Anyone with B/S length or longer self-relax?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am tired of searching for the right stylist and would like to try relaxing my hair myself. I remember doing this when I was a pre-teen and jacking my hair up, plus it was not thing long. I am thinking that it will be hard to do this length also. If someone who does this could give instructions, materials needed, and also your LYE relaxer recommendations, I would sho' appreciate it. /images/graemlins/grin.gifTHANKS!

MissM

Since you have not done this in a while and you said you jacked it up last time I don't think you should fool with this. There are several reasons that I self relax: 1) I absolutely refuse to pay someone $60 or more to put a $5 or $6 relaxer in my head, and only on my new growth at that! These relaxer prices are highway robbery, pure and simple. I have never understood how they justify these prices. 2) I can't trust just anyone with this-which makes it hard for people like us who won't let just anyone near our heads, especially involving chemicals! 3) I'm comfortable being able to navigate around my head. I'm able to relax, color and roller set my own hair without any problems-and do it neatly. I also use Cream of Nature Mild Lye Relaxer.

Don't risk the condition of your hair, which I'm sure must be healthy! Try to find someone. If you do find a stylist go on a day where they are not so busy so you have their undivided attention! Do you have friend that you trust who could apply it for you and do it quickly so that you don't get overprocessed? I'm worried that since you have not done this in a while you may overprocess your new growth and/or overlap.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Thanks Miss M. I will take that advice, but I'm feeling you on paying someone that much to do it for me. Plus, I have not found a stylist that I really like. I've got a few weeks though. Thanks a bunch /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jrw

My mother puts relaxer in my hair for me. The key is to have a lot of new growth that way it is easier to avoid overprocessing. The way to have better results is to follow the instructions exactly and to put vaseline around the hairline and on the scalp as needed. I use Beautiful Beginnings No Lye Relaxer.

LondonDiva

Supergirl

If you haven't done it or in the past you jacked it up, don't do it yourself. Even though I'm confident to do it my own hair it does take serious concentration, and skill and a steady hand to do it in the allotted time frame and that is a hard enough job.

For your area find out if anyone on here has gone to a salon that they definitely would recommend. interview stylists and watch how relaxers are applied in there are and take note. Write down some questions you would like to ask them and if they don't match up to the criteria then move on until you find one that you do like. Also bring your own products too.

If the salon is not the way you'd like to go then perhaps ask around in terms of family or friends if they know someone that relaxes hair or if they themselves can do it. If you see a lady with a nice relaxer, how about asking her where she gets it done and would she mind forwarding on their contact info.

Just a few ideas that might be of help /images/graemlins/laugh.gif