Humectants, I finally get it!(long)

scorpian

Ok, I was searching through some old posts this weekend and I came across the thread titled ::Naturals-What products do you use for moisture

In the thread there was a post by Delightful Flame the quote from her post is below

" watch out for humectants in cold weather. While in warm weather, they pull the moisture from the air to your hair...in cold weather it is just the opposite. They pull moisture from your hair into the air. So be careful with these!"

Thank you soooo much Delightful Flame now I finally get it!!:grin: This is why products that are working well in the warmer months suddenly seem to not work as well when it gets cold.Honey or glycerin based products and humectant conditioners are great when it's warm and cholestrol and moisturizing conditioners are good when it's colder.

The Jamaican mango and lime products are designed to extract moisture from the air and put it into your hair, but keep in mind these too are humectants.If the weather is not hot you may notice your hair feeling drier over time because the product is pulling the moisture from your hair out into the environment .This product would work well if you live in a climate that is hot all yr long but if you don't you MAY to pull these out only in the warmer months and discontinue their use during the winter.

I have read so many posts where we( I have posted this too) are saying that products were working so well and then suddenly they don't work even after clarifying.This could be why.Now that I understand how humectants really work I can use them when they will be the most beneficial for my hair(summer) and put them away when they are not(winter).
I know that not everyone is going to agree with me on this but it if helps at least one of you then it's all good:)

Last edited:
hmmm, verrrrrrrrry interesting. I haven't used cholesterol in like 5years...i will get some for the fall/winter. I do notice my conditioners/leave-ins aren't working during the cold months but i dindt know what it was...

Back