.

sugarose

I tried to stretch but I've learned it's just not for me. I even put braids in my hair at the 5 week mark for 1 month, and when I took out my braids, globs of my hair came out too, thats when I decided to listen to my hair and stop stretching.
Also, I am consistantly getting 1.5-2" of new growth every 4 weeks now, so I just give myself a touch up when I reach the 2 inch mark.
I'm sticking to what works for me. :)

Lavendar

CoCoGirl821 said:
But you should listen to you hair first before you listen to anyone else.

Can someone please make a sign out of this quote and SMACK me in the head with it!!!! If you hear me talking about stretching past 10 weeks or not trimming for longer than 3 months, just do it!!!:hammer:

Royal Glory

I am also new to stretching and right now I am right around 8 weeks, depending on the shedding and breakage. My goal is to try to increase from one relaxer cycle to the next, but I "listen" to my hair. If it is shedding too much or if the new growth is getting a harder to manage without damage, I'll touch up.

The attachment below was taken in November and shows one month's progress from my avatar. (The precious little one climbing over my shoulder is my 21-month-old grandson. He wanted the camera.)

Attachments

• siggy pic.jpg
    siggy pic.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

gradygirl

I tried stretching all year and the longest I went was 11 weeks and I had so much shedding it was scary. I've learned everyone hair is different and do whats best for your hair. I was one that use to relax every 4 weeks so I've come a long way even if I relax at 6 or 8 weeks its and accomplishment for me.