Apalus Straightening Brush

curlytwirly06

Sigh... How much heat is too much heat? I've got the blowout bug and want to use this brush again but with different products and without blow drying first. Y'all think that would be too much manipulation and heat in such a short period? I normally only use heat twice a year 6 months apart for length checks. This was my second time this year already. I kind of want to stretch my hair for Marley twists...

Maybe I should just do the twists to keep me from playing so much in my hair. Gahhh, this is why I shouldn't buy so many products and hair tools I always want to try it out and mess in my hair too darn much.

BklynHeart

Ok, I took the plunge and ordered it. I got the black one. :gorgeous:
I'm also 4C, thin density hair. But I sometimes need to straighten it to trim. This seems like it'll be much easier than using the blowdryer. My hair snags even with the comb attachment and it leaves my hair feeling stiff and dry.

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
Yesterday, I washed and steamed. Used SSI Coconut something or other Leave-In and Jakaela Silky Oil :love: and let it airdry overnight. Today, before brushing, I used some ORS Olive Oil Heat Protectant and Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Press that I've been having for about 29 years now. :lol: This jar will last forever.
Satin creme press is the bomb for me too, i stay stuck up.

naturalfinally

I ordered the Apalus Brush in pink. My tracking shows that it should arrive on Monday. Since my hair is thin on top, I'm hoping that with my hair straight I can still camouflage the thinness. I haven't straightened my hair since before 2009. If not, I can still use it for trims.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
It took me forever, but I finally tried the straightening brush that I bought off Groupon. Overall, I love the ease of using this tool. It is as easy as brushing your hair, and I got my whole head done (including thorough detangling) in an hour and a half. It did not get my hair silk press swinging straight, but it did get it very straight with just a little bit of texture, and it is incredibly soft. Some people may be able to get the same results from a blow dryer, but I never have because I am blow dryer challenged. So, this is a win for me.

The only downside to this tool for me was the cheap nature of the materials.It took about 4 tries for me to get it to turn on. Then, when I did, it kept turning itself off periodically. Also, one of the brush sticks and 11 of the little red nubs fell off as I was straightening my hair.

Lei-Lyn

Recovering PJ...
It took me forever, but I finally tried the straightening brush that I bought off Groupon. Overall, I love the ease of using this tool. It is as easy as brushing your hair, and I got my whole head done (including thorough detangling) in an hour and a half. It did not get my hair silk press swinging straight, but it did get it very straight with just a little bit of texture, and it is incredibly soft. Some people may be able to get the same results from a blow dryer, but I never have because I am blow dryer challenged. So, this is a win for me.

The only downside to this tool for me was the cheap nature of the materials.It took about 4 tries for me to get it to turn on. Then, when I did, it kept turning itself off periodically. Also, one of the brush sticks and 11 of the little red nubs fell off as I was straightening my hair.
I'm so happy to see an updated review, I literally just bought a straightening brush 2 days ago and was just saying in another post that I was afraid of using it. I haven't used heat in 14 mths and wanted to do a length check but chickened out lol. I saw that the brush is safer than blow drying and flat ironing which is why I got it... I'm glad you liked the results... most of the people on youtube and some of the ladies here liked them too which is encouraging to me. Eventually I will work up the courage to do my own head :giggle: Just curious, what heat setting did you set yours to and what products did you use before and after straightening if you don't mind sharing... :)

uofmpanther

I'm so happy to see an updated review, I literally just bought a straightening brush 2 days ago and was just saying in another post that I was afraid of using it. I haven't used heat in 14 mths and wanted to do a length check but chickened out lol. I saw that the brush is safer than blow drying and flat ironing which is why I got it... I'm glad you liked the results... most of the people on youtube and some of the ladies here liked them too which is encouraging to me. Eventually I will work up the courage to do my own head :giggle: Just curious, what heat setting did you set yours to and what products did you use before and after straightening if you don't mind sharing... :)
I described my whole process on my blog with pictures -http://www.silkendove.com/2016/06/hair-tool-review-straightening-brush.html

Lei-Lyn

Recovering PJ...

uofmpanther

@uofmpanther
Really Great Results.:up:

So are you planning on buying the Apalus one next or another Brand?

It will probably be a little better constructed. Were you able to put the 11 tips back on?

I ended up getting the Acevivi one without nubs. I'll do a review when I use it. I couldn't figure out how to get the nubs back on, but I didn't try very hard to figure it out.

krikit96

I saw these two... both are apalus, but one claims to be ceramic (although in that model I don't see where you can adjust the heat setting )

Which one should I be ordering ladies?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160829-002522.jpg
    Screenshot_20160829-002522.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20160829-002438.jpg
    Screenshot_20160829-002438.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20160829-002751.jpg
    Screenshot_20160829-002751.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 26

krikit96

Well...since nobody had an update for me from last night, I already got it delivered this afternoon (Prime!)
I'll be trying this on my daughter... yaaaaaz!
I hope I got the right one, seems to be 2 versions.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@krikit96 I have the third one pictured in pink. I was not able to log in last night due to error messages with the server. I haven't used the Apalus in a while. The last time I used it, it gave me a blow out look. I had the temp on 375. My hair requires high heat to get it straight, but at that time I just wanted to ditch the blow dryer.

krikit96

@krikit96 I have the third one pictured in pink. I was not able to log in last night due to error messages with the server. I haven't used the Apalus in a while. The last time I used it, it gave me a blow out look. I had the temp on 375. My hair requires high heat to get it straight, but at that time I just wanted to ditch the blow dryer.
I was afraid I was getting the wrong one... :(
Thanks for responding... I'm trying to figure if this is the newer or older version.

IronButterfly

I had to re-think my opinion about this brush and gave it a two star rating on amazon. I found I was having to manipulate it way too much to get it through my low density, non-thick hair. It kept snagging the ends of my hair, too, regardless of how combed out the hair was. Well, Apalus was so concerned about my low rating they voluntarily sent out the updated version of the brush, the ceramic, rectangular shaped one. I washed my hair yesterday, so I'll have to wait until next weekend to give my review on it. I like they moved the temp control switches to the back of the brush to prevent constant changing of the temp. The temp also locks in place. It also comes with a glove to protect your fingers. So, I'll be back next week.

IronButterfly

Both of my brushes are gathering dust, too! lol The jury's still out on the 2nd one. I was in a hurry when I tried it, and first impressions are not impressed. I'll try it again when I can actually take my time. I will say that the glove they sent "sounds" rough when I slide it down my ends. I didn't notice any breakage, but that sound left me feeling uneasy.

frizzy

I actually pulled mine out and used it last night. Earlier I had washed, DC'd and dried under the hooded dryer. I didn't use a lot of leave-in on my braid and curl sections so the take down got real puffy. I had an early appt. this morning so I whipped out the brush, sprayed my sections with heat protection and used the brush at 330 degrees. It took me about 15-20 minutes to do.

I am bored with the straight hair already but I think I will put some flexis in tonight like Chaka Khanian did in her video and see how it turns out for tomorrow.

This may be my third time using the brush since I got it last Spring.