Are You Combing Out Your Rollersets?

Do You Comb Out Your Rollersets?

• Total voters

Isis

Or do you remove your rollers and finger-style? With the exception of a couple of times last year to see what my hair does, I have not been combing my rollersets out. I was assuming this is common until an acquaintance mentioned that her stylist always combs out her rollerset when her hair has dried (I know, stylists probably always do anyway) and she can't imagine not combing it out.

How about you? Do you comb or finger-style after removing your rollers? How does your method benefit your hair and hairstyle?

Vitality

I finger comb my rollerset. I hate when my hairstylist comb out my curls. My hair looks fuller and my curls are more controllable when I finger comb them.

wadadligyal

I finger comb b/c i am only trying to comb my hair when its wet. That way I avoid lots of breakage and so far finger combing has been working great curls last longer too

Isis

Nappy-hijabi said:
yes i comb it out...i rollerset it jus to dry it!
I rollerset mine just to dry it too! I've been using my fingers though to style it, whether it's for a bun or using caruso rollers.

How is combing it out working for you, Nappy-hijabi? Have you tried not combing it? BTW, your hair is growing very quickly and looks so pretty!

Last edited:

Isis

sylver2 said:
I immediately wrap after rollersetting
Sylver2, I totally forgot there could be other options after rollersetting, thanks for sharing yours!

Now wrapping is something I haven't tried yet. It's a technique I'm going to have to study and practice one of these days until I get it right. I would want the easiest and safest wrapping technique possible.

Nappy-hijabi

Isis said:
I rollerset mine just to dry it too! I've been using my fingers though to style it, whether it's for a bun or using caruso rollers.

How is combing it out working for you, Nappy-hijabi? Have you tried not combing it? BTW, your hair is growing very quickly and looks so pretty!

Isis...truss me i cant do without not combing it out!....its jus there..lol..it is very difficult,to get it in a bun i need to brrush it, my hair is stl very short! and thanx..did u see the april pic?i gat the rollerset pics there

~Nigeria~

After my rollerset, my stylist wraps my hair. I don't like a lot of curls and it's still nice and full when I comb my wrap out.

Mom23

I finger comb. this allows the curls to last longer and hides my new growth when I have alot. I usually wear it curly for 2 days and then some type of updo and wash again. I am trying not to use any direct heat. :look:

edited to add: you can see a pic of my rollerset in my avatar. Just took out the rollers and finger combed.

VelvetRain

Comb my hair? Ah naw. That is asking for breakage. I just finger comb mine out. I only use a comb when it's time to detangle and smooth out my ends for setting.

princesmich

I comb mine out but when i'm around 7 weeks post relaxer i put in a bun with the curls at the top pinned up and a bang makes a great style.

RabiaElaine

Normally I comb it out to wrap my hair. But as part of my new regimen I'm going to not comb it out and wear my curls in an updo. I'm doing this to cut down on manipulation and to force myself to not wear my hair down as much as possible.

macherieamour

I comb out my sets and wrap if I want a straight look. To prevent breakage, I use some ORS olive oil on small sections and then comb out with a wide tooth comb. In the morning, I flat iron my new growth and about 3/4 of the length (not the ends) for a sleek look.

gradygirl

I rollerset my hair in candy curls. After taking the rollers out I just shake my head a few times finger comb if needed and go. The curls fall a little more each day.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I finger comb mine or just separate the curls a little w/ my fingers. I like that look better than a comb out. None of my stylists ever comb my sets out either.

Cincysweetie

I usually finger comb, but it does depend somewhat on the style I'm doing. If I want to do a rollerwrap, then I comb/brush it out. If I'm wearing the style curly from a regular rollerset or from using my carusos, I finger comb, pull apart the curls. Usually towards the later days of my rollerset I comb my hair out cause it starts to get tangly.

Isis

This is very interesting ladies, thank you for your responses. There's almost as many who comb out their rollersets as those who use just their fingers. :)

All of the techniques you shared so far seem to have beautiful, positive results, whether your hair is worn sleek from rollersetting and wrapping or worn with your curls.

Isis

michelle3147 said:
Comb my hair? Ah naw. That is asking for breakage. I just finger comb mine out. I only use a comb when it's time to detangle and smooth out my ends for setting.
Your rollersets always look beautiful, Michelle!! Seems like you're consistent too.

Isis

macherieamour said:
I comb out my sets and wrap if I want a straight look. To prevent breakage, I use some ORS olive oil on small sections and then comb out with a wide tooth comb. In the morning, I flat iron my new growth and about 3/4 of the length (not the ends) for a sleek look.
So you've never had breakage from combing out your rollersets this way Macherieamour? Is it the ORS olive oil or can any olive oil (or oil) work?

lonei

I usually just pin curl with with my hands, i only comb it out if I am going to self trim on dry hair.

Synthia

OT: Lonei, your hair is gorgeous.

Back on topic: I only Caruso Roller set, and like some of the others, I wrap afterwards for a straighter look with just a hint of curl.

I comb out the roller set, wrap, and comb out the wrap with a bone fish tail comb. I find this is the best of both worlds. It doesn't comb out too much girl or tug much at the hair, but it blends very nicely.

KiniKakes

Separate w/fingers. Since my hair is so friggin fine/straight all the time, I really enjoy the look of a fresh rollerset. Its really at its fullest and most bouncy right after she takes out the rollers, and it even appears to be layered..... I like to enjoy that look for the few hours after i leave the salon. Eventually those curls fall plum out, but its fine, because by that time its ready to go into a bun again.

Isis

KiniKakes said:
Separate w/fingers. Since my hair is so friggin fine/straight all the time, I really enjoy the look of a fresh rollerset. Its really at its fullest and most bouncy right after she takes out the rollers, and it even appears to be layered..... I like to enjoy that look for the few hours after i leave the salon. Eventually those curls fall plum out, but its fine, because by that time its ready to go into a bun again.
Your curls look very pretty in your siggy KiniKakes!