Are there any naturals that...

moriahar

wear straight hair more often then they do in it natural state?

I'm asking because I am over 10 months into what I thought was going to be a stretch but decided a few months ago that this is really a transition.

I'd like to go natural because I got tired of relaxing my hair and getting damage especially in the back of my head. I am excited that some day I will be able to wear my hair in its natural curly state. But I also like the fact that I will be able to wear straight styles as well.

So my question is, are there any naturals that still prefer to wear straight style the majority of the time? Or do you feel that this defeats the purpose of going natural?

I believe you should do what you want to do. Some people don't like relaxers but like their hair straight. It's ultimately the choice of the person what to do w/ their own hair.

I'm 25 wks into my transition to natural and I wear my hair straight more than curly. I like to change it up. My reason for going natural was because I hated relaxing my hair so I flat-iron when I want to wear it straight. I say do whatever makes you happy :yep:

I only wore my hair and braided and straightened for 5 out of the almost 6 years I have been natural. I was happy with it, but I didn't go natural for "a purpose".

This year I was feeling more textured looks but there are other years where I have straight phases where I definitely wore my hair straight more then anything else....its all about what I'm feeling like.

You also have to take into consideration if your hair can handle it, my hair can definitely handle high heat regularly and still retain length so I just do what I feel.

I do.
I just BC:ed and although I'm loving my new found curls I'm not yet comfortable wearing them out (to short).

So I'm flat ironing until I get more length.

I switch it up, but most if my friends who are natural wear it straight most of the time. I think it's nice to have options and doesn't necissarily defeat the purpose of being natural even if you wear it straight.

:wave:Natural checking in. For the several years that I have been natural, I can definitely say that I have worn my hair more straight than in its natural state...I was a transitioner, never did a BC and I alternated between straight styles and braid/twist outs...Once I was fully natural, I began flat ironing (every now and again wearing wash n go's- which was a fool for my hair:nono:). For me, I love the versatility of being natural and I also love the strength and thickness that comes along with my natural hair...I am someone who dyes my hair, so for me relaxing and dyeing it on the regular did not equal good hair health. I let go of the relaxer to gain strength and thickness and also to be able to continue dyeing it with less damage.

I wear my hair straight most of the time. No damage. No problems. I started a new job in November, and most people there don't even know I'm natural. This summer I'll wear it curly more often, but this winter, I've been flat ironed every weekday.

I'm transitioning too (9 months) and I wear my hair straight 100% of the time. I can't wear it any other way without tangles. I also have 50/11 textures from slightly wavy to super-curly to just "frizzy" and it looks crazy stupid if it isn't straight. I'll revisit wash'n'go when I get to mbl/wsl. and cut off the processed ends.

Last edited:
In the past it mostly depended on my mood... But right now--I wear my hair straight. The longer my hair becomes the more tangles I deal with wearing it curly. I plan to revisit wash n gos in the summer but will most likely rely on straightened/stretched styles to maintain my progress.

In the winter I mostly wear my hair straight. I find it hard to deal with wet long hair in the winter time. In the spring I go back and forth - one week straight, one week curly. I like the variety of going back and forth. In the summer its mostly curly because its so hot out that I like to wet my hair every day. Fall is the same thing, back and forth styles.

I went natural to wear my hair curly 24/7. Then again I really had no idea what it felt like to care for natural hair. Wearing it curly in the winter time is a little more challenging because my curls don't hang the same due to the weather. A steamer helps BIG TIME by the way. As your hair grows you will find that all natural hair doesn't behave the same and you'll have to tweak your regimen as you go along. Some people can wear their hair curly 24/7, 365 days a week with no problem. I am not one of those people, wish I was!

Back