Are Vitamins a Must ???

Poutchi

Hello everyone
I have been on my hair journey for almost 2 years now and I was doing good I think. Well I still can't complain since I went though a big chop last summer and my hair is growing up nicely...But I still think my growth is not optimal for an almost 2 years post relaxer head...
Lately I have been reading about vitamins and I have realised that most people who gives me hair envy do use some sort of vitamins in their daily routines...
So my question is : are vitamins a must for optimal hair growth and health?
Ladies who take vitamins, please answer the following questions for motivation for me:
- How does your current hair state compare to its state before you started taking vitamins? Did it change? Did you get any positive results?
- what vitamins worked for you?
- How long did it take to get noticeable results?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and answer this.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Well, I know myself and most other women raved during pregnancy about hair strength and growth. After? Whining about how the hait is lost. I think that was the only time my hair was bet shoulder and apl.

I attribute it to taking prenatal vitamins. Most of us stop after the baby is born or nursing.

Whenever I consistently take them not only does my fine 4c hair start growing like rapunzel as do my nails, I lose weight! Its all probably due to some deficiency.

Id say that for many vitamins are necessary for health in general mostly because the foods on the shelves leaves us deficient no matter how well we eat. Farmers radiate the foods which kills bacteria but also cooks out most nutients.

I've decided to add supplements to my diet as I want to feel better as well as grow my hair and nails... hopefully this will put me back on track.

prospurr4

Hi Poutchi,
It's gonna be a little hard for me to answer your questions because when my hair was a mess (before 2007), my diet was messed up too and I wasn't taking any vitamins/supplements.

In 2007, I started taking supplements, because I was getting sick often and decided to take steps to boost my immune system. I was already exercising 2-3 days a week. Shortly afterwards, I noticed a improvement in the health of my body AND my hair. Around the same time, I found LHCF and started taking better care of my hair, with weekly DCs, moisturizing and sealing ends, protecting ends, covering hair at bedtime, etc. I made it to MBL, but was stuck there for 2 years.

So, late 2011, I added "green" drinks to my diet and more fruit. I also began trimming my hair every 2-3 months, instead of once per year. Since then, my hair is softer, thicker and some strands reach WL.

So, my progress can be attributed to ALL OF THESE: better diet, exercise, vitamins/supplements and better hair care practices. A healthy body produces healthy hair.

The vitamins I take include a multi, spirulina, chlorella, and MSM.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Well, I take vitamins to boost my overall health. Since I know I don't get all of my nutrients from the foods I eat, vitamins are a personal 'must-have' for me. When I took the phyto vitamins my hair grew in silkier, and when I took biotin, my hair grew faster.

There's no vitamin or nutrient that I know of that pinpoints a specific function in your body... so you're better off taking them for other reasons as well...

me-T

after stopping for a long time, i say yes ma'am they're a must. for the past 3 or 4 months i've been consistent with just a prenatal vit, and the difference in growth is noticeable

lamaria211

i would say they do help out alot but also ddrinking water and eating healthy are equally important. hth

I've tried biotin and MSN and Hair, Skin and Nails pills, but I'm not sure they really helped my hair all that much. Now I just use a general multivitamin for my overall health. How I treat my hair on the outside seems to have a bigger effect on its health and state.