Anyone own "The Mane Clip" hair extension clip

ScarletPhoenix

I don't have a lot of money but I I might have to spend some on that. I like the versitility of it however I am concerned about how tight I would have to make my ponytail to make it small enough for me to have a huge bump when I wrap the weave around it. I would try it out though

SelfStyled

I have one- I used it once. It just didn't feel that comfy to me. It did feel very sturdy to me though. I may revisit it after seeing that youtube video though.

Jetblackhair

I have one but I could never get it to work properly. The section that holds the extension hair in was not tight enough, idk, maybe it was just me. :ohwell:

Thann

I bought it too after seeing it on Mane and Chic's Blog but could never get it to work right. She made a really cute bun using it, but I had a had time getting the track secures in the clip and getting the clip secured to my head. It was also way bigger than I thought it would be, for whatever reason I wasn't expecting that.

sweettrini

Okaaaaay!!! :perplexed I guess I will be the lone voice that actually...........loved that thing!!! I tell you the Mane clip got me through my transition!!! I have lots of ponytail pics in my fotki that show me using it with my hair pulled back or in braids.

The key for me was to use about 3/4 of a full track so whatever hair I bought at the beauty supply I would cut off the last 1/4 of the track and fold the track to the same width as the mane clip. My clip held the tracks securely and there are some plastic teeth along each edge of the clip. I made sure to gently press the teeth on the top edge of the clip into the top of my ponytail (almost to my scalp) to almost pin the mane clip in place in my hair. It held very securely for me. I have partied, gone to the beach (not swimming though) and worked out with my mane clip on. :rolleyes: I have 3 of them, a black, brown and gold and all 3 have worked for me. HTH!!

naturalmanenyc

Thanks! Glad you loved them. Do you still use them? If so, how do they work with shorter hair? The video makes it seems really easy.

Is it that simple to use?

What length track did you use? I was thinking 8" would be fine but based on the comments about the clip being really big, I'm wondering if 10-12" hair would be a better choice?

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

You just convinced me to buy one.:yep: $10 isn't too much to give it a try. If it works out, it'll be worth the price and then some. Thanks!

Okaaaaay!!! :perplexed I guess I will be the lone voice that actually...........loved that thing!!! I tell you the Mane clip got me through my transition!!! I have lots of ponytail pics in my fotki that show me using it with my hair pulled back or in braids.

The key for me was to use about 3/4 of a full track so whatever hair I bought at the beauty supply I would cut off the last 1/4 of the track and fold the track to the same width as the mane clip. My clip held the tracks securely and there are some plastic teeth along each edge of the clip. I made sure to gently press the teeth on the top edge of the clip into the top of my ponytail (almost to my scalp) to almost pin the mane clip in place in my hair. It held very securely for me. I have partied, gone to the beach (not swimming though) and worked out with my mane clip on. :rolleyes: I have 3 of them, a black, brown and gold and all 3 have worked for me. HTH!!

sweetpuff

I bought the mane clip this year. I really liked it.
I only bunned with it though because I could not get the tracks of the folded hair piece hidden well enough.

When I used it, I'd baggy my little bun, secure the plastic with an elastic (no rubbing my real hair) then put the clip, and twirl it around into a bun and secure it with a couple of bobby pins. It was quite secure with me.

I don't used anymore because I wear my real hair out now (ponytail, banana clip, satin scrunchy)and baggy at night. My christams gift might be a hairzing or two.

here is the visual on my fotki
http://public.fotki.com/sweetpuff/2009/march/

hope this helps

sweettrini

Thanks! Glad you loved them. Do you still use them? If so, how do they work with shorter hair? The video makes it seems really easy.

Is it that simple to use?

What length track did you use? I was thinking 8" would be fine but based on the comments about the clip being really big, I'm wondering if 10-12" hair would be a better choise?

RW - I haven't used them since my BC cause the front of my hair was too short to pull back into a ponytail :look:. I think now that it's grown out some, I'll be using them again this fall or winter. It is really easy to use. It takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. That includes putting the hair on the clip. If your hair can be pulled into a ponytail, you can use the mane clip! You can use any length track (and by track I mean the entire length of the weft of hair that comes in the bag). I only cut the last 1/4 so the hair coming out of the ponytail wouldn't be so thick and depending on the kind of hair you use once the track is folded to the length of the mane clip, it may be a bit too thick for the latch to close. As to length of the hair, you can use whatever your heart desires! :lachen:

You just convinced me to buy one.:yep: $10 isn't too much to give it a try. If it works out, it'll be worth the price and then some. Thanks!

GG - I think you'll like it!! I love my mane clips. I changed my look on a whim whenever I wanted and took them out at night to massage my scalp when I wanted.

Jetblackhair

I actually bought the Mane Clip because I saw the thread you started about it and your pictures.

Your hair looked really cute and it was a perfect match...loved it! :yep:

Now, I do think something is wrong with the clip I have. I just got a bad one. :ohwell:

DivaD04

The mane clip - hair extension clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_M96xaC4xo

I'm thinking about ordering it but the comments on youtube about it not being sturdy have me a bit concerned. Anyone own it? If so, what do you think?

