Anyone using Grapefruit seed extract???

tailormade84

Hey ladies,

Im trying to preserve my homemade sprays (2 oz of liquid) and shea butter mix (2 oz cream) with grapefruit seed extract.

Does anyone the exact amount of grapefruit seed extract (in drops) to add to these concoctions to preserve them?

Note: adding too much can lead to toxicity, yet adding too little can have no effect on preservation. :nono:

p.s. my brand of grapefruit seed extract is NUTRIBIOTIC.

Denise11

Why would you want to use something that if you use too much of it you can cause toxicity?!?!?

I dont understand the desperation.

KEWLKAT103

You can use up to 2% in your formulations. Depends on what your formula is and what your'e using it for.
Using it at 2% should not give you any skin irratation, but if you go with more than that, I don't know.
All the GSE I've seen is already mixed with glycerin, so the chance of you hurting your skin is not likely, unless you really go overboard with it.

tailormade84

Why would you want to use something that if you use too much of it you can cause toxicity?!?!?

I dont understand the desperation.

because its the cheapest preservative with the longest self-life and least offensive scent :yep: - all preservatives have toxcities, there is just more information on the proper dosages for essential than GSE.

You can use up to 2% in your formulations. Depends on what your formula is and what your'e using it for.

thanks for the info!!! But im not sure exactly how much 2% of 2 oz. is in drops.....there are so many different opinions as too how many drops are in one ounce :nono: - have you tried using GSE before as a preservative? I would assume to use 12 drops for 2 ounces......

KEWLKAT103

thanks for the info!!! But im not sure exactly how much 2% of 2 oz. is in drops.....there are so many different opinions as too how many drops are in one ounce :nono: - have you tried using GSE before as a preservative? I would assume to use 12 drops for 2 ounces......

Sorry, I'm just now getting back on.
Well, 1oz is about 600-650 drops.
2% of 650 is 13
That technically gives you 26 drops for 2oz.
However, I would not use the full 2%.
What liquids are you using with your shea butter? How long do you plan on having it around? If this is just for personal use and your'e not planning on keeping it hanging around forever, go with 10-13 drops for your 2 oz.

tailormade84

What liquids are you using with your shea butter? How long do you plan on having it around? If this is just for personal use and your'e not planning on keeping it hanging around forever, go with 10-13 drops for your 2 oz.

I usually keep my mix for about 2 weeks.
I add in coconut oil, castor oil, veg. glycerin and vit. E.

THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT ADVICE!!!!!!:grin::grin::grin: