APPLE CIDER VINEGAR?

Jade21

Carmella,

You should check back in the archives for this one. MSCHICHI had a wonderful post about her many uses of apple cider vinegar (ACV) in her hair routine. It was one of my favorite posts ever!

To answer your question specifically, I would say softness, manageability (few tangles), especially if your water is hard. I would add less of a need or no need to clarify your hair. Generally, I use two commercial herbal rinses which are ACV-based, but I have also used Eden brand ACV (organic) and regular, grocery-variety ACV which also work well.

The other real benefit of an ACV rinse concerns your scalp which is just as important as its benefits to your hair....healthy scalp, healthy hair.

If you are using straight ACV (no herbal rinse), I would recommend that you use a really weak mix...just a bit of the ACV with lots of water (distilled is really the best to use). You might want to try a teaspoon to 8oz water.

Happy New Year to you,

Jade

Miss Montserrat

Supposedly, Vinegar has a lower ph than even water so many people who use it use it after a chemical service (i.e. relaxer, color) to normalize the ph balance of the hair (which usually skyrockets after a chemical service is performed).

MSCHICHI

Carmella,

I have been meaning to respond to your post, but I have been really busy, and it took me long time to find my old post. It was all the way back in April 2002 in the Archives! Here is a re-post of the info, I hope you all find it useful.

Thank you again for the compliments Jade! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACV has several purposes:

-restores and helps balance the hair's ph
-helps to clarify the hair (more mildly, not as intensely as baking soda or clarifying shampoos)
-seals the cuticles
-helps detangle

Given this, you can use it at different times in the wash for different purposes.

I follow Selah's Tangle buster routine, which has 2 ACV steps. Step one has ACV, conditioner, oils and a little reconstructor, mixed with water and poured on right before shampoo. This would help balance ph, mildly clarify the hair, and help detangle.

Part 2 has ACV, oils and cold water, poured on after the conditioner as a last rinse, and not rinsed out. This would help restore ph levels, seal the cuticles, and further help detangle.

So I use it 2 times, almost every time I shampoo, and it has worked wonders on my hair. Other people may have different explanations, and different takes on this, but this information is accurate as far as I know. HTH

I have no idea where Selah is now, but she stopped posting a while before the Classic board ended on LHL. I still greatly appreciate her for this recipe!

Selah’s Tangle Buster Routine

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=44292&messageid=1006618770

She also said that you have the option of adding 2 TBSP of any reconstructor to the 1st batch.