straightening brush

Glamorous_chic

has anyone used a straightening brush before? i did a search on youtube and couldnt find any videos. i first saw this brush when i visited a aveda salon and recently picked it up at my local bss.

http://www.bathandunwind.com/img/products/3998.jpg

i think its supposed to help straighten the hair when blow drying. anyone have this type of brush and what are your reviews?

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I have a comb like this for straightening ...... I haven't use it for that..... I remember using it once though but right now I can't remember why.......hmmm....now it just sits there... but it was made well

Muse

I JUST got this in the mail from ebay. I wouldn't use it on wet hair but I bought it for flat ironing. I got it because I saw Brittany use it. I am about to flat iron now and will report back when I finish.

ETA: Don't let fear determine what you try or not. Give it a shot. Try it on a small section and if you don't like it junk it. I think you should at least try it though. It's not like the bristles are made of razor blades, lol!

Last edited:

Glamorous_chic

^^ thanks. oh no i would not try it on wet hair. i was thinking of air drying hair first, and after detaingling hair, using it with the blowdryer to help straighten already dry hair or with flat ironing. i tried it on a small section of dry hair in the back, and it wasnt that bad... im still air drying my hair right now though.
edited: meant i wouldnt try on wet hair.

Last edited:

MsBoinglicious

Yes I use one, but mine is by Nexxus though. I got (more like I stole lol) my technique from Silvergurl/Emgurl1234! That's how I get my hair so straight/silky. The trick is to "pre straighten" the hair before you use it (by stretching, banding, braids, twist, blow-dry, etc). You can't use that on natural,-dripping wet-curly-kinky-shrunken up hair !!!*yikes* That’s a set back ready to happen. Use it on light damp hair (like 80-90% dry) if you are only using a blow-dryer with it and 100% dry and “pre-straighten” when using a flatiron to do the ‘Chase Method'.

Here's a GREAT tutorial!!! I always refer people to her video when they ask how I get my hair straight! HTH...Enjoy!
YouTube - emgurl1234's Channel

Last edited:

Glamorous_chic

^^ omg thanks soo much for the link. thats exactly what i was looking for, but couldn't find any videos and wasn't sure the exact name of the brush or how to use it. thanks again.

Muse

Ok I used it to flat iron (replaced the comb for the comb-chase method) and I love it! It really gave my hair a silkier feel and because of the tension that it provides I was able to straighten my roots a lot better.

BoingBoing is right make sure your hair is pre-straightened VERY well. I am a natural 4ba and the night before I blow dried on cool using the tension method. This stretches my hair but doesn't get it super straight. The hair on the back of my head is really tight so I got it stretched but not good enough for the brush, it got stuck.:ohwell: When I got to the looser parts it worked like a dream and went through my hair with no problem. Got my ends nice and straight. Next time I will straighten my hair better with the blow dryer.:yep:

Fine 4s

I use it on my clients and I can't tell the difference between the small tooth comb vs. this brush. Also, some clients don't like how it tugs at their scalp (which is why I'm afraid to use it on me.) Before I use it, I test it on an area of their head that is not so sensitive. After a few tests, I ask them shall I continue using it vs. using the comb. They all say 'change it.' So, for clients it's not so hot.

I also learned about it through Brittany's flatiron tutorial.

So far, I prefer my comb.