Natural Heat Protectants???

naturalgurl

I guess I'm just a chicken when it comes to commercial products. When I used heat activated leave-ins to flat iron my hair my hair would shed. Then I tried other commercial heat protectants and my hair shed. I was relaxed then so maybe my fear is unfounded now that I'm natural. I'm just afraid of losing my hair after all of this trial and error in the past. It's now in the best shape it's EVER been in. I'm not preaching against BSS products but you have to understand, my hair grew like crazy and would fall out. Using all natural I have yet to see that. I wish my hair wasn't so finicky. It's like having a baby that is sensitive to milk. You try other stuff and find out he can keep soy down. Then others say hey, try this milk, it wont' upset his stomach. You sort of want to stay with what you know...KWIM? I just need to try and see what happens. Thanks for the support and discussion!

msa

:couchfire: BE CAREFUL STRAIGHTENING YOU HAIR WITH OIL REMEMBER ALL OILS HAVE TEMPERATURE IN WHICH THEY BURN SO REMEMBER TO CHECK THE BURN TEMP OF THE OIL AND KEEP YOU FLAT IRON LOWER THAN THAT TEMP

I forgot to come back and update.

I don't flat iron my hair so I'm not really worried about high heat. I did end up blow drying one section of my hair. The night before I washed and added coconut oil (a lot) then braided up. In the morning my hair was stretched out. So then I blowdried a small section on low (kind of warm).

I have no reason to use heat since all my styles are airdried so this was just a test to see what would happen. It wasn't hot at all but my hair did get pretty straight.

thinkpinkprincess

has anyone tried Nexxus heat protexx? it has cones I think but the ingredients actually looked really good! it has ceramides in it and some other goodies

Lucky's Mom

Using a single cones product on the rare occasion is not gonna do any harm. I mean seriously. I think that cones have gotten such a bad rap on this board that there are a lot of misconceptions going around.

Cones in it self are not bad. The problems that can occur are from too much build up which can block out moisture. Products that contain cheap ingredients (ie. petroleum, alcohol) and cones thus getting locked into the hair (by the cones), causing dryness or breakage. Also frequent cone use can hide damage; Although in itself they are not damaging. There are those people, who just do not like the coated feeling on their hair. And then you have those who say that their hair rejects cones.

Now not ALL cones protect from thermal heat. Some cones will break down under a certain temperature. So it is imperative that the product you use for heat styling states that it is for HEAT PROTECTION.

Buy a quality heat protector and you wont have to worry about crappy ingredients getting locked into your strands and creating havoc on the hair. Or you can buy a straight up cone product, which don't contain any fillers or added ingredients such as, Moisture block, The End by Maxius or IC hair polish.

DO NOT use oil as a heat protection. Please. Oil + heat = sizzle sizzle.

I Totally agree with this. I am a HUGE believer in Natural and organic products.
HOWEVER... When it is tim to flat iron - I am not going to fry my hair...
Silicones are vital to that protection. I don't over do it... and It washes out just fine with Castile Soap.

Lucky's Mom

I guess I'm just a chicken when it comes to commercial products. When I used heat activated leave-ins to flat iron my hair my hair would shed. Then I tried other commercial heat protectants and my hair shed. I was relaxed then so maybe my fear is unfounded now that I'm natural. I'm just afraid of losing my hair after all of this trial and error in the past. It's now in the best shape it's EVER been in. I'm not preaching against BSS products but you have to understand, my hair grew like crazy and would fall out. Using all natural I have yet to see that. I wish my hair wasn't so finicky. It's like having a baby that is sensitive to milk. You try other stuff and find out he can keep soy down. Then others say hey, try this milk, it wont' upset his stomach. You sort of want to stay with what you know...KWIM? I just need to try and see what happens. Thanks for the support and discussion!

Baby sis... You should try Sabino Moisture Block. It is very good.

glamazon386

has anyone tried Nexxus heat protexx? it has cones I think but the ingredients actually looked really good! it has ceramides in it and some other goodies

I bought it at some discount store for $3 and I like it. It worked better for me than the Fantasia IC one I was using. I tried to go back and buy up the rest of their bottles but they were all gone. :ohwell: