Application time vs. Smoothing

S

Stylepink

I cant't quite figure out which is more important. Is it the amount of time you leave a relaxer on or, is it the smoothing that relaxes the hair?

My last sylist (who I don't go to anymore) states that if you leave a relaxer on without smoothing, "it will do its job"!

Whats ya'll experience and knowledge about this?

definitely smoothing. when i self relaxed using super strength i noticed the part that i smoothed and combed through is straight and looks perfect and the other parts that i didnt smooth too much and didnt comb through at all is wavy as heck.it looks texturized.

Smoothing makes the difference. There are some portions that I don't smooth, because I'm lazy and they aren't as straight as the other sections that I've smooothed. I usually apply the perm first and then go back and smooth.

[ QUOTE ]
I cant't quite figure out which is more important. Is it the amount of time you leave a relaxer on or, is it the smoothing that relaxes the hair?

My last sylist (who I don't go to anymore) states that if you leave a relaxer on without smoothing, "it will do its job"!

Whats ya'll experience and knowledge about this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Your stylist is correct, according to Shamboosie

My stylist also said the same thing. I asked him if he was going to smooth and he replied, "Let the chemicals do their work!" Of course, my hair is texturized as a result, which I love, so I guess it is a good thing in this case. My previous stylist smoothed/plastered my hair to my head. Since my last relaxer wasn't smoothed, I see that my hair is full and full of body! I guess it all depends on the results you want.

So there are 4 different textures one could get in the end depending on what is done, so either you:
1. Just leave it in
2. Smooth it only
3. Comb through only
4. Comb and smooth

[ QUOTE ]
Does she comb it Allandra?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. Just puts it on the new growth. Let it do it's job. Then rinse it out. At one time, she used to use her fingers to smooth, but not any more.

When I touch-up my texturized hair, I apply and then I go through and comb (the newgrowth only) with a fine tooth comb. If I don't comb through--it's almost like the relaxer doesn't work!?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. Just puts it on the new growth. Let it do it's job. Then rinse it out. At one time, she used to use her fingers to smooth, but not any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does she let it stay on longer, since she is not smoothing it?

oh yeah, when i use to use no lye relaxers they didnt require too much smoothing and they got my hair BONE STRAIGHT! but with lye it requires alotttt more work.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does she let it stay on longer, since she is not smoothing it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope because I don't want my hair to get too straight. I like having the option of wearing my hair wavy.

I guess it all depends on your hair texture and the results that you want to get. When I self relax, I just use my fingers to smooth, and it turns out kind of texturized which is what I want. I'm a 4a/b, so If I just leave the relaxer on it will texturize just a little. If someone has hair that is type 2, I don't think they have to smooth that much, or at all to get it texturized because it would probably straighten it too much. Just my 2 cents.

Back