Apl Naturals Get in Here

bludaydreamr

There are a lot of factors that play into growing hair; like the others say don't compare your hair to others just continue to do what is best for your hair and you will see the results.

I'm a 4a. These are a few of my pics from SL which to me was 22 months post relaxer to APL which was between 36-40 months post-relaxer:

Attachments

• comic.jpg
    comic.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 42

TootiePie

I have a sort of stupid question. I have been on a weight loss journey since New years, and I am currently at 48 lbs loss. Pre weight loss I think my neck was shorter lol and I was approaching APL at around Feburary. Then the weight started falling off and my hair started to look shorter and by April I wasn't APL anymore.. But I still had all my length. Fast forward to now. My hair falls on my body almost exactly where it did in February but I have gained some length. This is all because my neck "grew" right? I have been natural 21 months and I have about 10 inches of hair. My length checks are slowly turning me into a crazy person.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
At my 2 year mark which was 2007, I had shoulder length natural hair. I started with less than 1/2 an inch of hair back 2005. I have type 4a/b hair.

carameldelight87

As a couple people have said, your height and neck length play apart in where APL is for you. I also strongly believe your weight/size plays apart. I'm big girl with a big back, yet I still have a decent sized neck. So for example, let's say most women who claim APL on this board have around 10" of hair from their nape to APL. My APL is more like 13" from the nape to APL.

I'd say APL, BSL, MBL, etc are great ways to see your length in a big picture but the true measurement is by inches.

Also, you should factor in, when asking us that question, things like involuntary setbacks. I know I had one in October of last year.

If your friend wants to compare hair, compare health. She could have a head full of damaged, dry hair and that would impress no one. :nono:

LongLeggedLife

I was a layered APL at about a year& a half and scraping BSL@2year mark, grown from a shaved back/side Rihannaish cut.
I have only dusted it, no real trims after the relaxed ends were gradually cut over about 6months time.

Last edited:

BrookeLynn

I'm 21 months post relaxer. APL for me is like 9.5-10 inches. My hair is about 9 inches now stretched. I have major shrinkage though so I only see that length when my hair is blown out and flatironed.

I didn't BC- I mini chopped along the way. Had i held on to those scraggely relaxed ends I'd be BSL approaching MBL. My hair was past SL when I decided to stop relaxing.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I'm not APL anymore (see siggy) but from the date of my last relaxer to May of this year when I was pretty much APL (less than 1/2 inch) it was a year and seven months. That included about 3 or so "dustings". Everyone's growth rate is different, also I've noticed that some people have growth spurts ( I think I had one in the spring). You also have to take retention into account.

moore.1506

I'm APL and natural (just barely) took my 2 years exactly of no perm, 1 year completly natural to APL

From everything I have learned on this site, we probably all grow about the same but retention might just be different. Also height and body proportion plays a big part. My armpits are very close to my neck, but I have kinda big boobs so it is gonna take a grip for me to reach BSL.

So yea like everyone has said it's too many variables.

Whimsy

A comment was made to me last night. I'm approaching my 2 year mark and I will probably be apl. The family member said "your hair should be longer cause you been natural longer and my hair is almost apl". This person went natural after as a result of my encouragement. Her hair is in the 3 family.
So I want to ask your hair type and what length was your hair at the 2 year mark. For me I'm a 4b but my hair use to grow quickly when I was relaxed. It would have taken me 1 year to reach apl relaxed. I know everybody has different growth rates I'm just curious. I think kinky hair grows slower than looser textures.

Well, I'm 3c. I BCed in June of 2009, my last relaxer was August 2007. My hair was APL when stretched on my BC day. It took me 22 months. So basically 2 years. I grow at the "normal" rate of 1/2 inch a month, and I retain almost all of what I grow.
If you're 4b and in the same place I was, then I'm not sure how much the texture has to do with it. Sounds normal to me to be at apl after 2 years.