Are split ends unavoidable?

porkypig007

I should probably have put this in my other post but I just thought of it. But will split ends occur no matter what? 'cuz see, I'm dousing my ends in mad moisture. I'm crazy serious about keeping my hair moisturized and everything. And I'm trying to accumulate major lenght, ya know, and to see how long I can and not have to trim, ya know? But I hear you should get a trim "at least" once in whatever period of time. So is the all-evil split end inevitable then? 'cuz after I get one in February (only because some idiot guy in the hair salon told me to "clip my ends" I felt so bad! Moron!) so yeah, after that one, I'm trying to not get one until like, August? I plan on getting very aggressive with the moisture though. So is it possible or will I get split ends anyhow?

LondonDiva

That's a hard one, cause everyone's hair is so different.
I do believe that they can be avoided without using heat and using a lot of moisture on the end to prevent them from occuring. So yes they can be kept at bay for a long while. For me with ot without moisture they've never been a problem, whereas for some they happen no matter what.

My advice is to trim a tiny little bit when you need to. It's better to do that, than hang on that bit longer to see how far you can get away without trimming for a while. Trim a tiny bit comb through, if it needs a lil more then trim a lil more. Do tiny little snips don't go for the 1/4 inch or so straight away, sometimes less is more.

pebbles

Hi Porkypig007,

My guess would be that split ends are unavoidable. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Split ends occur with regular wear, combing, weather, etc. You can minimize them by paying close attention to your ends, and protecting, moisturizing them as much as possible, but you will get them any way. Oh well, such is life... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tebby1017

I think as wih anything that ages, split ends can occur. It's like wearing your favorite clothing(i.e. your favorite jeans or top)...eventually it wears down /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

One thing that I do things really retards the split ends from making a nasty appearance is the proper mix of protein (aids in giving hair strength) and moisture. Wearing the hair protected from rubbing against clothing or harsh weather, IMO, also prevents split ends, along with not handling too much, and taking extra care with the ends since they are the oldest part of the hair.

Tebby