It comes in a few different colors. The black clip is $9.99 but shipping is approx $6 with regular first class mail. It's not yet in stores.
www.themaneclip.com

Girrrrrrrrl, Thank you for this site!!!!! When I first tuned into the video, I was like what in the Sam He// is she going to do with that clip with weft hair!!!! I was a lil' skeptic but I cont. to tune in cuz, I did not want to assume the worst! I have to admit, that woman is pretty slick! I love what she did! My b'day had past....19th and I only bought myself a book b/c I didn't know what to get myself. I see the mane clip(s) and some hair will be my gift to myself. Thanks for posting!!! I'm off to purchase...can't wait....btw, what conviencey is it to have one of these ready to go when I go into labor. I'm going to have to have one in my bag when it's time for my trip to the hospital, this coming winter. you get 2 manicured thumbs and 2 pedicured toes up for this post!

hothair

I bought 2 a few months ago (black and brown)- I ended up going back to the old school method of wrapping the track around my pony to make a tail. The tracks kept showing through the top no matter how much I aligned it, and the extension bit of the clip kept popping out, plus it was bigger than I was led to believe from the youtube and website, its ok but if I'd rather just wrap hair round my pony I think that says a lot:nono::ohwell:

naturalmanenyc

Thanks!

How big is the mane clip? That seems to be a top complaint (it's big) in addition to it not being as easy to use as it looks in the video.

I bought 2 a few months ago (black and brown)- I ended up going back to the old school method of wrapping the track around my pony to make a tail. The tracks kept showing through the top no matter how much I aligned it, and the extension bit of the clip kept popping out, plus it was bigger than I was led to believe from the youtube and website, its ok but if I'd rather just wrap hair round my pony I think that says a lot:nono::ohwell:

SelfStyled

Hey RW,

Okay this thread inspired me to get out my mane clip and use it this week. I wore this all day today and it felt very comfy:yep:. I think the difference for me -- is that rather than try it with weft, I used a kids phony pony. It was very easy to use and very secure. The wind was blowing today, in addition to me really shaking my head to try to test the sturdiness. Hopefully this pic will give you an idea of the size of the barrette. I think you should give it a try. Thanks for this thread- cause the main clip was in the graveyard- but I think I will start wearing it now. For 9.99 you can't go wrong.

ETA: I added a few pic to my fotki if any one wants to see them

http://public.fotki.com/SelfStyled/2007/2008/the-mane-clip/

Last edited:

CocoBunny

The mane clip - hair extension clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_M96xaC4xo

I'm thinking about ordering it but the comments on youtube about it not being sturdy have me a bit concerned. Anyone own it? If so, what do you think?

It comes in a few different colors. The black clip is $9.99 but shipping is approx $6 with regular first class mail. It's not yet in stores.
www.themaneclip.comhttp://www.themaneclip.comhttp://www.themaneclip.comhttp://www.themaneclip.com
I LUV LUV LUV mine. I bought the black, silver, cream, brown and bling clips. The only one I regret buying is the bling, as it's chip looking. It's easy to use, feels VERY secure and is virtually undetectable. I love the ability to change the hair type, color, texture etc. I bought some wefted hair from Hairsister,cut a 18 inch weft, folded it on it self down to 6 inches, did a quick stitch job and it's good to go.

The clips are sturdy and have stood up to a lot of wear and abuse and look as good as the day I bought them.

HTH

DivaD04

Did you all purchase this from the website?

online, I did, 2 days ago i got the ebony and brown...
i wish i can try it as soon as it arrive in the mail, i won't be able to try it until i arrive to the states on Oct. 8th tho

ETA: for 2 it costs $28 bucks

SelfStyled

I LUV LUV LUV mine. I bought the black, silver, cream, brown and bling clips. The only one I regret buying is the bling, as it's chip looking. It's easy to use, feels VERY secure and is virtually undetectable. I love the ability to change the hair type, color, texture etc. I bought some wefted hair from Hairsister,cut a 18 inch weft, folded it on it self down to 6 inches, did a quick stitch job and it's good to go.

The clips are sturdy and have stood up to a lot of wear and abuse and look as good as the day I bought them.

HTH

Thanks for the feed back- so I know bling is not the way to go:lachen:- I think stitching might be key if you use wefted hair.

SweetNic_JA

HTH
I just got mine last week and this is exactly what I did. It works perfectly! With this clip I think I'm going to be able to retain my ends without weaves or lacefronts for the first time in a very long time.

SweetNic_JA

online, I did, 2 days ago i got the ebony and brown...
i wish i can try it as soon as it arrive in the mail, i won't be able to try it until i arrive to the states on Oct. 8th tho

ETA: for 2 it costs $28 bucks
You'll love the clips. Mine came in the mail last week and I haven't gone a day without it.

talata

I've got and looooove my mane clip. I use it mostly for buns - and oh, it's soooo pretty. I use it at least once every week. It really helps with me protective styling.

It is quite tricky getting the wefted hair to fit in the clip though - but that's my only compliant.